Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Hit and Run Today, HWY patrol says no crime since I'm fine [justinl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
justinl wrote:
Consider calling Hottman Law. Megan Hottman is an active cycling advocate in Denver and may be willing to at least talk on the phone a bit about your situation.
http://hottmanlawoffice.com/

I would call Megan.....she is a pit bull! and ex-pro cyclist. Knows all to well what it takes...and what you face out on the road!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Hit and Run Today, HWY patrol says no crime since I'm fine [peace242000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't read all 50 some replies but if they said it was because you didn't go to hospital, go to the hospital... Stupid, I agree but go to get checked out, etc and then file the report. Tho PIA for you and I'm sure they'll find a reason not to file charges even after that.
Quote Reply
Re: Hit and Run Today, HWY patrol says no crime since I'm fine [peace242000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There was a story a couple years ago from LA where a Dr was charged after stopping suddenly in fron of 2 riders.

He may have gotten away with it, except someone else had reported it a couple months before. Good thing the first rider reported it.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/...clist-sentenced.html
Quote Reply
Re: Hit and Run Today, HWY patrol says no crime since I'm fine [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Yep, go on with life, be thankful lucky, and change roads and or get a mirror and move out of the way first.

go back in your basement and stick to staring at the wall and riding your trainer. The rest of us will continue to ride in the sunshine and defend our right to do so, safely.
Quote Reply
Re: Hit and Run Today, HWY patrol says no crime since I'm fine [BrianB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BrianB wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

Yep, go on with life, be thankful lucky, and change roads and or get a mirror and move out of the way first.

go back in your basement and stick to staring at the wall and riding your trainer. The rest of us will continue to ride in the sunshine and defend our right to do so, safely.

Wow, have a bad day? Yep, folks need to defend their rights. But folks are telling this guy what to do which is quite different than doing it themselves with the stress
and spending their money for a lawyer.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Hit and Run Today, HWY patrol says no crime since I'm fine [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
with all of these postings you would appear to be blaming the victim. i.e., just ride a less busy road, or use a mirror and move when you see a car behind that you think might be wanting to kill you ... or, why are you riding on the roads at all, just ride the trainer where it's safer. BS.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only thing that matters is what you can prove. Cut your losses and let it go. That's what I would do. If you don't have actual damages you don't have much in the eyes of the legal system, although I'm no lawyer.

Personally, I'd find a different road with less traffic.
Quote Reply
Re: Hit and Run Today, HWY patrol says no crime since I'm fine [BrianB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BrianB wrote:
with all of these postings you would appear to be blaming the victim. i.e., just ride a less busy road, or use a mirror and move when you see a car behind that you think might be wanting to kill you ... or, why are you riding on the roads at all, just ride the trainer where it's safer. BS.

Blaming the victim, give me a break.

He has already posted thoughts that I am just agreeing with him.

I have dealt with hiring an lawyer to fight a cause. It took year, money and way way too much stress.

Just have to picked your battles. Based on what he has posted, I see no way for him to win, so why not move on and learn from what happened.

I see too many roads with bikers that I would NEVER ride on for safety. But you would say but it is their right to ride anywhere they want. Great, but when someone gets killed, who wins?

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well said. Common sense.

h2ofun wrote:
BrianB wrote:

Blaming the victim, give me a break.

He has already posted thoughts that I am just agreeing with him.

I have dealt with hiring an lawyer to fight a cause. It took year, money and way way too much stress.

Just have to picked your battles. Based on what he has posted, I see no way for him to win, so why not move on and learn from what happened.

I see too many roads with bikers that I would NEVER ride on for safety. But you would say but it is their right to ride anywhere they want. Great, but when someone gets killed, who wins?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Many freeways have minimum speed limits. I think more roadways should have this. That would keep the bikes off roadways where it's not practical or safe for bikes.

If you are driving in your car on a two lane roadway where there is a steady volume traffic flowing both directions at 45-55 mph and then encounter another car driving at 15-20 mph, how do you typically react?
Quote Reply
Re: Hit and Run Today, HWY patrol says no crime since I'm fine [Jason80134] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jason80134 wrote:
Many freeways have minimum speed limits. I think more roadways should have this. That would keep the bikes off roadways where it's not practical or safe for bikes.

If you are driving in your car on a two lane roadway where there is a steady volume traffic flowing both directions at 45-55 mph and then encounter another car driving at 15-20 mph, how do you typically react?

Seriously? Are you suggesting that because you come on a slower moving object on the road it's ok to run them off of it, because they should be going faster anyway?

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do what they did for that laura weintraub girl and her video. Get it on social media. Go to the PDs sites ans describe what happened. Go to different cycling sites and do the same. It seems that social media pressure is the only way to get things done now a days

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Re: Hit and Run Today, HWY patrol says no crime since I'm fine [Jason80134] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm really disappointed at some of these responses. I think it's shameful that there are so many cowards who recommend rolling over to this bully. We all need to realize that in these types of situations the cost/benefit equation doesn't end with us individually. If we don't take a stand when things like this happen to us, we let these cycles of violence perpetuate against others over and over.

To the OP - It's great to see that you're not willing to let this go lightly and I respect your courage. You're talking about criminal charges, so you don't need a lawyer and you won't be the one to file suit...that's up to the city/county/state. You just need to keep pushing the DA and/or police to do so. And unfortunately, you may need to educate them on some of the charges that could potentially apply. I don't know what would be applicable, but I'd be searching the Colorado statutes for: reckless driving, road rage, assault, battery, reckless endangerment, leaving the scene of an accident, etc. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Hit and Run Today, HWY patrol says no crime since I'm fine [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jason80134 looks to be an account that h2ofun made, so that he can post and agree with himself
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jason80134 wrote:

As a typical US driver? Or as a sane person who understands traffic, pays attention, and is able to take responsibility for handling a possible deadly machinery?

You can't handle a speed difference of less than 50km/h? Please NEVER, EVER drive in Germany on the "Autobahn" (there you might encounter speed differences of 200km/h).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a sucky thing for the driver to do. Unfortunately, some seem to give more room to a dead animal in the road or slow down more for a man hole cover than a cyclist.
I wear a camera for protection from animals and drivers. A dog ran out into the road and flipped me on my head. $20,000 in damages and luckily, the owner claimed the dog and I remembered enough about the crash that his HO ins is (somewhat) responding.
$130 for a Polariod (I call it my Paranoid) camera. Cheap insurance. Video documentation is worth A LOT. Even more if you can't recall what happened or can't speak for yourself.

In Indiana, you have to give 3' clearance to a pedestrian including cyclist. Surprised CO is so different.
Still, sometimes you have to be a jerk and take the lane or drivers try to squeeze by and create an unsafe situation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The jerk who hit you, sounds like the type that started the Black Forest fire last year.
By the way, I dropped down from Littleton the day before you were hit, and did the Regional Rocky Mountain State Triathlon.
Colorado Springs is a nice area.
Take Care
Quote Reply
Re: Hit and Run Today, HWY patrol says no crime since I'm fine [hammond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hammond wrote:
There was a story a couple years ago from LA where a Dr was charged after stopping suddenly in fron of 2 riders.

He may have gotten away with it, except someone else had reported it a couple months before. Good thing the first rider reported it.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/...clist-sentenced.html

If for no other reason, this.

This guy did it once, he'll do it again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tell them you neck now hurts......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Totally legit. It's at most a summons able offense for leaving the scene of an accident with no injury.

No injury is considered property damage only.

Matt
Race-Ready Endurance Training
Team BIKEWAY.com
NYPD Racing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You just need to suck it up and move on with your life. I have been countless times pushed off the road by drivers and its just part of cycling. There are lots of times even when driving that i have had to swerve off the road but i am not filing a police report or trying to sue them if i am fine in the end....that is what counts in my book. It's just not worth your time to go after every driver who does this stuff. Also since he had a trailer he might have misjudged the distance and might have not been intentional to side swipe you. Just today a lady blew through a stop sign as i was in the middle of the intersection and i have to sprint out of her way, she never once looked up (on her phone), thankfully i was paying attention and noticed she was not stopping. This stuff happens all the time and you are fine. The solution is called a computrainer, MTB, or gravel roads where traffic is minimal or larger group rides where drivers tend to be more cautious. I am in fact from north dallas and even with all the hype around bad Dallas drivers Colorado was one of my worst times with traffic.
Quote Reply
Re: Hit and Run Today, HWY patrol says no crime since I'm fine [ahhchon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've done that with a camera here in New Zealand. (hand guns are illegal here)
If in the USA I'd certainly "carry", to deal with incidents as they happen.

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: Hit and Run Today, HWY patrol says no crime since I'm fine [-Mike-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lol wut?

I hope the next time you get run off the road isnt your last, but it you are happy to take it time and time again, it may well be.
Quote Reply
Re: Hit and Run Today, HWY patrol says no crime since I'm fine [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Devlin wrote:
Jason80134 wrote:

Seriously? Are you suggesting that because you come on a slower moving object on the road it's ok to run them off of it, because they should be going faster anyway?

John

No, I'm suggesting that any mode of transportation should be going fast enough to keep with the flow on a roadway, otherwise it's a dangerous situation. Just because I'm saying that he shouldn't be on the road does not mean I'm saying it's ok to murder him for doing so. Not sure how you made that leap.
Quote Reply
Re: Hit and Run Today, HWY patrol says no crime since I'm fine [MrSkinny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrSkinny wrote:
Jason80134 wrote:

As a typical US driver? Or as a sane person who understands traffic, pays attention, and is able to take responsibility for handling a possible deadly machinery?

You can't handle a speed difference of less than 50km/h? Please NEVER, EVER drive in Germany on the "Autobahn" (there you might encounter speed differences of 200km/h).

Why do you think there are minimum speed limits?
Quote Reply

Prev Next