Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help with R9150 Rear Derailleur
Quote | Reply
Good morning slowtwitch, so I am maybe missing something or just don't understand an issue I am having with my new dura ace r9150 rear derailleur. First off, why is it so damn hard to remove the rear wheel with this new derailleur even when I was able to shift the rear into the 11 and the front into the 39? Also, I have replaced my shifters and brake levers with the new dura ace ones, which only have one button, and if I am using synchroshift which I am, I can't get the rear derailleur into the 11 with the front into the 39. Am I missing something? Thanks for the help.

Jimmy
Quote Reply
Re: Help with R9150 Rear Derailleur [jsosinski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey - I just got a new bike with the 9150 and have the same issues you describe. As far as I can figure, there was a design change to the derailleur that keeps it closer to the cassette and makes it more difficult to remove the rear wheel. The syncro shift and rear wheel removal is a true PITA. I found the best way to do it is to put it on the small chainring and the smallest cog the syncro shift will go to before moving up to the big chainring. I have to manually flex the derailleur to remove the rear wheel on my bike.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Help with R9150 Rear Derailleur [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I find it extremely funny that shimano describes the new design to make it much easier and faster to remove the rear wheel since the new design has it pushed further back. This is the reason why I am wondering if I am missing something!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i believe the 9150 prevents you from cross chaining. also, have you doubled clicked your junction box A button? that swaps between shift modes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To answer your question about why you can't use the 11/12 cassette with the small chainring in the front.
The new Di2 9100 was designed to prevent and minimize cross chaining, therefore it prevents you from using those gears.
It took me a while to figure that out and I wish there is more documentation for this new system.
Quote Reply
Re: Help with R9150 Rear Derailleur [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know how the synchroshift works and understand I can switch between shift modes but I don't think that should be necessary if a flat happens and I need to get the wheel off to fix it.
Quote Reply
Re: Help with R9150 Rear Derailleur [rlem7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the response but I understand the reason I can't get into the 11 or 12 on the 39 ring. I never had any question about that. I am asking if I am missing something regarding getting the wheel off my bike since it seems the RD is more in the way than the old versions. Also, because I can't get into the 11 on the 39 ring, is there something I am missing to make it easier to get the wheel off. I can't find any guidance online about this. I figured someone on here would know or would have had this issue and figured it out. Thanks again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I was removing a rear wheel, I would shift into the big chainring and the smallest cog on the cassette.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jsosinski wrote:
Thanks for the response but I understand the reason I can't get into the 11 or 12 on the 39 ring. I never had any question about that.

Uhhh...

yourself wrote:
I can't get the rear derailleur into the 11 with the front into the 39. Am I missing something?

Also, I agree with Jim, not sure why you're using the little ring when removing rear wheel. It's much easier in the big ring.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My apologies, I was not very clear in my original post. I understand why I can't get into the 11 while I'm the 39. I have always been told and found out that it was easiest to remove the wheel when it is in the small small because the chain would have optimal length to remove the wheel off the bike. I will obviously try the 53-11 to get the wheel off. Thanks again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jsosinski wrote:
My apologies, I was not very clear in my original post. I understand why I can't get into the 11 while I'm the 39. I have always been told and found out that it was easiest to remove the wheel when it is in the small small because the chain would have optimal length to remove the wheel off the bike. I will obviously try the 53-11 to get the wheel off. Thanks again.

I have not found a procedure that allows me to remove my wheel in the 52x11 on my bike. I initially thought the chain was too short, but it was initially setup to go into a full cross-chain on the big ring. If it can do that, the chain is not too short. So anyway, I don't know if this problem is specific to me, my bike, or the rear derailleur, but I find it not possible to remove the rear wheel in the 52x11.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what is difficult about it? what type of bike? horizontal or vertical dropouts? do you find most difficulty when bike is on ground, upside down, in workstand...etc?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
what is difficult about it? what type of bike? horizontal or vertical dropouts? do you find most difficulty when bike is on ground, upside down, in workstand...etc?

My bike has vertical dropouts. In my case, there is just insufficient slack in the chain to get it out, which I *think* is due to the design change in the RD.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should be able to rotate the derailleur's cage forward with your hand to get plenty of slack to remove the wheel.
Quote Reply
Re: Help with R9150 Rear Derailleur [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From this discussion on the WW forum it sounds like the new shadow style derailleur link position may prevent the derailleur knuckle from rotating open below the dropout enough to clear the cassette/axle/skewer when in the lowest cog. I haven't had this issue on the XTR Shadow RD, but who knows what has changed for the 9150.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I take mine on/ off the trainer a few times a week and never had an issue.

Big ring/ small cog. I stand on the left side of the bike and use my left hand to grab the chain at the top of the cog, lift and use my right to slide my wheel out.

Maybe it is a lack of chain slack?
Quote Reply