Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Hotshot - article share and questions for triathletes [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have enough, and shipping cost to Canada is prohibitive…thanks anyway for the offer
Quote Reply
Re: Hotshot - article share and questions for triathletes [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
Once you cramp, IMO, you are pretty well screwed. You may be able to salvage race, but I don't think you'll ever have a "best performance." You need to stop cramps from happening; not fix them once they happen...

I think you make some good points and may well be right about electrolytes being a factor. But everything I see, is that while fitness and possibly nutrition are a factor in cramping, some people are just more susceptible to them than others. My wife is an extreme case in that as she's gotten older, cramping has become a chronic problem and interferes not just with racing, but everyday training and even sometimes everyday life. She's tried everything, including electrolytes, and ultimately for her, the only thing that has prevented cramps is not more training or nutrition, but taking Hotshot preventatively. And she's started to cramp up during a race and taken Hotshot and finished successfully. However, it's also become clear to me that Hotshot doesn't work for everyone and unfortunately the company's marketing is very aggressive and there's no fine print saying it won't work for everyone.

Earlier this year I did an epic century with massive amounts of climbing. One guy who was woefully underprepared, low base and no long rides, survived the ride without cramping. Another guy I know who rides 200-300 miles per week year round, ended up walking one of the climbs due to cramping. I'm pretty sure he knows how to take care of himself nutritionally.

Cramping is a complex subject that still isn't fully understood and hopefully this will change over time.
Quote Reply
Re: Hotshot - article share and questions for triathletes [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jordan,

I appreciate you chiming in and offering your thoughts.

I haven't read the linked article but will later today, and in the interim, I wanted to follow up to get your thoughts on electrolytes and stitches.

In a pure running race at 10 km that is finished in 30 to 35 minutes, do you think taking in additional electrolytes in the day or two leading up could help to prevent a stitch? Once it hits during the race, you are pretty much screwed as you watch your pace drop a good 30 seconds per mile and trying to be reactive at that point is pretty much pointless.

I've never had a stitch issue to the same degree in a 5 km run race or a short course triathlon, partially because it seems to be running that causes the stitch as you noted, and the 10 km distance seems to be long enough at a high enough intensity that it can trigger this, whereas something a bit shorter or a run off the bike that is a bit slower seems to be okay.

I generally race on a completely empty stomach for an effort of this length to prevent GI issues (train the same way with early morning sessions), so not sure if that could have anything to do with it, but its something I'd like to get sorted...
Quote Reply
Re: Hotshot - article share and questions for triathletes [watson79] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tried it for the first time in Austin yesterday. Was planning to keep it for the run but low back was getting tight along with quads late in the bike, so not full on cramps, but there was a noticeable difference after consuming. Just felt more loose and relaxed.
Quote Reply
Re: Hotshot - article share and questions for triathletes [dale3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dale3 wrote:
Jordan,

I appreciate you chiming in and offering your thoughts.

I haven't read the linked article but will later today, and in the interim, I wanted to follow up to get your thoughts on electrolytes and stitches.

In a pure running race at 10 km that is finished in 30 to 35 minutes, do you think taking in additional electrolytes in the day or two leading up could help to prevent a stitch? Once it hits during the race, you are pretty much screwed as you watch your pace drop a good 30 seconds per mile and trying to be reactive at that point is pretty much pointless.

I've never had a stitch issue to the same degree in a 5 km run race or a short course triathlon, partially because it seems to be running that causes the stitch as you noted, and the 10 km distance seems to be long enough at a high enough intensity that it can trigger this, whereas something a bit shorter or a run off the bike that is a bit slower seems to be okay.

I generally race on a completely empty stomach for an effort of this length to prevent GI issues (train the same way with early morning sessions), so not sure if that could have anything to do with it, but its something I'd like to get sorted...

The nice thing about something simple like a sodium load is that it is super easy and cheap to try. If you use Stacy Sims (founder of OSMO, co-founder of Skratch) rule of thumb, you can just do it with Kosher salt. It's not ideal, but it's cheap. Just make sure you don't use iodized salt, because you'll get too much iodine. So if you just take a big hit of sodium the night before and morning of - meaning 1500-2000mg night before AND morning of - you can see if it helps.

I can't imagine for 5km/10km that racing on an empty stomach would matter much. But certainly can see if you are doing it in the morning, you'd want something to at least bring your blood sugar up after sleeping. You shouldn't eat much. But I'd think you'd want something after not eating since dinner.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Last edited by: Rappstar: Oct 31, 16 9:53
Quote Reply

Prev Next