Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hoka Boots
Quote | Reply
For those of us in the soon to be Great White North (or some are already there)
Has anyone tried the new Hoka boots?
Looking at them for winter "running", snowshoeing, and Fat Biking.
Curious about fit (width mostly) compared to Bondis, Stinsons, etc

Thanks for the info and be thankful we can do what we do

"There are no problems in life, just many leadership and learning opportunities." SED
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Boots [mxblues98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i am wearing the TOR Summit Mid WP as i write this. it's okay. every morning for the past week i've been taking the dogs on long hikes, and i wear the Tor Ultra Hi WP .

this is the one, the Ultra Hi WP. this is the bomb. this is a great shoe. just, get it AT LEAST a half-size smaller than a typical shoe. it's wider and taller in the toe box than just about every other hoka.

when this shoe was made, the president of hoka was jim van dine. in the hoka office, sharing office space, was ahnu, another deckers brand. jim previously ran keen, i do believe. there's a lot of hiking heritage and braintrust at deckers, so they hit the ground running with this shoe.

look, deckers has one of the very hottest top units in footwear: ugg. deckers has THE hottest bottom unit in all of athletic or outdoor or endurance footwear: hoka. they make the best sandals in the world, and they do pretty well with hiking. they ought to be able to figure some stuff out. we're going to find out what kind of coaching they have over the next 5 years, because they have all the players in all the key positions.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a couple of pairs. Super comfortable. I've used them for a couple of trail runs and also for working at some trail events.

Width is decent, a bit wider than stinsons.

Water proofness is great but don't let water get in over the cuff, once they fill with water they won't drain.

Boots
Fleet Feet Rochester, NY
Fleet Feet Buffalo, NY
YellowJacket Racing, Rochester, NY
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Boots [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just bringing this thread back up. I was not aware that Hoka make Hiking Boots.

Always wore Keen and could replace my worn out ones as I am looking into a good hiking boot (probably mid, not full) for hiking Machu Picchu Lodge trek (approx. 40 miles over 6 days).

Anyone use the Tor Summit Mid WP for distance hiking?

Have ran in the Bondi's for a few years.
Last edited by: SayHey Kid: Jan 18, 16 10:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ran 9 miles in them last Wednesday. Not bad at all. Definitely not a running shoe, but did the job with no hotspots or comfort issues. Very impressed.

Human Person
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Boots [SayHey Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I havent tried the Hoka boots, but did do the 3 day hike on the Inka trail to Machu Pichu about 3 years ago. Personally I would have preferred to have the more ankle support of a full boot. I had mid height boots and rolled my ankle a few times.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Boots [FF Boots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FF Boots wrote:
I have a couple of pairs. Super comfortable. I've used them for a couple of trail runs and also for working at some trail events.

Width is decent, a bit wider than stinsons.

Water proofness is great but don't let water get in over the cuff, once they fill with water they won't drain.

I'm intrigued. How does width compare to the Bondis? I'm in the new wide Bondis and they fit very well. How much (if any) would you upsize for an EE width foot?

--------------
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Boots [j.shanney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i have a fun story about the Tor Hi Tops which i will soon share. with pics. so that you know it did happen.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Boots [trismitty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trismitty wrote:
Ran 9 miles in them last Wednesday. Not bad at all. Definitely not a running shoe, but did the job with no hotspots or comfort issues. Very impressed.

Have you worn something like the Salomon Snowcross before? I'm curious how they compare to deep-winter running shoe/boots.

I've been wearing my Huaka's throughout this winter with some good high winter socks, supplementing with Yaktrax when it gets really messy. This works most of the time but my feet do get wet pretty often. I know these boots aren't made for running, but I need a pair of hiking boots anyway and would like them to be able to do double duty on an occasional severe weather run.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Boots [tgarson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't used the Salomon shoes. I've read read reviews that led me to believe they weren't as cushy which is a quality I like in the Hokas. Fwiw, they are pretty light. I wouldn't do any speed work in them, but easy z2 runs or brisk hikes are perfect.

Human Person
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
altra superior trail
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Boots [trismitty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, would like to give them a try but kind of hard to get over the sticker shock. Might just be cheap and wear some gaiters with my Huaka's for now and then get a little more trail specific shoe after these wear out.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Boots [tgarson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used a 20% deal on backcountry. Floats around every so often.

Human Person
Quote Reply