Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hopping on the critique my fit bandwagon
Quote | Reply
This is for half iron distance max, so I'm willing to sacrifice some long term comfort for speed. This position will probably start hurting my neck after about 1:45 but I can suffer through the last 25 minutes.

My saddle feels a tad bit low when I'm pedaling but doesn't look awful to me from the side. Im a bit fidgety in this video but just getting my position set for this clip.

Anything looking terribly wrong?

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Last edited by: realbdeal: Feb 17, 18 6:39
Quote Reply
Re: Hopping on the critique my fit bandwagon [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it looks really good. If you wanted to nit pick maybe get a little more hip rotation but if your back feels good then let it alone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i looked at the video before i read your comments. the only critique i had was that it seemed like your saddle was a tad low. so, if that's also what you're feeling, i'd say raise it a little (raise it maybe 3mm at a time, try it, etc.).

i can't tell but looking at the extensions those look like zipp aerobars. is that right? how did you end up with those bars on that bike?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Hopping on the critique my fit bandwagon [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I'm going to make a longer post on the old p3c top tube mod thread later but they're actually visions carbon bars with the zipp evo aluminia extensions. I bought this as my first tri bike for $550 a year ago and a new bike isn't in my budget till I get a sponsorship (only slightly kidding), so I wanted to make this as fast as possible without dumping too much money into it. Got the bars on a good deal and drilled a hole. Haven't spent more than $2000 on the entire thing with race wheels and I'm pretty sure its about as fast as anything. Going to try to work my way into the pro field this season riding this.

Last edited by: realbdeal: Feb 17, 18 8:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ah. the visions. those are good bars. miter the backs of the extensions. those are kneecappers.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd be thrilled to have a fit leave my shop that ended up like that. Nice work.

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Re: Hopping on the critique my fit bandwagon [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I'm glad it looks good at least. And it certainly feels fast. After one bad fit a year and a half ago I just started doing all my own stuff. I'm pretty sure I'll have to change it if I step of to the full in the next few years but I like having an aggressive position.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
more reach

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Hopping on the critique my fit bandwagon [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was wondering about that a little. My arm angles seem fine is there a particular reason you think that?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Arm angles are interesting, but not much. What's more important is turning a bluff body, ie. you, into a streamlined shape. More reach.

realbdeal wrote:
I was wondering about that a little. My arm angles seem fine is there a particular reason you think that?

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Hopping on the critique my fit bandwagon [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
Arm angles are interesting, but not much. What's more important is turning a bluff body, ie. you, into a streamlined shape. More reach.

realbdeal wrote:

Wouldn't more hip rotation require more reach also?
Quote Reply
Re: Hopping on the critique my fit bandwagon [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
ericMPro wrote:

realbdeal wrote:

Wouldn't more hip rotation require more reach also?

Or vice versa... now you’re thinking

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just noticed the shifter. LOL :)... Works well?
Last edited by: Fishbum: Feb 17, 18 13:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A little more reach or a bit more hip rotation might reduce neck strain.

Have you tried some 20 minute intervals yet to see if your power has stayed about the same? I am super sensitive to small changes in drop affecting my power and conversely my CdA changes only a little bit. I can lose 20 watts of power output but only reduce drag by 2 or 3, which doesn't help.

Lower is slower for me (after a certain point) , so I more of a narrow is arrow fan.
Quote Reply
Re: Hopping on the critique my fit bandwagon [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've never used a power meter so unfortunately I've got no idea but I don't feel much different. Need to do some more testing though.

Quote Reply