Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Hit the deck on Keene Descent...Ouch
Quote | Reply
Crazy weather in the morning at IMLP. I hit the deck on the first loop going down the Keene Descent. This is my first major bout with road rash and it sucks!

Here is my report on a very short day.
http://imroycer81.blogspot.com/...xpected-ironman.html

Also...any tips on healing this road rash fast would be greatly appreciated. I still have IMCHOO on the calendar and am anxious to get back to it.

Thanks everyone

https://www.strava.com/athletes/773280
http://imroycer81.blogspot.com/
teamemj.com
everymanjack.com
Quote Reply
Re: Hit the deck on Keene Descent...Ouch [IM_Roycer81] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Keep positive. In all my years of racing, I was most afraid going down that hill in the 2008 monsoon. Heal fast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ouch!

Tegaderm is wonderful for road rash. Google road rash and Tegaderm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wishing you a quick recovery!

website/blog | Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tegaderm is great stuff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thermazine or Silver Sulfadiazine Creme (1%).

It is primarily used as a dressing for skin burns but it works wonders on road rash. I crashed very hard in IM NYC at 36 mph and had road rash all over the left side of my body. I did finish the race and at the first aid tent another STer (Meuf - who headed the medical crew) saw my condition. A few days later I went to her clinic and she prescribed Thermazine for my wounds. My rashes healed very very well and I did not have to deal with scabs because the Thermazine kept the wounds protected. A container won't be cheap but it was worth every single dollar.

Research it.

Good luck and heal well.

.........................__0.............0
...................._.-\ <,_.........</\_
.....~_.o^,....(...)./.(...)......._/\...
Last edited by: paxfobiscum: Jul 30, 14 7:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In some ways you got lucky... Had the roads been bone dry and you crashed like that, you really would have got ripped up... Not that in dry conditions you would have, but I was expecting a lot worse rash
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
condolences on the crash. it was a pretty scary descent during the first loop. i was sitting up and braking for most of it and pretty scared.

on the good side, you have all that great fitness for Chattanooga. you'll have a great race.

run well, run happy
george
Quote Reply
Re: Hit the deck on Keene Descent...Ouch [Maui5150] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maui5150 wrote:
In some ways you got lucky... Had the roads been bone dry and you crashed like that, you really would have got ripped up... Not that in dry conditions you would have, but I was expecting a lot worse rash

Totally agree. The rain in some ways saved me from a much worse fate. The pavement was so drenched I slid more easily than I would have otherwise.

teamemj.com
everymanjack.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Danny, thanks for sharing that. I'm curious to know how many people hit the deck on that descent. I know of at least 4 now.

I rode that part of the course on Friday and was really confused why the state left those long stretches unpaved. I have a feeling I know exactly where you went down, as one of those later sections required steering clear of the shoulder completely due to how bad it was.

I'm not the most experienced rider, so that ride is still a bit terrifying for me. This was my second time down that hill (first on a tri bike) and I was in a ton of pain from my hands through my back by the time I got to the bottom, mainly due to how tense I was the entire time down and because I also forgot my riding gloves. The crosswinds really grabbed my front wheel a lot and I was holding on for dear life and pretty much riding my brakes the entire way. Kudos to guys like you who can ride that hill in aero. That takes some major balls (and maybe a few loose screws!). I don't know how anyone could do that in the rain you guys had to deal with on Sunday morning.

I can only imagine how emotionally painful the experience must have been. I hope you see a lot more success next time around. And hope you heal quickly soon. Best of luck to you!
Quote Reply
Re: Hit the deck on Keene Descent...Ouch [devrock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devrock wrote:
Danny, thanks for sharing that. I'm curious to know how many people hit the deck on that descent. I know of at least 4 now.

I rode that part of the course on Friday and was really confused why the state left those long stretches unpaved. I have a feeling I know exactly where you went down, as one of those later sections required steering clear of the shoulder completely due to how bad it was.

I'm not the most experienced rider, so that ride is still a bit terrifying for me. This was my second time down that hill (first on a tri bike) and I was in a ton of pain from my hands through my back by the time I got to the bottom, mainly due to how tense I was the entire time down and because I also forgot my riding gloves. The crosswinds really grabbed my front wheel a lot and I was holding on for dear life and pretty much riding my brakes the entire way. Kudos to guys like you who can ride that hill in aero. That takes some major balls (and maybe a few loose screws!). I don't know how anyone could do that in the rain you guys had to deal with on Sunday morning.

I can only imagine how emotionally painful the experience must have been. I hope you see a lot more success next time around. And hope you heal quickly soon. Best of luck to you!

Thanks very much for the kind words. That descent is scary when its dry. The rain brought it to a whole new level. Best of luck to you as well!

teamemj.com
everymanjack.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hope you heal up fast. I was there and was scared to death cause no matter how hard I squeezed the brakes the bike wouldn't slow down. Dan Szajta is a very good friend who has trained me all year for this race. He was with me last year when I crashed at Triple T. Heal up a and take IMUCHOO by storm.
Last edited by: cannedham1: Aug 13, 14 4:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What everybody has said to heal is correct. But one of the of the most painful things will be a shower. Buy some Baindaid First Aid Wash. Dab it on the road rash, in a few minutes it will be pretty much num and you can shower with no pain. It is in a blue bottle most drug stores carry it. I always keep it in my go bag for races to be able to clean areas if I go down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad you came out okay and not much worse. Heal up and kick butt at the next race.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OUCH! Heal up quick, and best of luck on your Kona quest next year.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Hit the deck on Keene Descent...Ouch [USCoregonian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another vote for Tegaderm. Worked really well for me in helping protect road rash while it healed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wow, ouccchhh. heal fast, and i agree with you that decsent was the scariest experience I have had on a bike in rain like that. I've never felt relieved making it to the bottom of a descent, but sunday was very different!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ooof! Bummer.

Google DuoDerm. It's like Tegaderm's big brother.

I went down (riding home *after* a race - D'oh!!!) last summer, and the places I used DuoDerm healed remarkably quickly and well.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tegaderm for sure!

I currently have a 8" x 3" strip of skin missing from my upper back from a wreck. The tegaderm worked a shit ton better than the bandage the hospital put on (that one lasted maybe 3 days before peeling off). I had to use three of the 3x3 bandages but they never came off, even with showering. When it came time to take it off (left on for about 10 days), I didn't even notice my wife took it off.

Honestly it only hurt for a week or so. Two and a half weeks later, it is just a large strip of pure white skin.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry about your accident. Hope you heal quickly and that you have a good IMCHOO race.

Curious question: How many times have you biked a descent like Keene, or any steep descent, in aero position, wet or dry roads?
Last edited by: TriBeer: Jul 30, 14 12:47
Quote Reply
Re: Hit the deck on Keene Descent...Ouch [TriBeer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriBeer wrote:
Sorry about your accident. Hope you heal quickly and that you have a good IMCHOO race.

Curious question: Have many times have you biked a descent like Keene, or any steep descent, in aero position, wet or dry roads?

I have done some fairly big descents in the mountains of North Carolina. I was not in the aerobars at the time of the crash. I had my hands on the basebar/brakes. I hit some kind of bump in the road and my hands were so wet from the rain that they just flew off the base bar. In my opinion, staying in the aerobars that day in those conditions would be totally insane.

teamemj.com
everymanjack.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"In my opinion, staying in the aerobars that day in those conditions would be totally insane."

I'm relieved.

Again, heal quickly.

I just thought of something: Take a bath in epsom salts for your road rash. It's a miracle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duoderm is very good for healing road rash quickly. It's better than. Tegaderm but expensive. Keep the wound moist and covered. The fluids that build up underneath the duoderm will speed the healing process. Replace every couple days or when the fluid starts to leak out. Good luck and find some duoderm quickly so you can start using right away. I've used booth and duoderm is a lot better than tegaderm!

"I swim because that's how I get to ride my bike."

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of my life's great adrenaline rushes was doing that descent in a storm in 2002.

Rain blowing sideways across the road, in a tuck, with a disc, going 45+

Bike would skid 10' straight sideways with the wind gusts. Wooooohooooooo!
Quote Reply
Re: Hit the deck on Keene Descent...Ouch [Ashburn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One of my rushes was letting others pass me on that descent while in their aerobars and than my catching them on the flats. ;)
Quote Reply

Prev Next