Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help w bike trainer + HRM for 70.3
Quote | Reply
Looking for threads/advice/plans using bike trainer + heart rate monitor during Jan-Mar months in prep for SYR 70.3. I found bike trainer threads using a power meter, but none w HRM. Suggestions appreciated. fyi I'm BOP AG (turning 50) and did 18mph on flats of FL 70.3 and B2B. Thx!

"Some guys they just give up living, and start dying little by little piece by piece. Some guys come home from work and wash up, then go racin' in the street." Bruce Springsteen
Quote Reply
Re: Help w bike trainer + HRM for 70.3 [Bigcreek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With a trainer and HRM you can use Trainer Road to do power*-based workouts. They have some basic plans there too, or you can build your own from the 100s of workouts they have available. Any of the power-based plans can be done with TrainerRoad.

* - 'virtual' power, calculated from your trainer speed - all you need is an ANT+ speed sensor. There are a ton of threads here about TrainerRoad. (trainerroad.com)

----------------------------------
http://ironvision.blogspot.com ; @drSteve1663
Quote Reply
Re: Help w bike trainer + HRM for 70.3 [Bigcreek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bigcreek wrote:
Looking for threads/advice/plans using bike trainer + heart rate monitor during Jan-Mar months in prep for SYR 70.3. I found bike trainer threads using a power meter, but none w HRM. Suggestions appreciated. fyi I'm BOP AG (turning 50) and did 18mph on flats of FL 70.3 and B2B. Thx!

A buddy of mine did this and it went well
You could do most of your training with TrainerRoad and Virtual Power. He in fact did it with Golden Cheetah, but same idea.
As race time approaches and you've zeroed in on your FTP, do a long ride at 80% of FTP and look at your HR and feel your PE. This is roughly your race pace.
Go outside and do a few race rehearsals using that HR and RPE. Ride for 3 hours and do a brick. Adjust if needed.

I don't know how much you weigh or what type of gearing you have but be prepared to do a lot of climbing for the first part. If you don't have the right gearing and you're heavier, you may burn a few matches on the first 1/2 hour.
Last edited by: marcag: Jan 3, 13 17:10
Quote Reply