Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help with training plan for Syracuse 70.3 / IMLP
Quote | Reply
Hi all,

I am working on my Annual Training Plan and am basing it on the linear periodization principles described in Joe Friel's Triathlon Training Bible. I'm registered for IMLP 2018 and would like to do a HIM prior to the full. I'm debating doing the classic Syracuse 70.3 / IMLP one-two punch, but am not totally clear on how to plan my Annual Training Plan for these two races, given that IMLP is five weeks after Syracuse. Should I do a full taper for Syracuse or a mini-taper? And following Syracuse, should I launch immediately back into Build 2 and Peak, or is there a better strategy?

I kind of feel that an earlier-season race (i.e., St. George 70.3) would make more sense, since I could designate them both as A-priority races and do a full-taper and transition, but my understanding is that Syracuse 70.3 / IMLP is a classic, so there must be a reason for it.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: Help with training plan for Syracuse 70.3 / IMLP [SBR10003] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So crazy, this sounds exactly like my anticipate 2018. I'm definitely in for IMLP, but debating on Syracuse (I did it this year). Have you considered Rev3 Quassy? It's a little earlier in the season than Syracuse, but still hilly, from what I understand.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I followed the Grant Anderson strong IM finish plan on trainingpeaks last year. Did Syracuse and IMLP and had great races at both.
Quote Reply
Re: Help with training plan for Syracuse 70.3 / IMLP [ninagski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ninagski wrote:
So crazy, this sounds exactly like my anticipate 2018. I'm definitely in for IMLP, but debating on Syracuse (I did it this year). Have you considered Rev3 Quassy? It's a little earlier in the season than Syracuse, but still hilly, from what I understand.
I have not - I'll look into this! However, I've been told that Syracuse is a great warm-up for IMLP, so I imagine there's a good way to handle the training!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
X 2 for Quassy. That course will prepare you for just about anything. Plus as stated its a little bit earlier in June.
Quote Reply
Re: Help with training plan for Syracuse 70.3 / IMLP [Bubblehead] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, guys. I hadn't heard of Quassy before, so I'll definitely take a look into it. I do like the fact that it's earier in June!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBR10003 wrote:
Thanks, guys. I hadn't heard of Quassy before, so I'll definitely take a look into it. I do like the fact that it's earier in June![/quote

Quassy is a great (very hilly) race. Highly recommend it.
Quote Reply
Re: Help with training plan for Syracuse 70.3 / IMLP [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, McMaster. I looked into Quassy some more and it fits into my schedule very neatly (I can do a mini-taper during my last week of Build 1 for Quassy). However, still open to any other recommendations that you guys might have. Thanks! :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The JerseyMan Triathlon in late May is also pretty good. Moderately hilly - they have a sprint and a "half-light" option. The half-light is more than an olympic, but less than a half.
Quote Reply