Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Hoka One One shoes, impression [jacknine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had the Bondi B' for a couple months now and really enjoy them. I got the Stinson for trails and ditto for those, too
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ordered a pair of Hoka One One Biondi B's last week after reading Dan's review and the comments on this forum. Cannot wait for them to arrive.

Turned 60 a few months ago. Knee pain during and after every run so inclined to skip training runs in favor of other workouts (cycling, swimming, stairs, etc). Still have signed up for a half & full marathon and half & full iron triathlon. But pretty much resigned that this will be my last year of running.

Hoping beyond hope that the Hoka's help me as much as they've helped others.
Last edited by: Enduralete: Mar 11, 13 18:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't say enough about these shoes. I've had them for four weeks. Everything you have read in this thread has been my exact experience. I am running longer and harder, now. We'll see if that translates into faster, later.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka One One shoes, impression [M Ernst] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I spoke to a guy at work about them today. He is a really bulky weight lifter and he mentioned that he liked to run but his knees always hurt. I told him about Hokas and said they might work for him.

I might have created a runner!

Ok, not really created but it would be cool to hear his say he's running pain free.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was going to chime in on the other Hoka thread, but saw this and figured I would add my two cents.

I have noticed a lot of older guys providing reviews so here is one from a 35 year old, 190 6'0 male. I am a big fan of Newtons, run in the Distance the majority of time, but also train in the Gravities. I also enjoy running in my k-swiss kwicky blades. Ok, there is a little perspective for you.

So ordered the Stinson Evo because my intention was to use them more for the trails. I have a 1600' mountain in my back yard with trails of spiky rocks and several steep grades and typically the downhill provides some soreness on the knees after the run. I figured some added cushion would be a good think. Also, when I run anything further than 15 miles, my knees can get a bit sore as well.

My plan for the first test was to hit the mountain. To get there I need to run approximately a half mile on the sidewalk to the base of the mountain. My first impression, was "woaa, these suckers are soft and slow!". It felt as if the shoes were not providing the energy return that I typically feel from the Newtons, but that was too be expected. It took a little getting used to. Once I got on the trail I realized how great the shoes are! It was like heaven. I was blazing across the rough trails! It was awesome! On the way down the hill it was the same amazing feel. In fact, it was almost dangerous because I gave me the extra confidence to go faster because I didn't feel the pounding on the knees. The shoes were magical on the trails.

The next run was a 10 miler on the pavement. Again, they are definitely slower than my other shoes, but not by a huge amount. After the run, my legs were tired as normal, but didn't have any knee pain, however I wouldn't normally have any pain with my Newtons for that distance. I think the real test will be running in them over 15 miles.

Overall, I don't plan on using these for any races, but I will absolutely be using them for hill/trail runs and long training runs. Everything else, I will continue to run in my Newtons. I do like the shoes though..funky as they are. I suppose I should have been more mindful of which shoe I purchased and now that I think about it I probably would have preferred Rapa Nui, which has a lower heal to toe drop. Oh, well, maybe next time :)

-----

"i’m the one guy who says don’t force the stupid people to be quiet — i want to know who the morons are." -- mark cuban
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka One One shoes, impression [tridiego] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure how the Stinson will work on road. The Bondi is pushed as a road shoe solution. I look forward to hearing how it goes.

Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka One One shoes, impression [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Stinson Evo is a very good road shoe for heavier athletes or those looking for more support. They last longer then the Bondi B if you pronate excessively. While the Bondi is supportive in a very natural way it will eventually collapse in the inner arch if you over pronate. The Stinson Evo is a heavier shoe and is stiffer from heel to toe and it has less lateral flex. For this reason it makes for a very supportive shoe. There is a road version of this shoe but I just use my trail shoes if I feel I need the need for extra support on my 3+ hr road runs.

>> I have been running in Hoka's for almost 2 years now. In that time I have had 4 pairs of Bondi B's and 1 pair of Stinson Evos. They are the best shoes I have used in my 25 years as an endurance athlete. Love them.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka One One shoes, impression [TriBodyboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriBodyboarder wrote:
The Mafate has a very aggressive tread, but I found them to be too heavy and stif ...

The Mafate 3, due in autumn 2013, will be lighter ...

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka One One shoes, impression [Bavarian_Frank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where did you find that news?

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka One One shoes, impression [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JenSw wrote:
I'm not sure how the Stinson will work on road. The Bondi is pushed as a road shoe solution. I look forward to hearing how it goes.

Jen, there is the Stinson Tarmac, which are also "road" shoes.

------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriBodyboarder wrote:
Where did you find that news?

My German dealer, who is the biggest retailer of HOO over here, posted it.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone have good stuff to report from someone who isn't a larger runner? I'm just under 140 at 5'10. I've run exclusively in the Nike Structure with good results but I have to keep the mileage on the low end due to sore knees and overuse injuries due to some pronation issues. I'm guessing these aren't a magic bullet but might we worth a shot to add miles with the body teardown.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka One One shoes, impression [masterslacker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm 5'11, 145-150lbs. Formerly a collegiate runner with lot of miles and chronic injuries (partially torn achilles for long time that finally got surgically repaired). That said, nowhere near the runner I used to but can still run a decent tempo. I've been running in the Bondi's for about a month now, and I love them. Sense of cushioning unlike anything I've ever felt in a shoe, but still very stable. I also agree with the reviews that they "feel" slow and unresponsive, but they don't actually "run" slow. If I'm running over 6:00/mile, I'd choose these over flats and other lightweight trainers easily. Love my Hokas, and don't mind getting made fun of for wearing them!

Don't lose your dinosaur.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Absolutely, knee/foot issues aren't the prerogative of us old and big
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka One One shoes, impression [tridiego] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fwiw, i have run extensively in the mafates, stinsons and bondis. i feel that the bondi is the fast shoe. faster than the stinsons. really, the stinson is more like a road version of the mafate, and the bondi is the "flat" in the line, of the 3. somebody fast is going to run an ironman marathon in the bondi someday soon and prove to the world that this is a 2:45 marathon shoe on the feet of the right runner. and i think the "right" runner is a heavier pro triathlete, like a maik twelsiek, a michi weiss, somebody like that.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
D'oh! Thanks for the correction.

Jen

Quote Reply
Re: Hoka One One shoes, impression [barhersh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
barhersh wrote:
I realize these shoes are wide and therefore Hoka uses the word "stable" in describing them. But does Hoka make an actual stability shoe with some sort of medial post or support? Thanks.

No. I don't believe they do.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka One One shoes, impression [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
fwiw, i have run extensively in the mafates, stinsons and bondis. i feel that the bondi is the fast shoe. faster than the stinsons..

I can't disagree at the moment...only two runs on the Stinsons, and both were very hilly. I was able to get up to speed in the shoes, so maybe I shouldn't have made the claim that they are "slow" and elaborated more on the feel of the shoe more. The lack of feel to ground, as I mentioned, and the added weight, made them feel as though they were the reason for my slower pace...heck, it could have been a slow day. More running on the shoe is needed to give a quality review I suppose.

One thing I will add about the Stinsons (Trail version), is that they are slippery as heck on wet pavement. It was literally spinning my wheels!

To your point though, I am sure someone will blaze a fast marathon time in the shoes...heck, didn't someone do a 2:45 in flip flops recently?

-----

"i’m the one guy who says don’t force the stupid people to be quiet — i want to know who the morons are." -- mark cuban
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was already a female pro that won a half in Hokas. Don't recall the race or her run split, though.

Steve

"If you ain't first, you're last." Reese Bobby Talladega Nights
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka One One shoes, impression [barhersh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"But does Hoka make an actual stability shoe with some sort of medial post or support?"

the by-the-book answer is no. but i have a variant answer, which i describe here and elsewhere. i'm a severe overpronator who very simply cannot run without orthotics and a shoe that supports them.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Last edited by: Slowman: Mar 16, 13 7:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dan,

Thanks for bringing these shoes to my attention. I am a 46 yo former football player who love our sport even thought I am NOT even close to made for it. I came to the sport from running (started to run to loose weight and never stopped) and have run in everything from the brooks Beast to the Vibrams. I have noticed that my feet, knees and hips are not able to handle what they use to anymore. I was a vibram wearer before it became a fad and really enjoyed them for a long time. I have to say that since I have been running in the Hoka's my legs recover faster and my feet don't hurt like they use to anymore. My days in flats or vibrams are over-no matter how much I enjoyed them in the past. These shoes work as you have described. Thank you for the word!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ran my first marathon last December- California Intl. Marathon- 3:09 in NASTY conditions. I love my Stinson Tarmacs but-side note-they do not drain well in wet conditions. On any other day i woud have been sub 3 which is what my goal was but Mother Nature had a different plan.... :0 The Stinson Evo Tarmac is my everyday training shoe, other that track (Saucony Kinvara), and they are amazing. I'm crtainly not a fast runner but these shoes have allowed me, on the heavy side at 180lbs, put in the mileage to improve my run quite a bit. Last year I raced an Oly with my Bondi's in just over 39 and hope to go sub 38 this year..

D

Team Every Man Jack

http://www.teamemj.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
masterslacker wrote:
Anyone have good stuff to report from someone who isn't a larger runner? I'm just under 140 at 5'10. I've run exclusively in the Nike Structure with good results but I have to keep the mileage on the low end due to sore knees and overuse injuries due to some pronation issues. I'm guessing these aren't a magic bullet but might we worth a shot to add miles with the body teardown.

5'8" and 157lbs. I switched to Hokas because I've gotten into trail running up to the 50K distance and found that after my long runs, my heels, ankles, and knees would be sore from the pounding for a couple of days. I was heading in the minimalist direction and it just wasn't working for me. I saw a thread about Hokas last spring with Slowman and Monty raving about them, and tried a pair. I haven't looked back. I can now do a 50K trail race or as in the case of IMAZ a marathon on pavement, and eliminate that post-race soreness in those parts of my body. Sure, I'm still tired after a long race, but it's very obvious they mitigate a lot of the pounding that lesser-padded shoes don't, leaving me with a MUCH faster recovery.

------------------
Last edited by: TriBodyboarder: Mar 12, 13 10:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriBodyboarder wrote:
masterslacker wrote:

5'8" and 157lbs. I switched to Hokas because I've gotten into trail running up to the 50K distance and found that after my long runs, my heels, ankles, and knees would be sore from the pounding for a couple of days. I was heading in the minimalist direction and it just wasn't working for me. I saw a thread about Hokas last spring with Slowman and Monty raving about them, and tried a pair. I haven't looked back. I can now do a 50K trail race or as in the case of IMAZ a marathon on pavement, and eliminate that post-race soreness in those parts of my body. Sure, I'm still tired after a long race, but it's very obvious they mitigate a lot of the pounding that lesser-padded shoes don't, leaving me with a MUCH faster recovery.

+1

Team Every Man Jack

http://www.teamemj.com
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka One One shoes, impression [dmounts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Newsflash:

If you are a Road Runner Sports VIP there is a 20% off everything promo going on for just today. I saved $34 on Stinson Evos and have free shipping. They are marked as being on pre-order to ship on April 4th. Not sure if that is just my size of it affects all Hokas.

If you aren't a VIP member it is worth signing up. 10% off all the time and free shipping. That usually covers at least sales tax.

Happy shopping!

Jen

Quote Reply

Prev Next