Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hot to cold: Badwater 135 champ takes on Arrowhead 135
Quote | Reply
My pal Harvey Lewis, a high school teacher from Cincinnati, won the Badwater 135 ultramarathon in July. That race through Death Valley to Mt. Whitney Portals is famous for being scorching hot.

Today, he started running the nation's coldest ultramarathon, Arrowhead 135, which starts at International Falls, aka, the Nation's Icebox.

At Badwater, runners have a support crew alongside to pace and provide water and supplies. At Arrowhead, runners are self-supported. They have to pull all their water, food and camping gear in a sled. They must also finish with 3,000 extra calories worth of food or they are disqualified. I guess that rule is to show they had enough extra food to survive if conditions got really tough. So Harvey's racing with a big jar of Jif peanut butter he hopes he won't have to open.

I don't know enough about the race to say if a win by Harvey at Arrowhead would make him the first Badwater champion to win both, but I'll be watching his progress online.

You'll find Harvey Lewis and the other runners' tracking info below the skiers' listing at this site:
http://www.arrowheadultra.com/...results/2015-results

Go Harvey!

Sharon McN
@IronCharo
#TeamZoot
Clif Bar Pace Team 2003-2018
Quote Reply
Re: Hot to cold: Badwater 135 champ takes on Arrowhead 135 [SharonMcN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2013 Badwater winner Carlos Sá is also running the Arrowhead 135 :)
Quote Reply
Re: Hot to cold: Badwater 135 champ takes on Arrowhead 135 [SharonMcN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SharonMcN wrote:
My pal Harvey Lewis, a high school teacher from Cincinnati, won the Badwater 135 ultramarathon in July. That race through Death Valley to Mt. Whitney Portals is famous for being scorching hot.

A friend of mine who has completed 2 Badwaters and crewed 5 more said last year's Badwater wasn't that hot, barely making it to 100º

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Downright balmy this year...

Highs the next three days...33, 32 and 29 (F)

As long as he can stay away from the wolf packs, he should be fine ;-)

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bill Bradley who has completed Badwater, Badwater Double (including the Mt Whitney summit) has failed to complete Arrowhead a number of times. A totally different beast. It will be interesting to follow online.

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Re: Hot to cold: Badwater 135 champ takes on Arrowhead 135 [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
SharonMcN wrote:

A friend of mine who has completed 2 Badwaters and crewed 5 more said last year's Badwater wasn't that hot, barely making it to 100º

Fixed that for you ;)

Rodney
Quote Reply
Re: Hot to cold: Badwater 135 champ takes on Arrowhead 135 [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rbuike wrote:
RandMart wrote:
SharonMcN wrote:

Fixed that for you ;)

Plus, it was on the "new" NPS Approved course, which was less challenging as well

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Hot to cold: Badwater 135 champ takes on Arrowhead 135 [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For 2015 they are back on the classic course :)

Rodney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah, it wasn't bad for Badwater. I've been out there on a regular year and the original course is much warmer.
Quote Reply
Re: Hot to cold: Badwater 135 champ takes on Arrowhead 135 [AggieOO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hope it stays below freezing for the riders.

Andy Tetmeyer (I work at HED)

Quote Reply
Re: Hot to cold: Badwater 135 champ takes on Arrowhead 135 [lsousa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As far as I can tell, it's an exciting race out there in the frozen tundra.
Less than an hour separates the top seven runners after 15 to 16 hours. My pal Harvey Lewis is in third place about a half hour behind leader Marcus Berggren. The 2013 Badwater champ Carlos Sa is in fifth, not far behind Harvey.

Sharon McN
@IronCharo
#TeamZoot
Quote Reply
Post deleted by SharonMcN [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Best of luck to Harvey from a fellow Cincinnatian (well, transplant anyway)

Quote | Reply
At the second checkpoint, it appears that Badwater defending champ Harvey Lewis has moved into second place, about 13 minutes behind Marcus Berggren. Carlos Sa, the Portugese Badwater winner from 2013, is still in fifth place, but an hour behind Harvey.

Sharon McN
@IronCharo
#TeamZoot
Quote Reply
Re: Hot to cold: Badwater 135 champ takes on Arrowhead 135 [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rbuike wrote:
Bill Bradley who has completed Badwater, Badwater Double (including the Mt Whitney summit) has failed to complete Arrowhead a number of times.

Lost the 2000 Democratic Presidential Nomination and now this. That guy has to get his shit together.
Last edited by: Kevin in MD: Jan 27, 15 8:50
Quote Reply
Re: Hot to cold: Badwater 135 champ takes on Arrowhead 135 [Kevin in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bahahahhaahah.

(insert inspirational/witty/comical signature here)
Quote Reply
Re: Hot to cold: Badwater 135 champ takes on Arrowhead 135 [Kevin in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kevin in MD wrote:
rbuike wrote:
Bill Bradley who has completed Badwater, Badwater Double (including the Mt Whitney summit) has failed to complete Arrowhead a number of times.

Lost the gold medal to the Soviets in 76 and now this. That guy has to get his shit together.

LOL Wrong Bill Bradley :) http://epicbillbradley.com/

Rodney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Apparently wrong everything.

Bill Bradley played in the 1964 olympics, and it was the 1972 team that lost to the soviets, not 76. Not sure how I got it in my head that he was on that team.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was he not a US politician at some point? Or is that another Bill Bradley?

Rodney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, 3 term Senator from New York, and apprently ultra runner!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great race from Harvey!
Also, Marcus Berggren broke the previous record for 3H, quite impressive.

Carlos Sá DNF.
Quote Reply
Re: Hot to cold: Badwater 135 champ takes on Arrowhead 135 [lsousa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lsousa wrote:
Great race from Harvey!
Also, Marcus Berggren broke the previous record for 3H, quite impressive.

Carlos Sá DNF.

x2

Quote | Reply
https://www.youtube.com/...p;x-yt-ts=1422411861

Sprint finish after 15 hours on the bike...

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply