Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Hitch Racks & Rear Disc Wheel
Quote | Reply
So I need to replace my Kuat rack and am looking to the hive mind for actual road experience of hauling your bike with your rear disc on the bike.
On my current rack, with the rear strap going around the rear rim, I have to switch out my rear disc wheel while driving and then stick the disc wheel in for the ride (I know maybe a 2/10 annoyance factor). Does anyone use a rack that allows the rear disc wheel to stay in, and if so do you find any issues with it catching wind behind the vehicle? I would be using this on an SUV (Santa Fe) or Hatchback (Impreza) so the bike is not sitting up way high in the wind.
Thanks for any input.
Quote Reply
Re: Hitch Racks & Rear Disc Wheel [HoustonTri(er)] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For long trips I swap out the rear wheel.

For short trips around town, I'll just ratchet down the rear wheel arm really well and (obviously) leave the rear wheel strap off. Never had an issue. No issues with wind to speak of.

This is for a Thule rack with the arms that ratchet onto the tires.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dealt with the EXACT same scenario a couple years ago...oddly enough, same vehicles too ;)

Check out any of the SARIS Superclamp hitch racks. Easy to operate and very secure. Ratchet strap can rest against the disc wheel while not in use...both wheels stay on the bike. Folds up and allows access to hatch back area...also tilts if bike is on for easy access.

Shoot me a dm if you need some pics or want to chat...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1 Up USA racks allow you to put on any wheel of any depth - it’s a great rack. Like everything good though, it comes at a price - they’re not cheap. But then again neither are Kuats.

I’ve transported my bike with a disc wheel many, many times and have had zero issues with the wind catching, etc.

Re: Hitch Racks & Rear Disc Wheel [IKnowEverything] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IKnowEverything wrote:
1 Up USA racks allow you to put on any wheel of any depth - it’s a great rack. Like everything good though, it comes at a price - they’re not cheap. But then again neither are Kuats.

I’ve transported my bike with a disc wheel many, many times and have had zero issues with the wind catching, etc.

Recently switched from a Kuat the shit the bed on me to a 1UP and my only regret is not having done it sooner. I’ll never go back.
Quote Reply
Re: Hitch Racks & Rear Disc Wheel [IKnowEverything] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ditto on the 1 Up USA Rack.

"Heart Rate, Watts, I have no idea, I race, I don't pace." Andrew Starykowicz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1Up makes excellent racks that hook over wheels. I've used it many times with a disc wheel, most recently to do a pre race brick; my bike was in full race setup with a disc wheel and I mounted it on the rack to go do my run on a nearby trail.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've always used two strong bungee cords around each side of the chainstay and attached the hooks under the rack's rear wheel well. Metal bungee hooks fit into tight places better than thick plastic hooks and will fit between chainstay and disc wheel. I also wrap the left bungee around the pedal so it doesn't push on the rear hydraulic line.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a Kuat rack with my disc wheel. I just take a large tie down I got from Lowes and tighten it down from top of wheel to bottom of tray. No issues at all on road trips short and long. This is the tie down I use. https://www.lowes.com/...ft-2-Pack/5001786397
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It would appear I am the only one that did the simple rotate the bike 180 and clamp the rear disc wheel with the arm and then strap the front wheel down with the ratchet strap…. Never a problem for me. But as others pointed out, I only did that for 2 hour or less drives. Longer than that and I often wanted training wheels with me anyway so I switched it out.
Quote Reply
Re: Hitch Racks & Rear Disc Wheel [ryans] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tried that but with the low seat stays on my bike the arm doesn't compress down enough (it hits its stop point before it touches wheel/stay interface) to hold the bike still.
Thanks for all the input everyone.
Quote Reply
Re: Hitch Racks & Rear Disc Wheel [Riedinaustin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Riedinaustin wrote:
I've always used two strong bungee cords around each side of the chainstay and attached the hooks under the rack's rear wheel well. Metal bungee hooks fit into tight places better than thick plastic hooks and will fit between chainstay and disc wheel. I also wrap the left bungee around the pedal so it doesn't push on the rear hydraulic line.
This has been my approach for my Yakima hold up rack with a bike with a disc wheel. Worked great for the last couple years.
Quote Reply
Re: Hitch Racks & Rear Disc Wheel [ryans] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a thule xt pro2. I just reverse the bike. I’ve driven thousands of miles with 2 bikes like this. No issues. I do always cable lock my bikes on long trips so the cannot fall off just in case

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Re: Hitch Racks & Rear Disc Wheel [nanban_ronin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nanban_ronin wrote:
1Up makes excellent racks that hook over wheels. I've used it many times with a disc wheel, most recently to do a pre race brick; my bike was in full race setup with a disc wheel and I mounted it on the rack to go do my run on a nearby trail.

1up rack for the win. Also, it’s much more compact when loaded with bikes or when it’s tilted up with no bikes than the Kuat or Thule racks.

http://www.custombikexcessories.com
Instagram
Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Hitch Racks & Rear Disc Wheel [yannb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yannb wrote:
nanban_ronin wrote:

1up rack for the win. Also, it’s much more compact when loaded with bikes or when it’s tilted up with no bikes than the Kuat or Thule racks.

Yeah I use a single for 99% of my driving and it’s nice to actually be able to use my rear view camera with a 1Up rack.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got a Quikr Mach 2 and it's like a better/easier version of the 1up with very similar design. I think it'll manage your use case very well. We've used it for every kind of bike including TT bike with disc wheel. No issue.

When I purchased, I recall reading something about the founder of 1up also being the founder of Quikr. I didn't really care, but after a quick (quik?) reading of the history today, I'm glad I went with Quikr. I'm sure both are great racks, tbh.

Here's why: https://web.archive.org/...w.1upusahistory.com/
(sounds like he got scammed and experienced a hostile takeover of 1up, yikes.)

Not much online with any sort of clarity about the dispute. I'm curious if any lawyers (or someone with more time) can get the legal details or maybe even the truth. ;)

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/What_is_up_with_1up%3F_P6419753/
https://www.law360.com/ttab_cases/585b25ab613d042050000001

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: Hitch Racks & Rear Disc Wheel [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GEEEZ!!!! What a disaster of a history at 1Up! I love mine but I'm not down with that story, at all. The Quikr Mach 2 looks great. Thanks for the info Dr. I may need to replace mine with one of these.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do the same thing with my bike. Personally, I would likely still do it with a clamp down tire hitch rack just because I would want to not worry about the wind catching it or something striking it. That's just me.

Plus, when I drive to a race, I am already in race mode and drive like I am already racing!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HoustonTri(er) wrote:
Tried that but with the low seat stays on my bike the arm doesn't compress down enough (it hits its stop point before it touches wheel/stay interface) to hold the bike still.
Thanks for all the input everyone.

I have not one time had the arm come in contact with any portion of the bicycle frame. I always have it on just the tire itself. Always worked great for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1UP USA. Can't say enough good things about it. I've had plenty of racks and it's the best. I have a rear disc and did the research several years ago as well. I made the right choice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since we're on the topic.....1Up gets a lot of votes, and I get why but Rocky Mounts has what seems to be a more user friendly equivalent - the GuideRail. True one handed operation and a couple of other improvements. Anyone have, use, seen that can offer thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Hitch Racks & Rear Disc Wheel [Math Drifter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Math Drifter wrote:
Since we're on the topic.....1Up gets a lot of votes, and I get why but Rocky Mounts has what seems to be a more user friendly equivalent - the GuideRail. True one handed operation and a couple of other improvements. Anyone have, use, seen that can offer thoughts?

1Up does get a lot of votes. This is an old thread (https://www.mtbr.com/...krstuff-etc.1203120/) that talks about some of the similar models including Rocky Mounts and briefly gets into the 1Up founders issues Dr. Alex already mentioned. Short story is these will all work well but my OLD Thule T2 is still kicking.
Last edited by: Lehrn2Lose: Apr 4, 24 6:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have an Allen hitch rack and never remove the disc wheel. I've driven 4 hours to a race with it. Something like this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This thread sums up triathletes.

"Help me spend 100s or 1000s of dollars when 10 dollars could solve my problem"
Lol

Single tie down or ratchet strap if you really want overkill from harbor freight would solve the problem

Edit: I was wrong, dead,dead wrong.

$3.99 solves the problem
https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive/trailers-towing/straps-nets-tie-downs/set-of-2-1-inch-x-12-ft-lashing-straps-67386.html
Last edited by: STeaveA: Apr 5, 24 8:13
Quote Reply
Re: Hitch Racks & Rear Disc Wheel [STeaveA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
STeaveA wrote:
This thread sums up triathletes.

"Help me spend 100s or 1000s of dollars when 10 dollars could solve my problem"
Lol

Single tie down or ratchet strap if you really want overkill from harbor freight would solve the problem

Edit: I was wrong, dead,dead wrong.

$3.99 solves the problem
https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive/trailers-towing/straps-nets-tie-downs/set-of-2-1-inch-x-12-ft-lashing-straps-67386.html

I don’t even have a tri bike anymore but wouldn’t want to deal with that every single time I’d need to load up a bike.
Quote Reply

Prev Next