Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help me run faster - n00b alert
Quote | Reply
Hi,
I recently finished my second sprint triathlon, I had a great time!
I had two goals: one was to swim 400m in 8 minutes, and one was to simply pace myself better throughout the race.
Well, I fell short of my swim goal by 1/2 a minute or so, but I did pace myself well and was able to relax and enjoy each part (though going downhill on the bike during a hard rain wasn't that great).
Anyway, looking at the split times, aside from my slow transition times, I see that to compete better (at sprint tris), I need to run faster.
I have only been training for 4 months or so. My pace this weekend was 9:15/mile.
In the context of tri training, what would you recommend for a n00b like me to do to run faster? If I could do this while getting faster on the bike, even better!
Quote Reply
Re: Help me run faster - n00b alert [SpeedNeeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The conventional wisdom of this forum will be to run more, ala BarryP .

If you can run 6 days a week and work up your miles, you will be a much better runner. No doubt.

(now do you have time to run that much? And still do other tri training? I can't answer taht).
Quote Reply
Re: Help me run faster - n00b alert [TunaBoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TunaBoo wrote:

If you can run 6 days a week and work up your miles, you will be a much better runner. No doubt.

(now do you have time to run that much? And still do other tri training? I can't answer taht).

This.

Run. Run lots. Mostly slow, sometimes fast.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Given you are so new to training one could just say stick with it and you will get faster on all fronts. If you want to just improve your run than you should focus that but it sounds like you want to improve all around which means your improvements will be slower but they will still come.

If you want to get into specifics we are going to need a bit more info, What does your current Swim Bike and Run training look like? Any athletic background?
Quote Reply
Re: Help me run faster - n00b alert [SCG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone for the input.
I started reading some of the BarryP stuff and I will incorporate some ideas.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I run 2 or 3 days during the week and then 8 to 13 miles on a weekend. I was in your same boat but I can hold a 7 minute mile for 3 miles now and my last 2 sprint runs were between 730 and 740. What works for me is doing a flat run usually on Monday, 5-6 miles, then a hill run usually on Wednesday, 5-6 miles, where I push myself hard up the hills then concentrate on controlling my breathing on the downhill. Then another 5-6 miles on Thursday or Friday then a distance run on the weekend 8-13 miles at an 8-820 average pace. Running everyday got me injuries because I don't have the self discipline to take it easy on runs. However when i ran the local Marathon I had to just to get into the miles. I always start off easy but don't feel good unless my heart in pounding and I am challenging myself to control my breathing. I am racing IMFL70.3 in April 2015 so my long runs will go out to 15-17 miles. That is what works for me. Hope it helps.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: Help me run faster - n00b alert [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Devlin wrote:
TunaBoo wrote:

This.

Run. Run lots. Mostly slow, sometimes fast.

John

+1.... worked great for me. Knocked 4 minutes off my open 1/2 marathon PR (not even tapered for it and coming off an injury) and took 10 minutes off my 70.3 run PR (1/2 of that is better bike fitness).

If you have weight to lose, drop it. Getting lean makes a big difference running. I almost consider 10% BF for most males to be a good overall compromise to perform well and help avoid injury while still being free to "live" and enjoy food.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Help me run faster - n00b alert [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good stuff on the BarryP threads! I am thankful for everyone's input.

I'm still reading, but as I go I'm trying to formulate a basic training plan.
I don't do many run miles now, only maybe 10/week. So if I was to turn that into a BarryP like plan, my run miles would look something like this?
1-2-1-2-1-3-0

How do you guys combine this with other workouts? Just run right after finishing a swim or a ride? I do all my training on evenings and weekends now. I currently run 2-3 times per week, 3-4 miles at a time, bike 3-4x/week 75 mpw, and swim 3 nights per week an hour each, around 3km/week.
I'm considering reducing my swim to either twice a week, or maybe doing 30 minutes 2x/week and one 60 minute swim.
So if I did all this together, I could look at something like this?
M T W R F S S
1 - 0-1 -0 -1 -0 - 0 Swim
0-15-0-15-0-15-25 Bike
1 - 2-1 -2 -1 -3 - 0 Run

I honestly would feel a little silly running only one mile ;)
From the mcmillan thingy, my easy pace would be 10:30/mile, medium tempo 9:20/mile, and long run 10:30/mile? Would using target heart rates work better? That way I would automatically adjust distance as my run fitness improved?
When the heck do I do my bike intervals??? lol I never feel like running the day after a bike interval, and it probably hinders adaptation when I do? I've been trying to do bike intervals 3x/week, but I imagine I can only do that 1x/week if I start running 5-6 times/week.

Sorry for the long post, thanks to all who take the time to read it!
Last edited by: SpeedNeeder: Aug 19, 14 10:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Run in the morning and bike in the evening?

I havent read the barry P threads in a while but given your weekly mileage is so low, I think you can increase a little bit more. I think barryP method is best when you are at 15MPW?
Quote Reply
Re: Help me run faster - n00b alert [GatorRacer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The most important thing is just to start getting in the miles. Your efficiency will improve over time and speed will follow. I was a natural sprinter and had a hard time holding any fast pace over distance when I started tris 6 or so years ago. I eventually did a marathon (bucket list) and it helped my short runs (5k, 10k) more than any amount of interval work. I basically went from 24 minute 5k splits to 21 minute splits the year after the marathon and being able to run more distance.

Mix distance and pace, but the main thing is just get the miles in.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me run faster - n00b alert [GatorRacer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your suggestion.
I plan to do a week like above and see how I feel. I may add distance over time.
Last night I did 40 min on the bike and then a 20 min run right after.
Spending an hour during the week working out is a lot, since I really only have 4 hours between when I get home from work and when I get ready for bed. I have a wife and 2 kids I like to hang out with too.
Quote Reply