Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Hill work from Dave Scott
Quote | Reply
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hPxqD5eQhY

Love it. I do hill work every time I run. I tell folks if you are not doing hills in your runs, well, ..

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Hill work from Dave Scott [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool! What kind of results do you get? What are your 5k or marathon PRs?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well what? What do you tell folks?
Quote Reply
Re: Hill work from Dave Scott [mountaindood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mountaindood wrote:

57 years old.

Pushing grandkids double stroller in 5K, a little under 20

1:24 half marathon.

All sub 40's in my 10K's in my olympic tri races last season.

Ran a 3:52 marathon at IMLT passing 400 on the run

I will keep running hills

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for sharing. This brings up a question I was going to post. What kind of intensity do you aim for when doing hills?

I'm not talking about an isolated Hill Repeat-type workout. More like...

Let's say you're doing a 30 minute tempo run at a 6:30 pace and decide to run a road that is hilly: do you let your pace slide (perhaps to 7:15 to compensate) or do you attempt to hold your 6:30 and risk overdoing it week after week?

Likewise if you're doing a 12 mile "long run" at an easy pace and add hills: do you slow yourself down to keep your RPE "easy" or do you push through the hills, thereby turning your easy long run into a moderate/hard long run?

I have access to plenty of hills but I tend to try and hold my pace when doing them and am wondering if that's what has caused my overtraining in the past.
Quote Reply
Re: Hill work from Dave Scott [Kentucky Mac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kentucky Mac wrote:
Thanks for sharing. This brings up a question I was going to post. What kind of intensity do you aim for when doing hills?

Let's say you're doing a 30 minute tempo run at a 6:30 pace and decide to run a road that is hilly: do you let your pace slide (perhaps to 7:15 to compensate) or do you attempt to hold your 6:30 and risk overdoing it week after week?

Likewise if you're doing a 12 mile "long run" at an easy pace and add hills: do you slow yourself down to keep your RPE "easy" or do you push through the hills, thereby turning your easy long run into a moderate/hard long run?

I have access to plenty of hills but I tend to try and hold my pace when doing them and am wondering if that's what has caused my overtraining in the past.

As I have posted many times, for most of us normal folks, intensity stuff can get folks hurt. So I do all my run training at a LSD pace. And my 1000 feet of hill climbing per 9.4 mile loops
is all just get up it nice and slow.

I have known a few folks who tried to run hills with intensity stuff and they hurt themselves.

So just use good judgment. Be able to train the next day. No reason to make hills something you have to worry about time. I know when I race in the hills, I just try to get up them nice and
steady. And since I see so many that walk hills, my steady is sure much faster than their walking.

My hill takes me 4 minutes to climb, going up to maybe 13% grade.

I love that hill picture.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm perplexed as to how calf strength equates to running footstrike volume.

Almost no one actually hits with a forefoot strike, a heel to mid-foot strike would result in a plantar flexing moment requiring dorsi-flexor action to control the guidance of the foot to the ground.
In a true midfoot strike, there's no movement about the ankle required for full foot strike. Therefore no calf activity to quiet the strike.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Last edited by: xtrpickels: Feb 25, 15 14:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kentucky Mac wrote:

I remember years ago, Peter Reid saying he used to walk up hills regularly to keep in the right zone.
Quote Reply
Re: Hill work from Dave Scott [tlc13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So it sounds like it's best to keep tempo and speed work on level ground....and aim to do easy running on hills if possible, not trying to hold a particular pace. I only do one speed workout and one tempo workout per week; the other 5 days are easy running.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kentucky Mac wrote:
So it sounds like it's best to keep tempo and speed work on level ground....and aim to do easy running on hills if possible, not trying to hold a particular pace. I only do one speed workout and one tempo workout per week; the other 5 days are easy running.

Makes sense to me. My "running" up my hill is not that much faster than walking. But from everything I have ever read, hills are the best way to build strength.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the advice. Not sure where that is in the picture, but it is very reminiscent of Central KY.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Re the Hills and intensity, i concur re the elevated injury line..

I signed up for a trail running series just for a laugh (Nov through March), and that opened my eyes to what real hill work is... ripped up calves and mashed quads, legs easily as rooted after 12k race as after IM....

gradients of 30 degree's were common up and down.. some lasting almost 3kms (walking up that at threshold for 20 mins was ridiculous to have such high effort for such low speed.. )

That said i am absolutely running stronger for it.. not inherently faster yet, but its very early in the 2015 program...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If Dave says to run hills then you run hills. I agree with both you and Dave.
Quote Reply
Re: Hill work from Dave Scott [shadwell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shadwell wrote:
Re the Hills and intensity, i concur re the elevated injury line..

I signed up for a trail running series just for a laugh (Nov through March), and that opened my eyes to what real hill work is... ripped up calves and mashed quads, legs easily as rooted after 12k race as after IM....

gradients of 30 degree's were common up and down.. some lasting almost 3kms (walking up that at threshold for 20 mins was ridiculous to have such high effort for such low speed.. )

That said i am absolutely running stronger for it.. not inherently faster yet, but its very early in the 2015 program...

Just stick at it. The trick is get stronger but DO NOT GET hurt! I believe running faster happens, at least it has seemed for me, to be able to train running, for years, 12 months a year, without getting hurt!
Otherwise you have to start over again.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh I'm stickin at it alright..

its a funny opposite to the usual longer slower road running (hilly or otherwise).. racing off road on seriously tough courses really does rip you up tho.... still 3-4 days after the DOM's has about passed and its back on plan.. its hellish at the time, but it is a sickning sort of fun..

Cheers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
mountaindood wrote:

57 years old.

Pushing grandkids double stroller in 5K, a little under 20

1:24 half marathon.

All sub 40's in my 10K's in my olympic tri races last season.

Ran a 3:52 marathon at IMLT passing 400 on the run

I will keep running hills

How many seconds over 40 minutes still counts as sub 40?
Quote Reply
Re: Hill work from Dave Scott [rhayden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bet you don't weigh 210lb :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Dave:

Thanks for posting. What kind of weekly mileage do you put in running and how many actual runs? At 60 I really appreciate your accomplishments.
Quote Reply
Re: Hill work from Dave Scott [lutzman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ooh! Ooh! I can answer that! He does 3 90 minute runs a week and also a 10 minute brick run after his daily 90 minute trainer session, wherein he uses Powercranks. Also- he will let his results speak for themselves. Anyone who does different training than what he does is risking getting hurt.

Geez, you must be new around here!

"Honestly, triathlon is a pussified version of duathlon on that final run."- Desert Dude

Quote Reply
Re: Hill work from Dave Scott [teekona] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
teekona wrote:
Ooh! Ooh! I can answer that! He does 3 90 minute runs a week and also a 10 minute brick run after his daily 90 minute trainer session, wherein he uses Powercranks. Also- he will let his results speak for themselves. Anyone who does different training than what he does is risking getting hurt.

Don't forget that every workout is LSD, race lots, train every day, stay at race weight every day and have 3 velotrons that you set at 193w everyday.

And the biggest ones, be retired, and don't even think about tris until your kids are 10.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dam that is impressive!

Kudos to you
Quote Reply
Re: Hill work from Dave Scott [Jctriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jctriguy wrote:
teekona wrote:

Don't forget that every workout is LSD, race lots, train every day, stay at race weight every day and have 3 velotrons that you set at 193w everyday.

And the biggest ones, be retired, and don't even think about tris until your kids are 10.

You also HAVE to go to bed at 6pm everyday, no matter what.

teekona wrote:

Wow, Teekona....dishing a lot of snark today. Sorry for insulting you with an honest question. I'm just trying to fight my way back after crashing last year at Boise. I broke my shoulder, clavicle and seven ribs and the return to training intensity has just been really hard at 60. With your history I kind of thought you of all people would appreciate the challenges of a comeback. Whatever. Good luck to you.
Quote Reply
Re: Hill work from Dave Scott [Jctriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jctriguy wrote:
teekona wrote:

Also, you are not allowed to consume alcohol.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Training/Racing Log - http://www.earthdaykid.com/blog --- Old Training/Racing Log - http://colinlaughery.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Hill work from Dave Scott [colinlaughery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
colinlaughery wrote:
Jctriguy wrote:
teekona wrote:

Also, you are not allowed to consume alcohol.

It's easy to poke fun..but I don't see anything "wrong" with the workout advice listed above. Are there other ways to train, sure. But to Dave's point, he's not 30 yrs old and things don't work like they used to.

My guess is that Dave spends more time training than 75-80% of the folks that post here do..

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply

Prev Next