Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hotfoot at IMCdA
Quote | Reply
On the bike at IMCdA I experienced something I have never before in 16 years of racing and 3 other IM's.

By now, nearly everyone is aware of how hot that race was. On the second lap of the bike course, maybe after about mile 70, the bottoms of my feet started to hurt/burn. When coasting downhill, I could pull my feet up away from the soles of the shoes, leaving just a tiny amount of space between the bottom of my feet and the soles of the shoes, and there would be relief until I started pedaling again. My feet were fine for the run...no blisters.

I think what what happened was the radiated heat from the asphalt heated the black carbon soles of my bike shoes, and that conducted through to my feet. It was bearable, but noteworthy.

Did anyone else experience this?

Proud to post only occasionally.

http://tribomber.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Re: Hotfoot at IMCdA [bomber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I actually took a water bottle and squirted some water in my shoes on the second lap. I think it was the heat in general, constant pressure on the pedals, and maybe some feet swelling but I had the same experience. I've had it in other hot races where your feet just feel hot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I experienced the same thing. I also think it was a combination of pressure on the pedals and the heat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have experienced the same thing - the doctor said it was caused by excessive watts

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Re: Hotfoot at IMCdA [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:
I have experienced the same thing - the doctor said it was caused by excessive watts

And here I thought it was all about pedal force, but the doctor said that if you went with low pedal force but did a gazillion RPM and did high watts, you get the same problem (Pink optional....)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Noted. Next hot race double-sticky some mylar to the bottoms of bike shoes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The top of my left foot felt like it was on fire twice on the run. Both in the same spot on my foot and on the course (right when you turned right onto Coeur D' Alene Lake Dr. up that small grade). Luckily the aid station was just over the rise and I got relief.

I finally found a really good reason to be running in one of the high-front trucker hats--you can fit many ice cubes in there to help cool off!
Quote Reply
Re: Hotfoot at IMCdA [AKCrafty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Like a poster above, I stuck the bottle in my shoes and gave a squirt at a few of the aid stations. My feet and particularly my big toes do get very hot on longer hot rides, after about 3. 5 hours or so. On a few of them, I've pulled my feet out of the shoe and pedaled on top of my shoe for a few minutes and it helps a lot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had the same thing happen to me riding in the heat of day on the Queen K. It convinced me to stop riding there without socks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bomber wrote:
On the bike at IMCdA I experienced something I have never before in 16 years of racing and 3 other IM's.

By now, nearly everyone is aware of how hot that race was. On the second lap of the bike course, maybe after about mile 70, the bottoms of my feet started to hurt/burn. When coasting downhill, I could pull my feet up away from the soles of the shoes, leaving just a tiny amount of space between the bottom of my feet and the soles of the shoes, and there would be relief until I started pedaling again. My feet were fine for the run...no blisters.

I think what what happened was the radiated heat from the asphalt heated the black carbon soles of my bike shoes, and that conducted through to my feet. It was bearable, but noteworthy.

YES YES YES!!! Nice to hear I was not the only one. Mine hurt so bad that I would just quit pedaling every chance I got. Was maintaining an average power of 220 through the first 60 miles until this started. Once the hotfoot kicked in, my overall average power dropped to 203 simply because it hurt too much to apply pressure with the intense burning.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yes ... to add in hot temps your feet swell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To those who experienced this - were you riding with socks? I think it helps isolating the feet from too much heat.
I did cda with zoot socks. Absolutely no pain, no blisters, nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was crushed by the heat at the 80 mile mark, 4 hours in on the bike.....DONE! One thing I was very aware of, one thing that I have never, ever felt before was that my toes hurt. I finished with no blisters, even with gallons and gallons of water sloshing in my shoes. I just remember how strange it felt to have my toes be that sore while riding, although it was strange to ride in 105* too. I've never done that before either.
Quote Reply
Re: Hotfoot at IMCdA [tamiii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FWIW i have this on ALL rides but i live in the tropics. i don't remember this happening in Cuba (much cooler than here).

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any chance you ride Speedplays. I found that I always got hotfoot with speedplays, but it went away when I switched pedals. N=1 so no proof of course that there is a causal relationship to Speedplays, but that was my experience.
Quote Reply
Re: Hotfoot at IMCdA [tmonica] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ride in Speedplays- the original ones- I forget what the series name is- but I get a " hotfoot" feel anytime I ride over 70 miles
Quote Reply
Re: Hotfoot at IMCdA [eye3md] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eye3md wrote:
bomber wrote:

YES YES YES!!! Nice to hear I was not the only one. Mine hurt so bad that I would just quit pedaling every chance I got. Was maintaining an average power of 220 through the first 60 miles until this started. Once the hotfoot kicked in, my overall average power dropped to 203 simply because it hurt too much to apply pressure with the intense burning.

Curious if you have an SRM or Quarq. Please check your max temp from your files. Either of those two devices would measure radiated temp at the level of the bottom bracket close to the pavement. One year at Kona, my SRM measured 43C at pavement level on the QueenK even though in Kailua Kona it barely got to 33 all day.
Quote Reply
Re: Hotfoot at IMCdA [tamiii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OP again here. Thanks for the responses. Nice to know I was not alone.

Yes, I was wearing socks (always do for HIM and longer). And yes I have speedplay pedals. But I'm convinced it was from heat from the asphalt, not friction or pressure. Next time such heat is expected, I'll add an extra insole to the shoes, and remember that I could use water to cool the feet down.

Proud to post only occasionally.

http://tribomber.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Re: Hotfoot at IMCdA [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
eye3md wrote:
bomber wrote:

Curious if you have an SRM or Quarq. Please check your max temp from your files. Either of those two devices would measure radiated temp at the level of the bottom bracket close to the pavement. One year at Kona, my SRM measured 43C at pavement level on the QueenK even though in Kailua Kona it barely got to 33 all day.

I have a powertap. Max temp was 108F (42.2C).
Quote Reply
Re: Hotfoot at IMCdA [eye3md] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did not wear socks but thought about that being a good plan for next time.

My pedals are Shimano
Quote Reply
Re: Hotfoot at IMCdA [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

Curious if you have an SRM or Quarq. Please check your max temp from your files. Either of those two devices would measure radiated temp at the level of the bottom bracket close to the pavement.

are you certain? i thought the *head unit* is measuring temperature and NOT that the power meter is measuring and transmitting it's own internal temperature.
Quote Reply
Re: Hotfoot at IMCdA [tetonrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting question about where the temperature is being measured.

I use a Garmin 500 and PowerCal heart rate strap that approximates power numbers.

That combination of gear told me the average temp at IM CdA was 100 over my 7:30 of riding, with a high of 118.4 5.5 hours into the ride.

I don't know if it was measuring at my bike stem or at my chest. Others have given a similar range of temperatures, though.

Sharon McN
@IronCharo
#TeamZoot
Clif Bar Pace Team 2003-2018
Quote Reply
Re: Hotfoot at IMCdA [SharonMcN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SharonMcN wrote:
Interesting question about where the temperature is being measured.

I use a Garmin 500 and PowerCal heart rate strap that approximates power numbers.

That combination of gear told me the average temp at IM CdA was 100 over my 7:30 of riding, with a high of 118.4 5.5 hours into the ride.

I don't know if it was measuring at my bike stem or at my chest. Others have given a similar range of temperatures, though.

pretty certain dev is wrong on this one. for example, Garmins will report temperature without any of these devices paired to the head unit.

there is a temp sensor inside the unit, and if you leave it in a climate-controlled environment usually Garmins will report a few degrees high (the electronics raise the internal temp a bit). in direct sunlight things will get even hotter (reported).

SRM head units, I find, tend not to overstate the temperature as much in a temp-controlled environment, but any head unit baking in the sun for a while gets hot.

unless there is direct evidence to the contrary, these head units are NOT reporting temperature from a connected device.
Quote Reply