Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Help out a new race director [lisac957] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We are planning to reach out to a couple of local food trucks that serve healthy/paleo food, so we're really excited about that. I didn't think about including a voucher for each participant...might get pricey, but a good idea for sure. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Help out a new race director [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the input. Ease of packet pickup is huge for us, so it's nice to have that reinforced. Same for a well-marked course-- we tend to go overboard with arrows, volunteers, and police.

We are definitely planning to have a couple photographers there as well, and we never charge people for these photos.
Quote Reply
Re: Help out a new race director [Redline Events] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't see it mentioned here already, but in reference to your swim. Be very clear about the requirements. Do you have to touch the wall of the lane you're in, touch the wall of the adjacent lane and then do your next 50m? Is touching one or both walls underwater sufficient? If not touching both walls, are flip turns allowed? I race with three local series, and each one has different requirements for their snake swims. It can get quite confusing for both new and seasoned racers. So just be really clear in your explanation of the swim what is expected/required.

One of the things that a local series around here does is gives out raffle tickets to the volunteers, and draws tickets for them during the award ceremony. It really shows the appreciation the race org has for it's volunteers, and also gives the racers to cheer and thank them. The prizes are usually locally baked goods.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it's great that you're reaching out like this for input.
That being said I'd like to offer the following:
1) swim course. 15 secs between swimmers would be great in a 50 M pool. Be sure and have someone at the swim start check that the proper athlete starts at the proper time. Last race I did like this a guy started 4 people ahead because he "knew" he was faster than those around him. Never caught till after results were announced.
2). Lots of volunteers. Have the sharpest ones at the turnarounds. If you're short people, use lots of chalk.
3). Quick results. This'll be tough with a tt format. Barring this, if the athletes know approx when to expect results, that's good.
4). Someone in transition pre-race who has no assigned duties other than to answer everyone's questions correctly.

Hope this helps.
Quote Reply
Re: Help out a new race director [mleech77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Both great ideas...thanks. I think for the swim, we'd like to keep it as simple as possible to avoid the kind of confusion you're talking about...but I just assumed everyone would get it, so thanks for pointing out that we need to go over it in more detail.

The volunteer raffle is a great idea. Thankfully, this is an event that the local community has rallied around in the past, and we would definitely like to pay them back in whatever small ways we can.
Quote Reply
Re: Help out a new race director [big-w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your input!

1. We'll have a timing mat at the start so that your time starts at the moment you jump into the pool. So even if this happens, everyone will have an accurate time. We will still have someone there, of course, to keep everyone in order the best we can.
2. Definitely. We're offering sponsorship to a lot of local companies in return for simply providing volunteers, and we always over-mark our courses.
3. I've noticed a lot of people saying this, and it's definitely sticking. Part of this depends on what our timing company is capable of, but we'll push them to move as quickly as possible.
4. We always designate 1-2 volunteers (our best ones) and give them this job. They just walk around asking if anyone needs anything and answering questions.

It sounds like most people are recommending at least 10 seconds between starts...that's definitely more than I would have thought, but from an athlete's perspective, it will definitely make for a better experience.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Redline Events wrote:

What do you hate about the local sprint tris that you've done?
- Not sticking to a schedule and running on time?
- Not enough aid stations?
- Cheap medals/awards?
- What else?

What are some things that have stood out to you (race organizer went above and beyond)?
- "That was a nice touch" sorts of things
- Carpet from the water to transition?
- Door prizes?
- Free entries next year for this year's winners?
- What were you pleasantly surprised by?

On a scale of 1-10, how important is the quality of the shirt to you?
On a scale of 1-10, how important is the quality of the finisher medal to you?
On a scale of 1-10, how important is the quality of the awards to you?

What else should I be asking? There are some no-brainers, like safety, that are a top priority. I'm looking more for the things that set a race apart. We appreciate any guidance you guys can give, both from an athlete's perspective or an organizer's perspective.

Some things I dislike about some of the small local races:
- crappy timing/not enough timing mats (e.g. only having a mat at the entrance or exit to transition so transition times are lumped in with one of the race legs)
- not enough course marking or volunteers on the course
- swag bags full of useless junk and flyers for upcoming races
- inadequate pre-race instructions or PA systems that aren't loud enough to ensure that everyone can hear the pre-race instructions

Shirt: 9/10 - quality is important if you're going to give them out. I'd rather not get one than get a cheap/ugly one. Agree with the soft cotton shirts vs. tradition t-shirts or tech shirts.
Medal: 5/10 - quality isn't all that important, most of them end up in a bag in the basement anyway. I do like the idea of distinguishing between a finisher medal and a podium medal, whether it's with different medals, engraving, etc.
Awards: 7/10 - my favorite was a gift certificate to a local running shop.

To me personally, the most important thing is that local races feel safe & well-organized, have adequate volunteers, appropriate road closures, etc. I'd rather see my entry money spent on those things than fancy medals, awards, etc.

Good luck with your race!
Quote Reply
Re: Help out a new race director [Dgconner154] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome, thanks. Timing mats shouldn't be a problem...I totally agree this is a must-have.

It's also nice to hear that you care more about the overall quality and safety of the event than the fringe benefits--finisher medals, awards, etc. I think it's easy to overlook some of that stuff and get caught up in the details, so thanks for the reminder.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Redline Events wrote:
We're leaning toward the super-soft cotton shirts, but it's nice to have you reinforce that.

We always do hand-made, custom awards for the overall winners, and try to think outside the box when it comes to age group awards as well. When it comes to an age group award-- would you prefer a gift card to a local running/bike shop (probably small--$10 to $20), or a more material award that you can put on your shelf, like a mug or a plaque?

Thanks for the transition class idea...we're going to try to incorporate something like that on race morning, and potentially the night before at packet pickup as well.

+1 on the super soft cottons. But beyond that, try to design a 'cool' shirt that, say, Keith Urban would wear. That way they won't all sit in a closet for the rest of their lives. I know you may need to put sponsor names on the back or something, but at least make the front cool.

That's a cool shirt:
http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/...2013/05/53362427.jpg

That's not:
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/...AzBjZfpr_0_gLLei_4fw

you get the idea.

Re age group awards, I think most people who win them like to have a plaque or small trophy to put on the shelf. My favorite was a bobble head with a small plaque on the base.

Overall just make the race run smoothly and don't wait forever for awards. Have some good food afterwards if you can, even if just stuff like mixed nuts and m&ms along with the usual stuff. Best ever post race food for me was scrambled eggs and sausages.

Have enough porta-johns if not enough proper restrooms.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mleech77 wrote:
One of the things that a local series around here does is gives out raffle tickets to the volunteers, and draws tickets for them during the award ceremony. It really shows the appreciation the race org has for it's volunteers, and also gives the racers to cheer and thank them. The prizes are usually locally baked goods.

Agree with this. If you want people to stick around for awards then as well as starting them promptly before everyone has got bored, have a big raffle prize at the end (kids bike donated by a local bike shop?).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Redline Events wrote:
Both great ideas...thanks. I think for the swim, we'd like to keep it as simple as possible to avoid the kind of confusion you're talking about...but I just assumed everyone would get it, so thanks for pointing out that we need to go over it in more detail.

The volunteer raffle is a great idea. Thankfully, this is an event that the local community has rallied around in the past, and we would definitely like to pay them back in whatever small ways we can.

Along those lines, set aside some food at water for the volunteers. I have volunteered at a couple of events and stood outside in the sun all day directing runners and traffic, then after the last runner comes through, going to the finish and finding that all of the food and water have been packed up or eaten. May sure your volunteers have food, water, sunscreen, and someone to relieve them if they need to go to the bathroom or take a break.
Quote Reply
Re: Help out a new race director [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:

That's a cool shirt:
http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/...2013/05/53362427.jpg

Throwing the challenge flag on that one. I want nothing to do with anything Keith Urban would wear ;)

Seriously though, another thought on shirts is to make them available for purchase rather than included in the entry fee. I think most people who want/value and event shirt are willing to pay something for a decent one. That also allows you to be a little more selective rather than letting the quality be determined by the cost that can be covered by the entry fee. There's a local race here that sells out quickly every year and offers limited edition t-shirts for purchase by registered athletes ahead of the race.
Quote Reply
Re: Help out a new race director [happyscientist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another great idea. Maybe we should set up a tent or an area for volunteers to check in and just hang out when they're not actively working, where they would have their own water and food.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What do you hate about the local sprint tris that you've done?
- Not sticking to a schedule and running on time? (not really a problem)
- Not enough aid stations? (no, but make sure it's mixed properly and there's enough if hot)
- Cheap medals/awards? (Don't care much)
- What else?

What are some things that have stood out to you (race organizer went above and beyond)?
- "That was a nice touch" sorts of things (cold towels during a hot run)
- Carpet from the water to transition? (yes, and kind of duh)
- Door prizes? (if it's donated by sponsors, but don't spend $$ on it)
- Free entries next year for this year's winners? (nah)
- What were you pleasantly surprised by?

On a scale of 1-10, how important is the quality of the shirt to you? 1, at this point I prefer towels and socks
On a scale of 1-10, how important is the quality of the finisher medal to you? 1, but for some I know this is important
On a scale of 1-10, how important is the quality of the awards to you? 1

What else should I be asking? There are some no-brainers, like safety, that are a top priority. I'm looking more for the things that set a race apart. We appreciate any guidance you guys can give, both from an athlete's perspective or an organizer's perspective.

Course marshals to make sure folks get help (flat tires, broken bikes). WELL-MARKED turns, preferably manned. For pool sendoffs, I've seen snake swimming (diving under lane lines) to help with throughput @ 30" intervals works.

And don't overthink it. If you emphasize the facts that this benefits the pool and you're there to have fun, folks will generally get behind you and can tolerate alot of sins. What makes you different is you're supporting YOUR location. Go to tri, swim, running clubs and advertise. Raffle off a few entries at their meetings/workouts. It might take a year to work out kinks, but I rather like the quirky little races when they embrace their quirks!

----------------------------------------------------------------
Life is tough. But it's tougher when you're stupid. -John Wayne
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 on a decent PA system. Nothing worse than hearing "Stand by for an important race announcement" then something that sounds like Charlie Brown's teacher.
Also give some thought to your PA 'coverage' if the start / transition / porta potty areas are spread out.

Some form of shade/weather protection is really nice. I think I nearly got heatstroke _after_ one race last year waiting around in the sun.
Last edited by: coreyasaur: May 4, 16 9:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ha! Well I knew someone would disagree! I don't particularly like KU or country music but I do think he's a pretty cool guy.

It's a good idea to have the shirts for sale, but it also makes it even more incumbent on the race organiser to make it a desirable shirt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another comment about shirts. Offer an option for $X.XX off of the race if you don't want a shirt, or pick a local charity and let the racers opt to not receive a shirt and $X.XX is donated to that charity in their name.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's interesting. We always offer extra shirts to participants (basically at cost), but not many people take us up on that. To make sure I understand what you're saying...there would be two options to register-- $50 with a shirt or $40 without a shirt. Is that what you're suggesting?
Quote Reply
Re: Help out a new race director [karlaj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your thoughts. We've talked about course support/ SAG, but what do you guys think is a good number of support stations/vehicles out on the course? It's a ~13 mile, single loop course with basically no overlap.
Quote Reply
Re: Help out a new race director [coreyasaur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We have a decent PA system and the pool also has a built-in system, so I think that should work. We're also lucky in that the pool is ours to use, which comes with some giant umbrellas for people to hang out under after the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Redline Events wrote:
Thanks for your thoughts. We've talked about course support/ SAG, but what do you guys think is a good number of support stations/vehicles out on the course? It's a ~13 mile, single loop course with basically no overlap.

for a 13 mile course I'd think you only need one vehicle doing laps that had your bike mechanic in it.

I know you posted earlier but the food truck idea is really great. I'm sure it will beat stale pretzels and cold pizza

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Redline Events wrote:
That's interesting. We always offer extra shirts to participants (basically at cost), but not many people take us up on that. To make sure I understand what you're saying...there would be two options to register-- $50 with a shirt or $40 without a shirt. Is that what you're suggesting?
Yes, that's exactly what I'm suggesting. There are a lot of us out there who just don't want another shirt. I mean I do, but my wife is getting tired of the number of shirts I have, so happy wife, happy life, I don't want another shirt. It's nice to have a little discount and not get a shirt. That being said, I have no problem paying the same price as everyone else, not getting the shirt, and having that $10 go to a local charity. So three options:
1) $50 registration
2) $40 registration but no event shirt
3) $50 registration, no shirt, $10 of your registration goes to the charity picked by the race.

Honestly, if I'm deciding between two races and see that one is giving back to a local charity, they're going to get my money every time. I had one that the donation went to the disabled athletes organization to help buy new rafts and buggies that they ride in during races. It was a great feeling to know my money was going to help others participate in this sport we all love.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1)Submit your race results to USAT quickly. I know the deadline is 15 business days after the event, but some RD's are notorious for sending results in months late. That drives me crazy. Submit your results the Monday after the event if you really want to stand out from other race directing companies.

2) Make sure you have a guy in a gorilla suit chasing around 6'7" guy in a banana suit. Make sure they help old ladies cross the street safely. Also, most importantly, make sure the gorilla doesn't pace anyone on the run.

If you do these things, I'll do your race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the nice touch column - one race series that I have done give all their marshals a printed list of the competitors names and number so that they marshals can offer support by name.
Quote Reply
Re: Help out a new race director [gregarious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The gorilla/banana combo are sure to make an appearance...though if I'm not mistaken, there's a Mr. Gregarious who is already registered.

As for the results, the plan is to submit those first thing on Monday...because I agree, it's pretty obnoxious to post results online but not submit them to USAT for weeks.
Quote Reply

Prev Next