Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help please with Front Derailleur
Quote | Reply
I got a new frame and transferred over my SRAM Red 11s etap group set over to it. The group set is over 5 years old but working fine.

So last weekend, I noticed a slight delay in my front derailleur moving the chain from the small ring to big ring. I tried to adjust the limit screw and I think it was rusted and it broke and it’s stuck in it. Now it’s stuck on the small chain ring and it won’t shift to the big ring. I ordered a SRAM Force AXS front derailleur and paid for expedited shipping but that got lost in transit. They are sending me another one but won’t get to me in time for my race on Sunday.

So I have 2 options.

1)move the front derailleur from my road bike. I have to reprogram it.

2)just remove the front derailleur and put the chain on the big ring. It’s a flat course and I won’t need the small ring. Will the chain stay on the big ring? If it will, then I rather go with this option.
Quote Reply
Re: Help please with Front Derailleur [AchillesHeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't run a 2x chainring as a 1x setup without, at a minimum, a clutched derailleur or a chain keeper. Do you have a mountain or gravel bike with a chain keeper you could steal?

If I were in your position I would use the FD of your roadie and reprogram it if you have, or just get it over the big ring and use that as a chain catcher. Not optimal but better than nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: Help please with Front Derailleur [erbrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
erbrown wrote:
I wouldn't run a 2x chainring as a 1x setup without, at a minimum, a clutched derailleur or a chain keeper. Do you have a mountain or gravel bike with a chain keeper you could steal?

If I were in your position I would use the FD of your roadie and reprogram it if you have, or just get it over the big ring and use that as a chain catcher. Not optimal but better than nothing.

I could do that! Thx
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This might help if there's 1-day shipping in your area. Screw extractors.
(no affiliation)

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
did you remember that the high limit screw is reverse threaded? If you think you are loosening it you could actually be tightening it. I'm not sure that helps, but worth checking.
Quote Reply
Re: Help please with Front Derailleur [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the old derailleur is shot but I’ll tinker with it after the race. Don’t trust it if I got it to function right now.
Quote Reply