Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Holy F*%k USAT
Quote | Reply
If you are going to require the state to be a required field on a web form, you sure as sh!t better have all the appropriate "states" available for people attempting to purchase a one day license. They allow me to choose a country, however, when attempting to choose NA for the state field during the billing I get a
  • "The following field(s) are invalid: c:billTo/c:state"
  • Seriously, it is 2015. That should not happen.

Terrible UX

Quote Reply
Re: Holy F*%k USAT [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That makes you wonder where those membership fees are going haha

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Holy F*%k USAT [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
That makes you wonder where those membership fees are going haha

Sepp Blatter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
M~ wrote:
If you are going to require the state to be a required field on a web form, you sure as sh!t better have all the appropriate "states" available for people attempting to purchase a one day license. They allow me to choose a country, however, when attempting to choose NA for the state field during the billing I get a

Terrible UX

What state is NA?
Quote Reply
Re: Holy F*%k USAT [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:
M~ wrote:

Terrible UX

What state is NA?

I am glad I wasn't the only one wondering.
Quote Reply
Re: Holy F*%k USAT [TylerJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TylerJ wrote:
johnnybefit wrote:
M~ wrote:

Terrible UX

What state is NA?

NA Is Non-Applicable. As in "I'm from Bermuda and we don't have any states." or possible "I'm from Germany and you didn't list Hesse as an option."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They either need to add N/A as an option, or get the country specific states/regions/provinces for the country you select. Should be an easy fix.

At least the "ZIP Code" field doesn't reject alpha-numeric post codes used in many countries.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Holy F*%k USAT [bufordt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bufordt wrote:
TylerJ wrote:
johnnybefit wrote:
M~ wrote:

Terrible UX

What state is NA?

NA Is Non-Applicable. As in "I'm from Bermuda and we don't have any states." or possible "I'm from Germany and you didn't list Hesse as an option."

Its the USAT, not the BAT so its understandable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bufordt wrote:
TylerJ wrote:
johnnybefit wrote:
M~ wrote:

Terrible UX

What state is NA?

Oh sorry. Did you select USA? Or did you select Bermuda and then it tried to make you select a state?
Thanks, John
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i am interested if someone can answer... is all the IT work done in the united states by citizens?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:
bufordt wrote:
TylerJ wrote:
johnnybefit wrote:
M~ wrote:

Terrible UX

What state is NA?

Oh sorry. Did you select USA? Or did you select Bermuda and then it tried to make you select a state?
Thanks, John

I didn't select anything, I was explaining what NA was. From the OP's description is sounds like USAT gives an option in billing to select a country (makes sense, they offer insurance to everyone, not just US residents), but then continue to require a state in the form. Typically if you allow someone to select a country other than USA, you would either give them an N/A option in State, or stop requiring the state in your validation.
Quote Reply
Re: Holy F*%k USAT [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
bufordt wrote:
TylerJ wrote:
johnnybefit wrote:
M~ wrote:
Terrible UX

What state is NA?

Its the USAT, not the BAT so its understandable.

Since they offer memberships to people who live outside the US it is not understandable. Even if they restricted membership to US Citizens, which they don't, there are lots of US Citizens who live outside the US, and therefore have billing addresses that don't have a state.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh this is totally understandable. The developers/designers they use are lacking excellent (or maybe even good) design skills. They have made assumptions about the data which are totally inappropriate. This is a very common problem and usually indicates a lack of experience and a dollop of missing education. At the database seminars I go to they always have a section on this. It is usually pretty funny and often sad when they show examples like this.
Quote Reply
Re: Holy F*%k USAT [TriHanrahan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriHanrahan wrote:
Oh this is totally understandable. The developers/designers they use are lacking excellent (or maybe even good) design skills. They have made assumptions about the data which are totally inappropriate. This is a very common problem and usually indicates a lack of experience and a dollop of missing education. At the database seminars I go to they always have a section on this. It is usually pretty funny and often sad when they show examples like this.

What makes it even more sad is that if I want to sign up for a year membership, they do utilize the dynamic country/state picklist as they should. Just not on the "one-day" license. Sad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mark,

I still find it odd, and frustrating that I can't use my credit card from that far away and exotic place that I live - Canada - at many gas station pumps in the U.S. I have to go in the shop, and then work out some bargain/deal/arrangement with the attendant to get gas!

I don't know what the issue is with this on the USAT site, but it likely stems from an inflexibility of their registration system, and/or their registration providor to handle these sorts of things.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the same problem being canadian and trying to buy a one day license. Got through to the billing page but wouldn't accept N/A or blank for a canadian province, and no other options were available.

After searching around the USAT website and finally finding a contact number, I called them and the person who answered the phone told me to pick any random state (but leave the country as Canada)- and that worked.

Quote Reply
Re: Holy F*%k USAT [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
I still find it odd, and frustrating that I can't use my credit card from that far away and exotic place that I live - Canada - at many gas station pumps in the U.S. I have to go in the shop, and then work out some bargain/deal/arrangement with the attendant to get gas!

Could be as simple as notifying your CC company that you transact frequently in the US? I know that whenever I do travel I notify my card issuers in advance, but maybe this is some extra precaution done by the gas stations. Maybe they deal with some purchase fraud with stolen cards that is hard to dispute across borders.
Quote Reply
Re: Holy F*%k USAT [dgran] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Could be as simple as notifying your CC company that you transact frequently in the US? I know that whenever I do travel I notify my card issuers in advance, but maybe this is some extra precaution done by the gas stations. Maybe they deal with some purchase fraud with stolen cards that is hard to dispute across borders.

Yes and no.

Many pumps ask for a zip-code to be entered for verification. We have postal codes in Canada that will not work, so the card is rejected and will not work, so inside I have to go to work out some arrangement with the attendant. No big deal, but it just all seems a little archaic

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it makes you feel better (or at least that you have rage company), they split Florida into two regions and so I'm in the Southeast instead of Florida - but they only send me updates for the Florida region because apparently they don't know how zip codes work. So they can't even get their data set right when you actually have a state in the US.

Abell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A similar thing happens at some gas stations in Canda when I try to use a U.S. based card. It doesn't ask for zip code but I get it either denies it or I get a message that says "US cards must pay attendant". I have always been able to use the card one I went inside. I figure it has to do with international transactions requiring an ID (even though few ask for them) or similar.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

Yes and no.

Many pumps ask for a zip-code to be entered for verification. We have postal codes in Canada that will not work, so the card is rejected and will not work, so inside I have to go to work out some arrangement with the attendant. No big deal, but it just all seems a little archaic

Every time I travel to the USA, I'm blown away when trying to purchase fuel. Who thought it was a good idea to use postal codes as a security mechanism?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a zipcode attached to Canadian cards as well.

I believe it's just the numbers in the postal code, it's worth Googling before your next trip.
Quote Reply