Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help me pick a swim goal
Quote | Reply
I bought an awesome budgie-smuggler from Roka, but I want to set a swim goal that I have to jot before I'll actually wear it.

Did that once a few years ago and found it highly motivating. That time the goal was breaking 1:10 for 100 scy from a push.

Haven't done a 500 for time recently. Previously I got into the 6:50s. Yesterday I did 15x100 on :15 rest. Most were 1:25 on the 1:40. I also did 100 in 1:14 earlier this week. Focusing on 70.3 this year so not as many max 100s recently.

Focusing on short-course next year. Any thoughts on a goal? I want it to be results driven, not process driven. I also want it to be measurable, so 25scy from a push is easiest.

1:05 100? 6:40 500? Totally arbitrary so whatever floats my boat?

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Help me pick a swim goal [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know you mention short course, but 1650's, though painful, have always been my benchmark. Go ahead and don the Budgie, gotta test out that race uni!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sub 2:20 200 SCY.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go to USMS website, look at Top 10 times nationally for your age group & plan accordingly. Look at results from both their short course and long course nationals from this year and plan accordingly.

#swimmingmatters
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.
The Doctor (#12)

Quote Reply
Re: Help me pick a swim goal [DavidK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like it! Never done a 200 goal. 2:20 might be a bit fast, but that is a possibility.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:
I bought an awesome budgie-smuggler from Roka, but I want to set a swim goal that I have to jot before I'll actually wear it.

Did that once a few years ago and found it highly motivating. That time the goal was breaking 1:10 for 100 scy from a push.

Haven't done a 500 for time recently. Previously I got into the 6:50s. Yesterday I did 15x100 on :15 rest. Most were 1:25 on the 1:40. I also did 100 in 1:14 earlier this week. Focusing on 70.3 this year so not as many max 100s recently.

Focusing on short-course next year. Any thoughts on a goal? I want it to be results driven, not process driven. I also want it to be measurable, so 25scy from a push is easiest.

I could give you a training path that would probably get you to a 1:05 (or better) 100 in 6-8 weeks, but it wouldn't likely do much to help you improve your swim leg on a Sprint or Oly triathlon. I would recommend a goal that aligns with your plan to go short course racing next year, so maybe a 1000 @ 13:39 or a 1650 at 22:59.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hit 2:40 from the wall last winter and my goal as summer ends and I re-enter the world of masters swimming is to go 2:30 this winter and to learn to flip turn.

For sure, going 2:20 based on your prior 100 (1:10) and 500 (6:50) will be very challenging. So, I now suggest your goal be to go sub 2:20 from the blocks.

Good luck.

David K
Quote Reply
Re: Help me pick a swim goal [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Many thanks - I did wonder how much the short stuff translated. 100s are fun, and I love that burn, bit it seems like something longer or a set of repeats (10x100 on 1:25 or something) would mean more.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:
Many thanks - I did wonder how much the short stuff translated. 100s are fun, and I love that burn, bit it seems like something longer or a set of repeats (10x100 on 1:25 or something) would mean more.

My prescription for a fast 100 would be lots of 25's on 15-20 seconds rest. Without getting into the details (if you want to go down a rabbit hole, start researching "USRPT"), say 16-30 a set. If you want to get fast in the 1500/1650/mile, you should do sets more like 25-30 x 100, 16-20 x 150, 12-15 x 200, 20 seconds rest. The idea is to use the rest to hold "mile race pace" for well over a mile.

There's nothing saying you can't throw in some sprint work here and there if you like it. It won't hurt your short course triathlon swimming, as long as you do your distance work, too.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Aug 17, 17 14:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sub 30 for 50 fly....

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Help me pick a swim goal [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can see you have something against me wearing a budgie smuggler...

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
just trying to save you from yourself. roka speedos aren't THAT awesome.

Funky trunks, on the other hand, are that awesome...

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:

You have some good suggestions. Here's mine...

doing tests can actually be good training, if for no other reason that it "re-sets" in your mind what IS doable.
Different distances test different energy systems. Shorter distances help longer ones but, they are different.

I like 100, 150, 300, 400, 500, 1,000 1,650 - I also like (well, I'm not really sure I like, but) to do a 2,000 in an aggressive but even pace.

Keep in mind, what ever distances you choose it will take a few attempts to get a accurate "best effort" time.

It sounds cliché' but, Enjoy the journey

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:

Maybe even something different. A few yrs ago in the offseason I did a 10k pool swim (5x2k in a lcm pool for sanity sake). I only stopped briefly after each 2k for nutrition.

Even though swimming that distance in one day in college would have been relatively routine, at 40 yo it was pretty brutal but a sense of accomplishment. Hard swims like that make 70.3 or 140.6 swims much less mentally taxing. I would never do this on a regular basis but maybe a different type of goal.
Quote Reply