Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How Many Bikes Do You Have? How many do you actually use?
Quote | Reply
I've got too many. And I don't use them enough.
Quote Reply
Re: How Many Bikes Do You Have? How many do you actually use? [djwrekless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HERESY!
In all seriousness, I have 5 or 6.
Road bike I use most, do about 90% of training on it, as well as crits and DL tris
TT bike mostly reserved for racing and a few rides before a race.
MTB doesn't get as much use as I would like, but that's because I moved somewhere that's an hour-plus from decent trails, so weeknight rides are out of the question really. I race on it a couple of XTERRAs a year and ride it maybe once or twice a month.
CX bike mostly really only ridden 10ish races a year.
"Cruiser" bike is actually an 80s era road bike. I will probably get rid of this in exchange for a proper beach cruiser soon so it's more conducive to riding around the beach.
The 6th bike I sort of have is my old MTB that lives at my parents' house. I don't ever ride it even when I'm there, but I suppose I do still own it

IG: idking90
Quote Reply
Re: How Many Bikes Do You Have? How many do you actually use? [djwrekless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got 3, race bike, commuter/roadie, and mountain bike.

All get good use. Race bike less in the winter though.

djwrekless wrote:

2 TT
2 Road bikes
1 MTB

I have the same dilemma.

1) Generally i only ride 1 tt - and i only do the occasional race with it - the second tri bike has to go and potentially both
2) 2 roadbikes - this is difficult one is a daily trainer bike; the other a race bike so although the race bike doesn't get a ton of use its generally 3-4 times a month
3) MTB - its a 26er so I give it to my GF to ride when we do the fun weekend beach rides

i would say MTB and the 2 roadbikes get most usage. i think i will sell the TT's and just race a roadbike for the fun triathlons.
Last edited by: trix99: Apr 16, 14 8:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1 TT
1 Road
1 MTB

I probably train on the TT and road bikes about the same amount. The MTB only goes out for a few rides every month but I really should take it out more.
Last edited by: XT2: Apr 16, 14 8:41
Quote Reply
Re: How Many Bikes Do You Have? How many do you actually use? [XT2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1 tt
2 road

TT gets about 25% of the miles my road bike gets. Ive also got a 1980s centurion dave scott edition that I just cant get rid of. Shimano 600 FTW

Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Road/Tri- TitanFlex Transition
Cross- LeMond Poprad
Mtn- Fisher Caliber 29
Old Road/dedicated trainer bike- Trek 5500

The only one not in the regular rotation is the Mtn bike mostly due to time logistics.

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1 MTB (SS monstercrosser) that gets regular use during lunchtime
2 road bikes (both Softrides, 1 gets used regularly)
1 road bike that's getting shipped to Illinois for when I travel there
1 gravel bike that gets a lot of use as rain bike as well
1 TT bike that gets dragged out on the few weeks before I do a tri
1 "road" bike (Scott Waimea) that's "permanently" affixed to the trainer and gets used regularly
1 track bike (also a Softride) that hasn't seen much of any use in years
1 TT bike that is in need of some modification, but will rarely see use (it's more for nostalgic value)

So that makes 9 total, and of those, 4 get regular use, 3 on the road/trail. Since I'm starting to build frames, I can see this number growing as I test out configurations... One cross/gravel bike in the works.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Scott Road Bike - Gets the most use
2. Felt DA - Hanging up
3. Blue - Norcross - Favorite
4. Scott Mountain Bike - Mainly just gets raced
5. Milkbar - Daily commuter, gets a little use.

6. Serotta CXII frame - wanting to sell. Boxed up for a few years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kestrel 4000 tri bike

Kestrel Talon with a crack, permanently on the Computrainer

Colnago Dream HP, the pride of the fleet and the best riding road bike I've ever ridden

Trek 5200, over 10 years old and still great, my bad weather bike

Look steel road bike, it stays at my house in the mountains to make me work harder on the climbs

Niner Jet9 and Niner EMD9 mountain bikes, one should be at each house but right now they are both here together and both get used.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Own 2- road and tri.

I never actually use the road bike except in cases of extreme emergency (meaning that the tri bike is in for some sort of repair). When I do ride the road bike, it just feels wrong without aero bars.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: How Many Bikes Do You Have? How many do you actually use? [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Roughly 7.

2 Road (one boxed up and sitting in my brother's garage out of state)
2 Tri
1 Fixed Speed
1 CX
...adding a mountain bike today

yeah...it's a problem. Damn yoouuuu Craigslist!

brider,

you're making me feel better about myself :)

Last edited by: djwrekless: Apr 16, 14 9:04
Quote Reply
Post deleted by djwrekless [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have about 9 complete bikes. Of that 5 get used quite a lot. The others are used sparingly but they aren't worth it to sell, so I keep them around for nostalgia purposes. I haven't sold a bike since 1987, so it isn't hard to build up 9 bikes in 25 years. Still seems a bit nuts though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Four, and all of them get used in their turn:
Winter commuter - ragged old mountain bike turned single speed for when the snows arrive
Rainy commuter - ragged old Peugot turned fixed gear
Nice weather commuter - cheapo built up fixed gear
Road bike - ragged old Fort, about time for annual CPR to blow a little more life into her.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Venge - Use A LOT
Transition - Use A LOT
CX Bike - Use sometimes and commute on it
Surly Troll - Sometimes and commute
Mtn Bike - Don't use at all, need to sell
Old Mtn Bike - Rarly but keeping it
Quote Reply
Re: How Many Bikes Do You Have? How many do you actually use? [RobbyT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a Centurion Dave Scott as well. Mine has Shimano 105. Its the pink and yellow one. I rescued the thing out of the back of pickup truck, covered in all kinds of random garbage. Cleaned it up and hung it in the garage.

I also have two Tri bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got four bikes:

Roadie: Trek 2.3

TT: Felt DA

CX: Felt F4X

MTB: Niner Air 9

Outdoor road training is probably 70/30 roadie/TT

Indoor training is all TT

Get on the MTB every chance I get, but less than the road bikes.

Obviously, the appropriate bike is used for the appropriate race.

-Stephen in Arkansas
Last edited by: razorbacksteve: Apr 16, 14 9:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From most to least ridden:

2008 Cervelo P3C
2004 Specialized Allez Pro
Unknown year Tsunami converted to fixed gear
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Four bikes. MTB, roadie, 2 tri bikes. Old tri bike lives on the Computrainer and gets used 2-3x /week. New tri bike gets to play outside ~ 2x/week and race. Roadie is for organized and social rides and some training rides that aren't appropriate for a tri bike, like Texas Hill Country rides. Love those. MTB doesn't get used nearly as often as I would like. A couple of people have offered to buy one or more of them and that's so not gonna happen. It would be like selling one of my kids.

"A merry heart doeth good like medicine." (Proverbs 17:22)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
4 right now

1 tri bike
2 road bikes (one new one and one older one)
1 mountain bike

I got ride of 3 bikes last year:
Sold a tri bike
Gave away a track bike and a mountain bike.

Probably will get rid of the older road bike when I'm completely happy with the newer one.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
road bike - use a lot
TT bike - use for races but will train on it for longer events
CX bike - use a lot because I do 10-12 CX races per year
townie single speed - use a little when we go out to eat/to the pub
old road bike converted to SS - haven't used yet but it was free
old tri bike frame - can't sell because it's how I met my spouse
I'd like a single speed CX bike and then I'd race that too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Three and all get used a lot.

Road - Trek Madone 6.9
Tri - Giant Advanced Trinity SL-1
Tri - BMC TM01

Contemplating a mountain bike.
Quote Reply
Re: How Many Bikes Do You Have? How many do you actually use? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3 Bikes

Tri - Cervelo, all my races and longer rides on weekends
Road - Lower level Trek, Commute to work when it is nice and some small group rides with guys around town
Mountain - Currently has a kid seat on the back to go to the park, gets ocassional use on some trails

I know this might sound crazy to some of you, but I don't need anything else. The only thing would be to ungrade to nicer versions, but dont need to add any more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
djwrekless wrote:

^ This.

Bike I ride all the damn time:
2012 Boardman SLR9.2

Bikes I ride fairly often:
2011 Trek Fuel EX6
2006 S-Works Transition

Bikes I sometimes ride:
1994 Eddy Merckx MX-Leader, Team Telekom colours
1978 Unknown brand, super-sweet Italian road bike, Campy Nuovo Record/Mavic tubular rims

Bikes I don't ride:
2009 Specialized Hardrock Sport
Unfinished project -- '70s CCM being converted to SS
Boardman SLR frame that I need to get fixed (carport entry error :-( )

I need to get rid of the Hardrock and the old CCM. Then I can get myself a cheapo CX bike and still have more room in the house.

----------------------------------
http://ironvision.blogspot.com ; @drSteve1663
Quote Reply

Prev Next