Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How Important is the "Look" [Dtyrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've never gotten a very good look at speed, its always passed me in a blur.

Great comment, btw.

Tad

It took awhile, but I finally discovered that its not the destination that's important, but rather the journey.
Quote Reply
Re: How Important is the "Look" [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The IA is faster in higher yaw. No one beats the P5 in low yaw conditions.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: How Important is the "Look" [ENP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha ha... Looks and gear is the MOST important thing in the world!!! Skill's are secondary... (With an ounce of ironi..)

But all things aside - I do appriciate that shoes, helmet, Googles, suit and bike match - but not important overall
Quote Reply
Re: How Important is the "Look" [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
The IA is faster in higher yaw. No one beats the P5 in low yaw conditions.

Didn't the dimond "beat" the p5 at zero?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe, I don't know for sure. Let's look for the data. I've seen the data on the IA vs P5

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Found it http://www.rustersports.com/...eport-11.14.2013.pdf

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tell myself that looks are important. However, reality tells me that I'm a middle-aged triathlete. Even the best looking gear can't make me look cool. In the end, I allow looks to deny a purchase (for example: I won't buy or wear anything in which the words "hot" or "neon" followed by a color are an appropriate description). I will not allow my opinion on looks to justify a crappy product. Given 2 products of equal functionality, but the cooler looking one is significantly more expensive (>3%), I'll probably just be comfortable in my dorkiness.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: How Important is the "Look" [Nick B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nick B wrote:
Personal fact: I will pay more for things that are matte black.

Matte black is the new black, I think.

AndyF
bike geek
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Semi-important. With something like running shoes I think there are now practically no limits as they come in so many, otherwise, strange colours. With bikes the choice is usually much more restricted. When looking for a new bike earlier this year I just found a number of suitable bikes (in terms of price and performance) and then picked out the one I liked most in terms of looks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have an orange Poc Tempor...
Quote Reply
Re: How Important is the "Look" [Dtyrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dtyrrell wrote:
Personally, I love passing the guys that go out of their way to style themselves on a $10,000 bike with all the newest gear. That being said, if I had the money to spare, I'd probably do the same. Looking good is a perk, but speed is where it's at. Speed looks good.

I love reading this, yet I rarely see it. I'm one of those guys on a expensive bike and I tend to only get passed by other guys on similar bikes, yet I pass a ton of guys on cheaper bikes. (could be because my swim sucks, but so be it)

Now if you are talking about passing 60+ year olds on $10k bikes - well, good for you. - you should.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ENP wrote:
How important to you is the look of how good your gear is?

Ranging from running shoes, to goggles to bikes and everything in between.

Bascially, how much more are you willing to pay for something with the same functionality but it just looks cooler?

SOOO Bummed! When I saw the title I was hoping for another discussion of this:

Quote Reply
Re: How Important is the "Look" [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
Dtyrrell wrote:
Personally, I love passing the guys that go out of their way to style themselves on a $10,000 bike with all the newest gear. That being said, if I had the money to spare, I'd probably do the same. Looking good is a perk, but speed is where it's at. Speed looks good.

I love reading this, yet I rarely see it. I'm one of those guys on a expensive bike and I tend to only get passed by other guys on similar bikes, yet I pass a ton of guys on cheaper bikes. (could be because my swim sucks, but so be it)

Now if you are talking about passing 60+ year olds on $10k bikes - well, good for you. - you should.

Yeah, me too. I, too, love the idea of someone (me?) being on "lesser" gear and whoopin up on somebody with better stuff but I just don't see it often in my neck of the woods. Plus, I am also on a P3 with 404 & Zipp disc and I'm only getting passed (not terribly often either) by guys on similar setups. I am also a slow swimmer so I have that going for me as well...
Last edited by: 323Runner: Dec 18, 14 13:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK...

I couldn't resist, you'll die laughing. It's better to look good than, feel good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0RTD7250II

Happy holidays

From the guy who rides in t-shirts so "I don't look like a "biker"" more fun passing people that way!!!

Looks don't win races.

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Once again, it's looks all the way for me. Take a look at Camaganolo's beautiful super record crank set

Here is the new super Record cranks that's supposidly stiffer, better,faster, etc. The only problem is that it looks like shit. Who cares if the previous version is not as stiff, faster,etc; the older crank looks a million times better.

Quote Reply
Re: How Important is the "Look" [Bull_Winkle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bull_Winkle wrote:
Here is the new super Record cranks that's supposidly stiffer, better,faster, etc. The only problem is that it looks like shit. Who cares if the previous version is not as stiff, faster,etc; the older crank looks a million times better.

Glad I'm not the only one

Brian

Brian

Gonna buy a fast car, put on my lead boots, take a long, long drive
I may end up spending all my money, but I'll still be alive
Quote Reply
Re: How Important is the "Look" [Bull_Winkle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bull_Winkle wrote:

that looks like a scrotum pinned down to a dissection table.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Naturally you're looking to buy a product you desire/require, so in that sense function always comes first. Running shoes are the items that I often don't like the look of as much, but don't care about the look so long as they match my spec list.
Last edited by: sharkbait_au: Dec 18, 14 14:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMO, "looks" and function tend to go hand and hand.

I quoted looks because what looks cool is most generally determined by trendsetters. The trendsetters in racing are the people going the fastest. This is inclusive of all types of racing (tri, cycling, auto, horse, what have you). The trendsetters pick the fastest gear and the masses follow with the same style. This is the reason for the enormous market of knock-offs. People who care more about looks will pay less for a product that looks like the gear the fastest people are using, even though, most times, they could get a better performing product in their budget that does not look like the fastest thing out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't believe this is even the subject of debate around here.

Your triathlon LOOK is everything. The LOOK of YOU and the LOOK of all of your TRIATHLON EQUIPTMENT and YOU in that LOOK, within that LOOK, being in that LOOK, moving in and within that LOOK both TO YOU and TO OTHERS is everything. It is, as Sartre says, a being in and of itself. It is the quintessence, the paragon, the God of all being in reality of triathlon. It transcends:

1. Speed
2. Results
3. Health and fitness;
4. Relationships, including marriage
Quote Reply
Re: How Important is the "Look" [mistergomez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mistergomez wrote:
I can't believe this is even the subject of debate around here.

Your triathlon LOOK is everything. The LOOK of YOU and the LOOK of all of your TRIATHLON EQUIPTMENT and YOU in that LOOK, within that LOOK, being in that LOOK, moving in and within that LOOK both TO YOU and TO OTHERS is everything. It is, as Sartre says, a being in and of itself. It is the quintessence, the paragon, the God of all being in reality of triathlon. It transcends:

1. Speed
2. Results
3. Health and fitness;
4. Relationships, including marriage
I only lurk these days, but you need to post more.
Quote Reply
Re: How Important is the "Look" [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kjmcawesome wrote:
broncotw wrote:
Have to admit if I don't like the way it looks I will generally not purchase it!

Yep. I won't purchase something JUST because it looks good. But if it works well and is ugly, I'll look for something almost as good that looks better.

This comment pretty much sums up my thoughts as well.

If it looks like ass, no matter how fast it is, I won't buy it. Instead, I'll look for something that performs at about 98-99% and looks good.

My quote that I stand by is this: "If you're not going to win the race, you might as well look the best." Only one person wins, but if you're in the other 99%, you can certainly look awesome competing!
Quote Reply
Re: How Important is the "Look" [krez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Look good, feel good, feel fast, be fast.

I don't mind paying an extra twenty bucks for color scheme that matches. Good parts on my bike, color clothes to match the part!
Quote Reply
Re: How Important is the "Look" [Stewed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So we are pretty much sayin if the POC TT helmet that looks like a Jedi mind trick, were say 4 sec per kilo faster on any head at any angle we would not buy it? I would guess probably 90% of the earths population think we look pretty silly no matter how cool we think our kit is or bike looks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are women (or men, if that is your preference) included in this discussion?
Quote Reply

Prev Next