Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How Low-Cost Gyms Like Planet Fitness Psychologically Manipulate Members Into NOT Going To The Gym [TunaBoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TunaBoo wrote:
It is amusing to watch on youtube though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeBb-8nWANA

I would be pissed to hear that alarm going off! That is much more invasive than anyone grunting or dropping weights.
Quote Reply
Re: How Low-Cost Gyms Like Planet Fitness Psychologically Manipulate Members Into NOT Going To The Gym [TunaBoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TunaBoo wrote:
I don't like planet fitness because of

a) Lunk alarm (you can't grunt or drop weights? Really? )
b) No squat or deadlift setup
c) Fat people
d) Free food

Wow... you hate going to a gym because over-weight people may be there? You're a fucking prick. Some people are overweight and decide to change their lives, sometimes it works out but most of the time it doesn't. One big inhibitor, is assholes like you making sure fat people know they aren't one of "us".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow! I never heard of that before. They apparently don't want any serious gym rats in their clubs. It doesn't bother me in the least if someone is grunting to lift heavy weights.
Quote Reply
Re: How Low-Cost Gyms Like Planet Fitness Psychologically Manipulate Members Into NOT Going To The Gym [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sometimes it gets obsessive. When I was in college, some jacked do to rate student was doing leg extensions with me. He was bigger than me yet doing less weigh and screaming progressively louder with each rep. And for the finally he fell to the floor screaming in agony. Only to stand up and say that is how you do it baby. I was embarrassed to be next to him. That is the extreme, but there are a lot of not so jacked and jacked people that are closer to that than what is reasonable. I wish they would drop the weight on their heads. And there is no excuse for dropping weights. In my prime I was db pressing 150's and I never screamed loud, nor did I drop them.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: How Low-Cost Gyms Like Planet Fitness Psychologically Manipulate Members Into NOT Going To The Gym [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As with most things it's a matter of degree. A little grunting, no big deal. But when the weight apes are basically just screaming at each other it gets ridiculous. Even more so because muchit, and the throwing of the weights, is mostly just theatrics. I'd like to tell them to STFU, but I'm frightened of the roid rage tantrum that would follow.
Quote Reply
Re: How Low-Cost Gyms Like Planet Fitness Psychologically Manipulate Members Into NOT Going To The Gym [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:
And there is no excuse for dropping weights.

So after those guys do a snatch in the olympics the lunk alarm should go off?
Quote Reply
Post deleted by crujones#33 [ In reply to ]
Re: How Low-Cost Gyms Like Planet Fitness Psychologically Manipulate Members Into NOT Going To The Gym [Nick B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Having worked for said gym, I can say that their business model is based on members not using the facility. That being said they aren't proactively encouraging it.

"4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul"
Quote Reply
Re: How Low-Cost Gyms Like Planet Fitness Psychologically Manipulate Members Into NOT Going To The Gym [warwicke36] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
warwicke36 wrote:
Having worked for said gym, I can say that their business model is based on members not using the facility. That being said they aren't proactively encouraging it.

I'm the idiot who didn't (and won't) read the posted article, but was that the point? Pretty much all commercial gyms (and numerous other businesses) base their business model off people not using what they pay for. Big whoop. Planet Fitness, at least around here, is a hilarious joke of a gym that should probably go back to its original name (Curves), but what a pointless article.
Quote Reply
Re: How Low-Cost Gyms Like Planet Fitness Psychologically Manipulate Members Into NOT Going To The Gym [mrtopher1980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First, I was a power lifter and did Olympic lifting. Second, how many gyms do you see people doing that in correct form? Next, if they do, it is usually a designated space with padding or padded/rubber weights.

That is an exception.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: How Low-Cost Gyms Like Planet Fitness Psychologically Manipulate Members Into NOT Going To The Gym [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:
That is an exception.

So words don't have meanings, got it.
Quote Reply
Re: How Low-Cost Gyms Like Planet Fitness Psychologically Manipulate Members Into NOT Going To The Gym [TunaBoo]n [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's wrong with food at a gym? I just ran 10 miles on a treadmill, I would love a slice of pizza or bagal on the drive home?

My LA fitness has a "please no Roids in the bathroom sign" in the locker room. I knew I picked a good chain to join.
Last edited by: npage148: Dec 21, 14 7:18
Quote Reply
Re: How Low-Cost Gyms Like Planet Fitness Psychologically Manipulate Members Into NOT Going To The Gym [mrtopher1980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mrtopher1980 wrote:
TheForge wrote:
That is an exception.

So words don't have meanings, got it.

If you are inflexible or unable to think maybe. There I s a time and place for Olympic style Lifting and that isn't in 95% of gyms. I think anybody with a brain who read what I posted could figure that out.

Quote Reply
Re: How Low-Cost Gyms Like Planet Fitness Psychologically Manipulate Members Into NOT Going To The Gym [TunaBoo]n [npage148] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That sign is a little outdated I would think. In the 80's and 90's pill bottles and needles in the locker room trash were Common place in gyms with significant weight.

Quote Reply
Re: How Low-Cost Gyms Like Planet Fitness Psychologically Manipulate Members Into NOT Going To The Gym [stop2think] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stop2think wrote:
Planet Fitness, at least around here, is a hilarious joke of a gym that should probably go back to its original name (Curves), but what a pointless article.

Curves and Planet Fitness are separate corporate entitites--they were both founded in 1992, by different people in different states (Texas and New Hampshire). Beyond that coincidence, there's no connection between the two.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:
If you are inflexible or unable to think maybe.

I'm not the one that said there was no excuse then made up some crap about being able to lift X amount just fine so everyone else should be able to while ignoring a very large segment of lifting that REQUIRES that weight be dropped in order to prevent injury when working with heavy loads.

While I'm not saying that planet fitness is the place, you made a false claim, I clarified it.

Because of statements like your places like Planet fitness exist and create a group of people that believe that there isn't a time and place. Why are you so proud of being wrong?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are over thinking this. We're talking about planet fitness. Somebody mentioned there is a rule against it. I said there is no excuse, if you have to drop weights, you are lifting too much. You brought up Olympic lifting. You can't do Olympic lifting at planet fitness. You cannot do it at most gyms, and require special equipment not available at most gyms to do it. I think any reasonable person could negotiate that. You can't seem to. You are hung up on a simple statement I said in a post. I must of hit a nerve. At least you didn't criticize my punctuation like most do when they got nothing.

Last edited by: TheForge: Dec 21, 14 15:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually nothing in your post was about planet fitness at all, but you know why would you actually know what you wrote.

You (or anyone really) never once in your (their) life failed a 1rm max attempt? Is that an excuse? no one has ever been injured or had pain from an existing injury? is that an excuse?

Seems that along with actual lifts that require you to drop weights there are plenty of "excuses", or what most reasonable people would simply cause reasons.

I don't need to criticize your punctuation because I have something. You came in here to mock people, made a false claim in the processed and were called on it.
Quote Reply
Re: How Low-Cost Gyms Like Planet Fitness Psychologically Manipulate Members Into NOT Going To The Gym [djastroman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you read the fine print, breaking the $10/mo PF agreement in your first year will cost you $$.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: How Low-Cost Gyms Like Planet Fitness Psychologically Manipulate Members Into NOT Going To The Gym [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:
If you read the fine print, breaking the $10/mo PF agreement in your first year will cost you $$.

That may be true in some cases, but not in my particular case. I don't have any commitment in my contract. I think I joined during a special promotion.

@davempratt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mrtopher1980 wrote:
Actually nothing in your post was about planet fitness at all, but you know why would you actually know what you wrote.

You (or anyone really) never once in your (their) life failed a 1rm max attempt? Is that an excuse? no one has ever been injured or had pain from an existing injury? is that an excuse?

Seems that along with actual lifts that require you to drop weights there are plenty of "excuses", or what most reasonable people would simply cause reasons.

I don't need to criticize your punctuation because I have something. You came in here to mock people, made a false claim in the processed and were called on it.

Usually when somebody post something like you have here, they have a pattern of such. So I looked up your post history and I was right. So I'm going to post what somebody else who probably felt debating you on such irrelevant matters was like masturbating. Here goes.

You won the internets today.

Quote Reply
Re: How Low-Cost Gyms Like Planet Fitness Psychologically Manipulate Members Into NOT Going To The Gym [Vman455] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vman455 wrote:
stop2think wrote:
Planet Fitness, at least around here, is a hilarious joke of a gym that should probably go back to its original name (Curves), but what a pointless article.

Curves and Planet Fitness are separate corporate entitites--they were both founded in 1992, by different people in different states (Texas and New Hampshire). Beyond that coincidence, there's no connection between the two.

Uhhh, I am well aware of that. The local Planet Fitness has almost zero free weights and all the ridiculous rules that have been mentioned, hence the joke.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:
You brought up Olympic lifting. You can't do Olympic lifting at planet fitness. You cannot do it at most gyms, and require special equipment not available at most gyms to do it.

I have been to A LOT of gyms, the local PF is the only one I can recall where olympic lifting is not allowed. A few do not have bumpers, but you could olympic lift as long as you didn't dump the weights. In fact, at my region's largest chain (was Gold's Gym, now VASA), every site has an olympic platform. Maybe it's a regional thing.
Quote Reply
Re: How Low-Cost Gyms Like Planet Fitness Psychologically Manipulate Members Into NOT Going To The Gym [stop2think] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stop2think wrote:

Uhhh, I am well aware of that. The local Planet Fitness has almost zero free weights and all the ridiculous rules that have been mentioned, hence the joke.

What do you mean planet fitness has almost zero free weights? Since everything The Forge posted was about Planet Fitness he has apparently done 150lbs dumbbell presses there!

Or was it everything in this post was about planet fitness other than his post, but then if you call him out on something in his post then suddenly its about planet fitness..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:

Usually when somebody post something like you have here, they have a pattern of such. So I looked up your post history and I was right.

Yes I have a history of calling out incorrect statements. And I didn't need to look up your history I'm aware that you post incorrect things, that you some how are proud of, then get all pissy when someone attempts to correct it.

I don't know about you but I don't care about winning the internet, I do care about actual correct information being given. This place has enough misinformation floating around regarding exercise outside of SBR, as someone who claims to have experience with lifting one would actually think you'd be here to stop the spread of that misinformation instead you are actually trying to continue it. Seems foolish.
Quote Reply

Prev Next