Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Holly Lawrence Aero Testing with Big Jim..
Quote | Reply
Not surprised but sad to see the swimsuit is well and truly dead. Holly's uncomfortableness on camera continues to be very charming. :)

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: Holly Lawrence Aero Testing with Big Jim.. [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In her previous video she said that Lionel told her his sleeveless kit tested faster than a sleeved kit. I'm curious if her watt savings was due to the leg coverage or arm coverage (or both)? Then again I suppose it's also possible Lionel doesn't know what he's talking about when it comes to what's aero.
Quote Reply
Re: Holly Lawrence Aero Testing with Big Jim.. [Th4ddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Th4ddy wrote:
In her previous video she said that Lionel told her his sleeveless kit tested faster than a sleeved kit. I'm curious if her watt savings was due to the leg coverage or arm coverage (or both)? Then again I suppose it's also possible Lionel doesn't know what he's talking about when it comes to what's aero.

I would assume the latter. Having done outside aero testing with Brian Stover, I can say the protocol establishes baselines so that every equipment change can be verified. It's exceedingly unlikely Jim would run a test where there were multiple variables that would confuse the results. That said the only way to answer your question would be to take scissors to her sleeved kit.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Th4ddy wrote:

I've tested 1 athlete where sleeveless kit was faster, Heather Wurtele, the year she was 3rd at the 70.3 World Champs

I know Lionel has tested, extensively, in the past not sure about recent times.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Jul 7, 23 7:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It has to be chest area catching air. I can tell when my tri kit is getting old, it gets loose and is not tight around the neck anymore. I know that’s when I need a new kit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim let us all down telling her the swimsuit is slower LOL

but let see - she was already fast on the bike so perhaps now she can gain a few more min here and there for the same watts

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why are they not saying any numbers!? It is infuriating that we dont know if it is 1 watt or 10.
Quote Reply
Re: Holly Lawrence Aero Testing with Big Jim.. [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lassekk wrote:
Why are they not saying any numbers!? It is infuriating that we dont know if it is 1 watt or 10.

Because the actual watts don't really matter, what's important is the percentage gained at her race pace. She probably just doesn't want her competitors to know "Oh now Holly is going to be 2.9% faster".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Th4ddy wrote:
lassekk wrote:

Because the actual watts don't really matter, what's important is the percentage gained at her race pace. She probably just doesn't want her competitors to know "Oh now Holly is going to be 2.9% faster".

Correct. Everyone needs to stop talking in watts, and I'm really to blame as much as anyone for that one.

We now baseline before and after testing...sometimes in the middle as well. One baseline is not enough for me anymore because too many things can change over the course of a session, fatigue being the biggest. It can be a lot of work, but as I've said over and over again, if you can't repeat the numbers, you do not have a valid test. For product testing, we baseline, test the product, and then immediately re-baseline. If the two baseline numbers don't match up within our acceptable margin of error, the entire test is invalidated. Start over tomorrow.

And, yes, I'm sorry to everyone that the bathing suit was slower (it was always going to be slower). But, you might see something cool on her next year that makes up for it! Oh, and I know I'm semi-retired and not paying super close attention, but I had no idea Giro stopped making the Aerohead Ultimate. Too bad.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lassekk wrote:

right? there is nothing of actual value in that video...

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Holly Lawrence Aero Testing with Big Jim.. [LuisDF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The video was made for our entertainment. If you want the numbers and Jim’s expertise you should pay him for it since, you know, that’s how he makes a living.
Quote Reply
Re: Holly Lawrence Aero Testing with Big Jim.. [Lagoon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This. Holly's channel is definitely for our entertainment. Who's watching it for training/racing tips?

Also, for those complaining did you watch Jim's YouTube video on testing the bottle with various athletes? If not, watch it. If you did, I don't understand your complaints.
Quote Reply
Re: Holly Lawrence Aero Testing with Big Jim.. [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
But, you might see something cool on her next year that makes up for it!

Errr.... I'm wondering now what this could possibly be as I attempt to interpret this comment channeling male lizard brain. What could this be that the male-gazers are sad about missing? .... Sleeved top with bathing suit bottom? Prosthetic bust in the top half to fill the void in a more "aesthetic" manner? Super sheer "Fast" material that causes frequent double takes? So confused.

ps - did you ever think about lying and saying, "looks like the suit works best on you" at least for a few minutes?
Last edited by: Lurker4: Jul 7, 23 15:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lassekk wrote:

This is 100% true of all the athletes with ‘wanna be’ YouTube channels. Whatever the #’s are out them out there for some relatability. I know Sam & Lionel’s are megs watts and speed, but that’s what makes them interesting.
Quote Reply
Re: Holly Lawrence Aero Testing with Big Jim.. [thatzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thatzone wrote:
lassekk wrote:

This is 100% true of all the athletes with ‘wanna be’ YouTube channels. Whatever the #’s are out them out there for some relatability. I know Sam & Lionel’s are megs watts and speed, but that’s what makes them interesting.

u can say a lot without reveling key data

- swimsuit high hands tested slow
- swimsuit not so high tested slow and so forth...

if you want to bring audience to your channel then saying "we tested and found a comfy fast position" is not the way to build it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Th4ddy wrote:

It's been verified that Remco Evenepoel tests faster with shorter length sleeves, so it's entirely possible that some other people test faster with more skin for whatever reason. It absolutely goes against the grain of testing for most people, but Remco is arguably one of the most aerodynamically efficient riders on the planet, so I dunno.

https://escapecollective.com/...-faster-than-fabric/
Quote Reply
Re: Holly Lawrence Aero Testing with Big Jim.. [thatzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thatzone wrote:
lassekk wrote:

Ehh. The constant watt mentioning by Lionel is nauseating for me. I really don’t care what wattage he held in this weeks workout or a race 5 years ago. It’s gotten pretty old.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Holly Lawrence Aero Testing with Big Jim.. [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timbasile wrote:
Th4ddy wrote:

It's been verified that Remco Evenepoel tests faster with shorter length sleeves, so it's entirely possible that some other people test faster with more skin for whatever reason. It absolutely goes against the grain of testing for most people, but Remco is arguably one of the most aerodynamically efficient riders on the planet, so I dunno.

https://escapecollective.com/...-faster-than-fabric/

Not sure if it’s been done, but I’d like a see a real world test with the sleeved suits after it’s been swam in and probably wrinkled. The gap to sleeveless would be narrowed I’d imagine.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: Holly Lawrence Aero Testing with Big Jim.. [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
u maybe onto something...

try multiple suits - dry and wet and see if there is any difference :)

Quote Reply