Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How Special is Javier Gomez
Quote | Reply
Those who have followed the sport for many years know all too well how special Javier is. I had the chance to see him win his under 23 World Championships in New Zealand. You knew that day, as he sprinted away on the golf course, how special he was.

Then heart issues nearly ended it all before it really had a chance to begin. He had to lose over a season while doctors did assessments and decided whether he had to retire or continue on. Fortunately for those who love the sport he did get the nod to keep training.

By 2006 he started a string that may never be broken. Every single year, since 2006, Javier has won at least one (many times 2-3, or more) major victories on the ITU circuit. He is a 7x World Champion and will look to try to win his second 70.3 World Title next month when he goes to the USA for the Championship race.

With an Olympic silver, 5 ITU World Titles, a 70.3 World Title and an XTERRA World Title he doesn't have to continue. But he is hungry for more.

Javier will race at the 2017 Ironman 70.3 World Champs, then likely seven days later go the ITU Grand Final. While it maybe nearly impossible to win the 2017 ITU World Champs, he certainly could play the spoiler in Sept at those championships.

Today, winning the Montreal WTS Race, he became the oldest man to ever win. Hard to believe he is now 34 years of age. Javier continues to be one of the sport's great ambassadors. Fans who haven't had a chance to know him, won't appreciate how generous he is with his time with the media and charity. For a dozen years, he has never refused an interview and often spends hours on race week's helping the media and race organizers grow the sport.

Like the great Ivan Rana before him (the Spanish World Champion before Javier), Javier has been an incredible mentor and respected elder statesman for Mario Molo and Fernando Alarza. Both of these men have gotten better, partially from the wisdom and support from Javier.

The 2015 Grand Final, World Championships in Chicago saw one of the all-time great final 10k runs off the bike by Gomez and Mola. Mario won the race, Javier won the World Title and they two were very close 29min for their 10k splits.

Javier's career has not been without setbacks. After dozens of victories in a 3 year window, he went into Beijing World Champs with an injury. He tried to hide it from his peers and the media, but on race day in Beijing, when Simon Whitfield and Bevan Doherty and Jan Frodeno started their epic final sprints, Javier had to settle for 4th and a missed Olympic medal.

Four years later, he was in perhaps the best shape of his life, and only the great Ali Brownlee could run faster to win the London Olympics. Finally Javier had the medal he wanted and needed. Four years later, Gomez was perhaps in his best position to challenge Ali for the gold at the Rio Olympics. Then sadly (for he and lovers of triathlon) a silly, bike crash broke his arm and took him out of the Rio Olympics and the crazy Grand Final in Cozumel.

Who knows if Javier will be around in Tokyo 2020. Knowing he's aging and needs to also check out his long-distance potential, its great to see him heading back to 70.3 World Champs. Will there be an Ironman? I have to imagine yes.

The sport has known some very special - incredible athletes. I have had the chance to watch, meet, have supper and appreciate this unique man through his entire triathlon career. It was a pleasure today, to be a part of the TV Commentary team today in Montreal when he won the WTS Race as the oldest man to ever do so. Watching his emotion at the finishing line, it was clear to me, he's still hungry for more. Triathlon in every form (drafting, non-drafting, off-road) has benefitted from this ambassador. I always like to think about the people I will miss when they are no longer racing and make sure I take EXTRA appreciation of them while they are still here. Today was another one of those EXTRA APPRECIATION DAY.

Regards
Barrie Shepley
WTS TV Commentary & Lover of all things triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: How Special is Javier Gomez [coachbarrie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well said. Enjoy your commentary on triathlon live.
Quote Reply
Re: How Special is Javier Gomez [tyrod1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Appreciate the kind words. Feel great gratitude to have a chance to watch and observe the careers of the sports all time great athletes. Certainly watching one of those careers in Javier.
Quote Reply
Re: How Special is Javier Gomez [tyrod1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tyrod1 wrote:
Well said. Enjoy your commentary on triathlon live.

X2
Quote Reply
Re: How Special is Javier Gomez [s.gentz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great thread and I too enjoy your commentary, the two preveous Sprint distances Gomez was just starting to look like ITU was getting too fast for him.

I'd prety much wrote him off and thought he'd made the wrong decision in sticking around this season and not going long, he's maybe proven me wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gomez is my favorite ITU racer. He can do it all, long, short, tri, mountain bike. He is the man

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, Barrie, nicely done. Javier is my guy, and I'm happy to say that I've raced on his course(s) several times. What a statesman!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gomez is very special indeed. I was very bummed that he broke his collar bone prior to Rio. He had the chance to truly "do it all". I can't wait to see him race 70.3 Worlds and, someday, race Kona.
Quote Reply
Re: How Special is Javier Gomez [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What were the heart issues?
Quote Reply
Re: How Special is Javier Gomez [ErickBar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will follow back up with him to refresh my memory. It was 12-13 years ago, but nearly took him out of sport completely.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was lucky enough to meet him after London Olympics 2012, I was quite new to the sport but he spoke to me about his race as if I was on his level - I came away feeling like his friend. A really lovely guy and I can't wait to see him move up to full distance after what could be an epic 70.3 worlds this year.
Quote Reply
Re: How Special is Javier Gomez [Whitters] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If he doesn't win the ITU world title or win another ITU race will he have wasted his season?

I'm assuming he wants to race Kona, he could have been doing his first this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the man is definitely great at sports.

in terms of tri history, i think in my mind i compare him most closely to greg welch - a really nice guy, good mentor, and dangerous at basically every distance/format. lest we forget that welchy was a weapon from ITGP/super-sprint to ironman, tri and du.

like everyone i'm very curious to see what javi could do at ironman, but in another way i think that's a weird quirk of triathlon (or at least american triathlon) fandom that really stinks: he has such an incredible palmares already, why should IM be the arbiter of greatness? does anyone say they'll only consider usain bolt the greatest once he's won boston?

more than that i'm disappointed by ali's absence from the 70.3 worlds, since i increasingly find that's where some of the most interesting racing is happening. seeing he and javi up against a world-class roster would be great fun.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well said in your post and also your commentary of the WTS race yesterday -- Javier is the most complete, and consistent, triathlete of all-time. Even in an Ironman-centric industry, it is impossible to ignore how incredibly special he is.

Lars Finanger
Odyssey SwimRun
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
like everyone i'm very curious to see what javi could do at ironman, but in another way i think that's a weird quirk of triathlon (or at least american triathlon) fandom that really stinks: he has such an incredible palmares already, why should IM be the arbiter of greatness? does anyone say they'll only consider usain bolt the greatest once he's won boston?

It's not that he needs to win Kona to cement his legacy - I'd just love to see him do it anyway, and if that involves epic battles with the other greats of the age then so much the better
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Out of curiosity what were his heart issues? I never knew of this part of his development.
Quote Reply
Re: How Special is Javier Gomez [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:

more than that i'm disappointed by ali's absence from the 70.3 worlds, since i increasingly find that's where some of the most interesting racing is happening. seeing he and javi up against a world-class roster would be great fun.

I think the only place IM is the arbiter of greatness is on ST among those that race IM.

IM and Olympic are very different sports. Just like your comment on Bolt.

I agree with you on A.B. - I really wanted to see him race 70.3 Worlds.
Quote Reply
Re: How Special is Javier Gomez [bcagle25] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bcagle25 wrote:
Out of curiosity what were his heart issues? I never knew of this part of his development.

I think he covers it quite well in his long interview with Bob Babbitt a few years ago, but essentially some suspected defect was picked up by the Spanish federation during routine pre-season testing. They deemed it was serious enough to force him to stop racing, which he was then forced to because they wouldn't accredit his races. I think he potentially missed out on going to the 2004 Olympics as a result and it took at least a year for him to manage to prove that it wasn't as serious as first thought.

(that's roughly speaking, might be a few minor inaccuracies in there)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Javier is finally back racing, he won what looks like some local Spanish race, hope he can get back to his best for next year.
Quote Reply
Re: How Special is Javier Gomez [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He won a local olympic-distance race organized by one of his main sponsors and he will race a half distance next weekend. He said he didn't want to retire injured and hopes to come back and race something next year. If he shows up, he's fit and ready as he showed this weekend.
Quote Reply
Re: How Special is Javier Gomez [messien] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some years late, but here is what I read in his biography. During a training camp with the Spanish team, they discovered he had a bicuspid heart valve. This is the basics that impedes blood flowing back in the wrong direction from the heart. A normal person has a tricuspid valve. I.e. the valve is triple, and his is double. This means the risk of flow back is higher. It also means it's like natural mechanical doping, because blood flow smoother into the heart.

The Spanish federation suspended his license. He then started competing in France with a Swiss license (not 100% sure). He was then able to get his license back and win the under 23 world championship without having competed for a long time. To then having his license frozen again. He had to pay a lawyer and a cardiologist to get the license back. When the 2004 Olympics came, he was in conditions to race, but sour grapes in the Spanish federation would not allow for it. All in all, he lost like two years during the process.
Quote Reply
Re: How Special is Javier Gomez [Xath10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Xath10 wrote:
He won a local olympic-distance race organized by one of his main sponsors and he will race a half distance next weekend. He said he didn't want to retire injured and hopes to come back and race something next year. If he shows up, he's fit and ready as he showed this weekend.

so good to see. i've missed him these last years and i think the way some races have played out would really have benefitted him. st.george and nice, for instance, would probably be good courses for him.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: How Special is Javier Gomez [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep I wonder how a fit Gomez would have done in the PTOs etc, he's missed a lot of racing and his age isn't on his side now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
True and one of my all time favorites in the sport. Had some terrible luck around Olympic races... Beijing/Rio, won Xterra worlds, 70.3 Worlds twice, 5 time ITU champ, won Hyvee, Escape from Alcatraz and the list just goes on. Definitely an amazing talent and good to see him racing again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would LOVE to see a fit Gomez and Brownlee race the PTO circuit next year. Fingers crossed they can both get race for for a season. It would add some real spice to the PTO to have the new generation racing these bad ass dudes, pushing each other to their limits.

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply

Prev Next