Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How aero are the Guru bikes?
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have a link to any studies or any information that compares Guru bikes to other bikes in terms of drag/aero?

Thanks!
Last edited by: highflyer: Jun 28, 11 17:18
Quote Reply
Re: How aero are the Guru bikes? [highflyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

none of their latest 2.0 but still...
Quote Reply
Re: How aero are the Guru bikes? [SeasonsChange] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SeasonsChange wrote:

none of their latest 2.0 but still...

Thanks, so much! That's exactly what I was looking for.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unless you're buying a used custom bike, that graph is pretty useless.

I don't think Guru bikes are even close to superbikes of today(aerodynamically). The CR901 is a great frame, but the selling point isn't that it's the most aero on the market. I'm even worse, riding their very non-aero Titanium Merus frame. Still, their bikes are very high quality, great rides and customer service has been great as well.

For most of us, custom frames are completely unnecessary, but I like having one. It was taking a lot of work to try to get my old stock frame to work for me, so we decided to scrap it and go custom and I've never regretted the decision.

-Andrew
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No studies that I know of (at least not yet), but their newest TT frame, the cr.901 looks very impressive, it is a huge improvement over the Chrono, which I think one could safely say was not so good in the aero dept.

From the looks of it, I would wager that the cr.901 might be somewhere between the p2 and p3 (but that's just an educated guess).

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The CR.901 is Guru's first frame designed with aerodynamics in mind and is far more aerodynamic than their previous frames. The CR.701 utilizes many of the same aerodynamic elements and the CR.501 (formerly the Magis) was updated with internal cable routing. But when you are talking about Guru, or any other custom bike, you have to talk about the system as a whole. As has been discussed many times on this forum, a riders position accounts for the largest amount of drag. The frame on the other hand accounts for a relatively small amount of drag when a rider is aboard pedaling and the wheels are spinning and stirring up the air. Guru's are all about positioning the rider in the optimum position, utilizing few spacers and an neutral handling stem. They also provide the ultimate ride because the geometry of the frame is designed to fit the customers riding style, handling desires and performance needs. In essence, the bike is designed to not only fit the riders position but who the rider is.

Brian Jacobson
Fit2Ride Velo Studio
http://www.fit2ridevelo.com
Quote Reply
Re: How aero are the Guru bikes? [AMT04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a Merus as well. It's awesome. I never gave much thought to aerodynamics when I bought it. Customer service from Guru, as you mentioned, is first rate.
Quote Reply
Re: How aero are the Guru bikes? [SeasonsChange] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, this reflects the older Crono testing and NOT the 901. Correct?
Quote Reply
Re: How aero are the Guru bikes? [wubworm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wubworm wrote:
So, this reflects the older Crono testing and NOT the 901. Correct?

Yes. Thus it is completely worthless in responding to the OP's question.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: How aero are the Guru bikes? [BrianJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BrianJ wrote:
The CR.901 is Guru's first frame designed with aerodynamics in mind and is far more aerodynamic than their previous frames. The CR.701 utilizes many of the same aerodynamic elements and the CR.501 (formerly the Magis) was updated with internal cable routing. But when you are talking about Guru, or any other custom bike, you have to talk about the system as a whole. As has been discussed many times on this forum, a riders position accounts for the largest amount of drag. The frame on the other hand accounts for a relatively small amount of drag when a rider is aboard pedaling and the wheels are spinning and stirring up the air. Guru's are all about positioning the rider in the optimum position, utilizing few spacers and an neutral handling stem. They also provide the ultimate ride because the geometry of the frame is designed to fit the customers riding style, handling desires and performance needs. In essence, the bike is designed to not only fit the riders position but who the rider is.

It s just a bike made with some tube lengh adjustement. As much as it sounds great to say that it is design for ''who the rider is'' it just dosnt really happen. Very minor chance to carbon layup can be done....and it dosnt change much the handeling of the bike........ Costum bikes are a artistic way of making bikes and then someone needs to write something great about them to justify the tag price for it........

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: How aero are the Guru bikes? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the clarification.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As others have mentioned, the newer line of Guru Bikes are much more aerodynamic than the predecessors. I don't know if anyone has seen any numbers on it, but the new frame designs do well in the eyeball windtunnel tests.
The magic of Guru bikes lies in fit and ride quality. Their bikes are pretty amazing to ride, you pay somewhat of a premium price, but you also get what you pay for. I don't know of too many Guru customers who are not satisfied.
Custom bikes aren't necessary for everyone, but they are certainly necessary for some people. A smartly designed custom frame can keep you very satisfied for years to come as your body goes through both positive and negative changes.

Jonathan Blyer,
ACME Bicycle Co., Brooklyn, NY
Quote Reply
Re: How aero are the Guru bikes? [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jonnyo wrote:
BrianJ wrote:

It s just a bike made with some tube lengh adjustement. As much as it sounds great to say that it is design for ''who the rider is'' it just dosnt really happen. Very minor chance to carbon layup can be done....and it dosnt change much the handeling of the bike........ Costum bikes are a artistic way of making bikes and then someone needs to write something great about them to justify the tag price for it........

A couple years ago, I would have vehemently argued with you. I have a "goofy" build and was on a Guru Crono for a couple years. I will say, it was the absolute smoothest and most comfortable ride I have ever owned. Plus, it was simply a work of art with exceptional craftsmanship.

You "challenged" me in a post regarding my fit claiming you could put me on a "stock" bike. Well, you were right. Granted, my flexibility is better now and I am much, much lower than a couple years ago, but, I have been fit perfectly on a PX Stealth, Litespeed Saber and now a Specialized Transition. All of this was done with "average" stems and little to no spacers. The Transition is a better fit than any other bike I have owned.

I will still say the Guru was the most comfortable and beautiful bike I have ever owned. Also, there is a small portion of the population who need a custom frame. I just found out I am not in that group.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a cr.701, and if I have to guess I would say it's in the 'P2-class' for aerodynamics. The rear-wheel cutout and cable routing are very similar to the P2, and as others have pointed out, Guru now uses proper airfoil profiles on their tubing. I'm not positive, but I think the front fork is a 3T. Where the P2 might have the edge is in transitions/tube joins, where Cervelo has a lot more experience in the wind tunnel. That's probably down in the noise, though, swamped by rider position and other things.
Quote Reply
Re: How aero are the Guru bikes? [GaryV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My TriLite is from '05 before they went to a full custom route, when they still made a few models in 'stock' sizing. No complaints on the ride quality and it has never been the bike holding me back, even without a rear wheel cutout, internal cable routing and such. My bike times immediately came down just from making the switch to a dedicated tri bike. Now years later I'm continuing to revise the fit and components but still no complaints about the bike itself. Doesn't mean I would turn down trading up to an '06 AeroTi or even an '06/'07 TriLite, but I'm also not actively shopping for a replacement!
Quote Reply
Re: How aero are the Guru bikes? [Josh_CO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a magis from a couple of years ago and love it. It is beyond comfortable. I love the talk of "the most aero bike" when most people would be better off spending the money on a more aero frame on swim lessons or should just spend more time training...but whatever. Love Guru, and the new frame does look sweet.
Quote Reply