Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Help my wife just signed me up for a 10k
Quote | Reply
My wife just signed us both up for a 10k in early November, so I have about 3 months to train for it. My running condition is pretty bad due to my current running schedule of somewhere between 0 and 10 miles per week (although I'm doing Trainerroad and mountain biking every week, so I have endurance fitness). Any good ideas for a "12 week Couch to 10k" plan? I tend to get achilles/plantar issues if I ramp up my running too quickly, so I am wary of just grabbing a plan off the internet. And I guess as a side goal I'm looking for a program to keep a more consistent running schedule, for whatever that's worth. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Help my wife just signed me up for a 10k [Toothless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've returned to running several times after lengthy injuries/illness. Here's some thoughts. Try to spread that 10 miles-per-week over 6-7 days, even if that means you only run 1 mile on some days. And make these EASY RUNS. Be consistent and run every day if you can, but keep them easy and short. Each week add 10% to the mix, so the first couple of weeks you'll be adding 1 mile each week. Later you'll be adding 1.5 miles per week, etc. You should get up to 26 or so miles on the week before the race. About a month from now, add strides to the end of these easy runs, just a few each day to remind your legs what running fast is. Also make one day a "tempo" day but don't go nuts. Just run a bit faster than the easy runs. I wouldn't go crazy with track workouts or anything complicated until you are running 30+ miles per week easily. Just keep it simple and the slow volume build will make you faster.
Quote Reply
Re: Help my wife just signed me up for a 10k [Kentucky Mac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Long run
Tempo
12x 400s faster than your race pace.

If anything, don't even focus on "miles" focus on getting out for a certain amount of time. So run for an hour on Sunday. 30 min hard on Wednesday, and 12x1:30ish at a fast, sustainable pace with 1 min active recovery.

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Re: Help my wife just signed me up for a 10k [Im-a-miler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, these are both good posts although somewhat contradictory about doing track/interval work. I'll keep doing hard intervals on the bike and move cautiously into the run intervals. And I guess the confusing part is figuring out where to add in the 10% mileage throughout the week, but maybe an excel spreadsheet can do the work for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So effectively you are starting from scratch on the run. Forget he track, forget the intervals. Simply work on running more often mostly slow and easy. Throw in some strides if you want but focus needs to be on building duration running without getting injured. Run 5x a week at least but almost all of it slow and easy.
Quote Reply
Re: Help my wife just signed me up for a 10k [CBJFan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CBJFan wrote:
So effectively you are starting from scratch on the run. Forget he track, forget the intervals. Simply work on running more often mostly slow and easy. Throw in some strides if you want but focus needs to be on building duration running without getting injured. Run 5x a week at least but almost all of it slow and easy.

Yup this. If you want to change things up to add a bit of variety you could throw in some trail running, hill repeats etc but just focus on running lots and keeping it easy, which means less chance of injury. Volume and consistency are key.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
from couch, with achilles issues...............and you recommend 12 x 400................really? No thought of injury there? especially since you do not know age or anything???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are truly a couch potato, keep 95% of your running slow. Honestly, I'd add walk breaks to your miles for the first few weeks (run 5 minutes, walk 1 minute, repeat). If you jump into intervals or track work or a long run you could get injured.

Read this thread and pay attention to everything Devashish_paul says:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...0K_runs%3F_P6243732/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
12x 400s faster than your race pace.

He is coming off running 0 - 10 miles per week. If I did the 12 x 400's with that little running behind me, I'd be injured within a few days.
Quote Reply
Re: Help my wife just signed me up for a 10k [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
CBJFan wrote:

Yup this. If you want to change things up to add a bit of variety you could throw in some trail running, hill repeats etc but just focus on running lots and keeping it easy, which means less chance of injury. Volume and consistency are key.
Agreed. Just run. Run every day.

Your 10 miles a week is probably 2x5 miles, and it takes you 2-3 days to recover from those 5 miles. Rinse/repeat, right? Go shorter, and super easy, 2 miles (maaaaybe 3 miles) a day to start with, but every day, and ramp it up from there.
Quote Reply
Re: Help my wife just signed me up for a 10k [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess I should have been a little more clear- work up to that amount. But realistically, 12x400 is less than half of the race distance and faster than race pace is all relative. At 4% of the race distance, why not begin running durations a little faster than race pace? That pace is up to the person to choose. Anyone that's on this forum should have some sense in what they are capable of on or off the couch.

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why did your wife sign you up. Does she want to do it with you together? Ifso is she faster than you or slower. No point in beating her time.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Help my wife just signed me up for a 10k [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all of the follow ups and additional comments on intensity. I'll stick to 2-3 mile runs 5-6x per week and see how I feel and increase from there. Somebody asked for my age - 43.

Why did she sign me up? My wife did this race last year and wanted to include me this year. Her best 10k time is not as good as mine, but she's currently in better running shape. I think we will try to run it together, but it actually hasn't been discussed.
Quote Reply
Re: Help my wife just signed me up for a 10k [Kentucky Mac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kentucky Mac wrote:
I've returned to running several times after lengthy injuries/illness. Here's some thoughts. Try to spread that 10 miles-per-week over 6-7 days, even if that means you only run 1 mile on some days. And make these EASY RUNS.
=====================================================
i agree, and think this might be your safest and happiest means of training for your 10K.
only 1 mile sometimes? i've always found one mile to be better than no mile, especially in consistency, both in mindset and practice. likewise, especially right at the first, you might want to consider the value found in many rehab programs: go to something like walk a block, run a block. or 1/4 mile run, 1/4 mile walk. and so forth.
this is very doable.
peggy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Her best 10k time is not as good as mine, but she's currently in better running shape. I think we will try to run it together, but it actually hasn't been discussed.

She's not discussing it because she is planning on beating you.

Now you have your motivation to train...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why oh why do you have to approach this as competitive? Why not just enjoy doing something with the wife. Why not stay with her during the run.
Most folks who try to ramp up the run quickly get hurt and are done.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Help my wife just signed me up for a 10k [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe he's not even fit enough to stay with his wife, period?

I know several other ST'ers in this same situation - and while it's a "happy problem" to have, it's still tough on the male ego.

To the OP - ramp it up slowly, just run a little bit 'every day' (meaning, work up to where you can run 5-6 days a week) - even if many/most of those runs are only 2 or 3 miles a pop.
Throw in some strides and pickups now and again, for a little low-risk 'speed' work, and then just do what you can at the race.
You're not going to win, so just enjoy the day, and depending on how you're feeling, you can decide whether you're out there to complete, or compete.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why not just enjoy doing something with the wife. Why not stay with her during the run.

He has to train so he can stay with her...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I stronly agree with those who say just run a bit every day. intervals on the base you have will lead to injury. Besides, a win means running with her and letting her out-sprint you at the finish. She will need to spend those endorphins in T3, n'est-ce-pas?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think I must have sent the wrong message with prior posts. I'm just trying to get fit enough to enjoy the event. Somebody else asked about my wife's motivation to sign me up, and if we were going to run it together. I didn't mean to imply I had to beat her.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Toothless wrote:
I think I must have sent the wrong message with prior posts. I'm just trying to get fit enough to enjoy the event. Somebody else asked about my wife's motivation to sign me up, and if we were going to run it together. I didn't mean to imply I had to beat her.

In theory, seems you could just walk the event and enjoy it. I pushed my grandkids in a double stroller for open 10K's and all 3 of us enjoy it.

I "run" 5K's with my 6 year old granddaughter, and guess what, every race we have run in the last 2 years, she has beaten me. I have been dead last in the races.
The most enjoyment I have since she is always telling folks she has beaten Pop in all the races we have done together.

So as I said, it is all mental on how you define and measure "enjoyment".

But as others have posted, one does not ask how to get fast in running in a short amount of time. That for most will just lead to injury.
I run 7 days a week. I sure did not start that way. But now I am trying to not get hurt so I keep the running up.
Just use the simple process of frequency, consistency, duration. And you do not see speed in that equation. That is the icing on the cake, after the cake is made.
You need lots of cake first.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Help my wife just signed me up for a 10k [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Help my wife just signed me up for a 10k [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
Why did your wife sign you up. Does she want to do it with you together? If so is she faster than you or slower? No point in beating her time.

Wisdom.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Toothless wrote:
My wife just signed us both up for a 10k in early November, so I have about 3 months to train for it. My running condition is pretty bad due to my current running schedule of somewhere between 0 and 10 miles per week (although I'm doing Trainerroad and mountain biking every week, so I have endurance fitness). Any good ideas for a "12 week Couch to 10k" plan? I tend to get achilles/plantar issues if I ramp up my running too quickly, so I am wary of just grabbing a plan off the internet. And I guess as a side goal I'm looking for a program to keep a more consistent running schedule, for whatever that's worth. Thanks.

Pffftt... you kidding me?!?
My wife just signed me up fo a 70.3 next July and I haven't done a tri- let alone a 70.3 - in 9 falking long years (and 40 lbs ago !) bro...!!! So don't be wasting my time whining about no lil'10 k
:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To keep injury at bay my n=1 experience is frequency is king. If just frequent mornings you get up and first thing you do is a 10 minute (or however long) jog around the block, easy, and do another "actual" workout whenever you've got time that'll very quickly fill the 10mi mileage build, and you benefit from slowly re-strengthening your feet/joints. Even without long runs, just building in the aerobic time initially works wonders. After a 2-3 weeks I'd incorporate 50-60 minute runs weekly

Prev Next