Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help me pick the right wheelset for this weekends road race!
Quote | Reply
I'm racing in a very hilly 160km road race this weekend. My HED Stinger 4 tubular wheels recently flatted and I don't have time to reglue a new tire!

My two options at this point are Pacenti SL23 alloy wheels ~1500grams or heavier Reynolds Aero 58 front / 72 rear.

My initial thoughts are go with the Reynolds despite the big weight penalty. Thoughts?

Last edited by: TeJa: May 22, 15 11:17
Quote Reply
Re: Help me pick the right wheelset for this weekends road race! [TeJa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TeJa wrote:
I'm racing in a very hilly 160km road race this weekend. My HED Stinger 4 tubular wheels recently flatted and I don't have time to reglue a new tire!

My two options at this point are Pacenti SL23 alloy wheels ~1500grams or heavier Reynolds Aero 58 front / 72 rear.

My initial thoughts are go with the Reynolds despite the big weight penalty. Thoughts?

You should really give us a race name or GPX file. The SL23 look very close to a box rim, there's no way I'd ever ride that wheel. Assuming the descents aren't super technical, there's no reason to not use the aero wheels.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me pick the right wheelset for this weekends road race! [TeJa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just eyeballing the profile, it looks like the steepest sustained climbing is

7.5 km gaining 225 meters = 3% avg (roughly between the 12 and 20 km mark)

4 km gaining 150 meters = 3.75% avg (roughly between the 48 and 52 km mark)

3 km gaining 125 meters = 4.16%% avg (roughly between the 58 and 62 km mark)

If you think you might end up on your own, or in a small group, I say use the race wheels. Those climbs are not that steep to where weight will play a huge factor and you'll save energy on the rolling sections (like 20 to 35 km) and all the downhills.

If you think that this race will allow you to sit in a decent size peloton where you can hide from the wind all the way up to the last climb, and you expect the fireworks to happen there...then I would use the lightest wheelset you can find.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me pick the right wheelset for this weekends road race! [aravilare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aravilare wrote:
The SL23 look very close to a box rim, there's no way I'd ever ride that wheel.

The Pacenti SL23 tests very close to the Kinlin 279 in aerodynamics.

http://www.novemberbicycles.com/...unnel-semi-aero.html
Last edited by: rijndael: May 22, 15 11:49
Quote Reply
Re: Help me pick the right wheelset for this weekends road race! [rijndael] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Pacenti SL23 tests very close to the Kinlin 279 in aerodynamics.

Which means quite good for an aluminum rim.

But I'd pick the Reynolds baring some unknown technical reason.

Quote Reply
Re: Help me pick the right wheelset for this weekends road race! [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are some 7-11% parts in those climbs where things really kick up....also the finish line sprint is at the top of short and steep ~400 meter climb....it hits 16% at one point which is why i'm also thinking the Pacentis might be the better bet.
Last edited by: TeJa: May 22, 15 12:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TeJa wrote:
There are some 7-11% parts in those climbs where things really kick up....also the finish line sprint is at the top of short and steep ~400 meter climb....it hits 16% at one point which is why i'm also thinking the Pacentis might be the better bet.

That 300g is .39% of your total weight.

Also, bigger thing is to make sure you have the best tires you can get by this weekend.
Last edited by: aravilare: May 22, 15 13:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the finish line sprint is at the top of short and steep ~400 meter climb....it hits 16% at one point which is why i'm also thinking the Pacentis might be the better bet.

If you feel better on them for that sort of effort, then by all means.

Quote Reply