Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hopkinton drop off for Boston
Quote | Reply
Do people recommend having someone drop off at Hopkinton vs taking a shuttle from Boston in the am?
|Also, how strict are these shuttle loading schedules - would I really need to get there by like 6:48am for the 1st wave? Would love to avoid having to piss around in Hopkinton for 2 hrs waiting for the start...

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Hopkinton drop off for Boston [friskyDingo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you're staying in or around Boston take the shuttle. It's been a few years since I've done it, but they were not strict with regards to the schedule, so you won't be turned away if you show up later than 6:48. Of course they need to balance the number of people on the buses so they'd like for the earliest starters to get on the earliest buses. It's actually pretty easy and the time goes quickly when you're out there waiting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm staying in Westborough (6 miles from Hopkinton) and my plan is to have my wife drop me off in the vicinity of the start. This is my first Boston, but I asked around in a thread a while back and the responses that I got back were that it shouldn't be an issue to get dropped off. I don't mind to even get dropped off a mile or two away since I'll plan on warming up that much anyway.

VDOT O2 Run Coaching
Team INFINIT Discount Code: RowanJones
Quote Reply
Re: Hopkinton drop off for Boston [Rowan Jones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From Westborough you can get dropped off at Hopkinton State Park and either take the shuttle from there or do a warm up jog. My in-laws live a few miles west of Hopkinton and I would get dropped off every year with no problems. I prefer hanging out in "downtown" Hopkinton, less crowds and no lines for the Porto-Johns.

If I was staying near Boston, I would take the shuttle.
Quote Reply
Re: Hopkinton drop off for Boston [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed. I did the same thing. Very little traffic and things ran very smoothly getting dropped at the State Park. My wife dropped me off about 60 minutes before the start and I just stayed in the town for 30 minutes before heading to my Coral.
Quote Reply
Re: Hopkinton drop off for Boston [Rowan Jones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live on the Hopkinton line and have driven friends to within .25 mile of the high school (where they drop everyone off), but I know the back roads in. From Westborough I would just take 135 as far as they'll let you go. I'd imagine they'll stop who ever drops you off where 135 meets W. Main St., which is probably .25 miles from the start line (a bit further to the High School). The State Park is a bit further out from the High School. If you go early enough they may even allow you to get to 85 which is the road the high school is on and you can see the start line from there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The shuttles are not bad at all and IMO part of the experience. Then again I don't mind hanging in the athlete village either.

I have had friends that are in Wave 2 jump on the bus with me during Wave 1 times without a problem, so they have some flexibility on bus loading times, they just try to avoid everyone showing up at once.

I *heart* weak, dumb ass people...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went through this same thought process last year, because I was staying in the burbs. I had someone drop me off at the designated spot near 495 (not the state park--I think it is an EMC parking lot), and it could not have been easier. No delays, no traffic. Will do the same again this year.
Quote Reply
Re: Hopkinton drop off for Boston [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x2
Quote Reply
Re: Hopkinton drop off for Boston [Poon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone!

@Poon if you get a chance, pls post the details about the spot (and ~ how long it takes to get from there to the start on foot). I'll be staying up in Salem, so will be coming down 495 for sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Out of the 5 times I ran Boston, 4 times I took the shuttle. Pretty much disliked sitting around for so many hours. One year (1996) I got to stay with a friend in Hopkinton and they dropped me off about a mile from the start. Despite the walk, I much much preferred that than sitting on my arse for 3 hours. I arrived about 30 minutes before the gun and I felt great. That was the big 100th so I wasn't really pouring it on that year, but if I was, I still felt I was more refreshed than the years I sat around.
Quote Reply
Re: Hopkinton drop off for Boston [Poon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Poon wrote:
I went through this same thought process last year, because I was staying in the burbs. I had someone drop me off at the designated spot near 495 (not the state park--I think it is an EMC parking lot), and it could not have been easier. No delays, no traffic. Will do the same again this year.

My family did this for me last year. No problem getting there, but the traffic for my family getting back to needham was brutal. Took them a couple hours.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
EMC opens several of their lots on South St. The main lot is 52 South St (it's a building we don't use). Heading South on I495, take the first exit 21 (I don't remember if it's 21A or 21B but it's the one labeled for Upton). Take a right off the ramp (there's a light) and take the left at the next light onto South St. Climb the small hill. At the top, you'll see the EMC building on the right at 52 South St.

You have to get there early, though. It fills quickly.

The best option, though, is the Hopkinton State Park. It's easy and efficient.
Quote Reply
Re: Hopkinton drop off for Boston [HandHeartCrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, ended up getting dropped off at Hopkinton commuter rail station around 8am and it was plenty of time for everything pre-race.
Good experience for sure, I'll go back!
Quote Reply