Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help me optimize my GF’s UCI legs TT bike. Current topic: the cockpit.
Quote | Reply
Looking for help picking out a different/“better” UCI legal bits for my significant other’s TT bike. She is racing with a Women’s UCI team but she is on her own for the TT equipment, other than the FFWD race wheels.

Her current set up is a 2013 Felt DAC, with a Tririg OmegaX front brake, stock Felt rear, Profile Design Svet Carbon basebar, Zipp Vuka Alumina clop - top, Zipp Vuka Alumina Evo (70mm) extensions, TRP brake lever, Shimano 6870 Di2 (9000 cranks), and Speedplay Aero Zeros. Her position is pretty good but has a date at Cyclogic for further refinement.

In no particular order, the bits of the bike that I eventually want to work on are:
A new cockpit, shorter cranks (currently on 172.5), PM for the TT bike, aero bottle, “snake oil” pulleys, waxed chain, a functioning rear brake that works with the frame (maybe a second Tririg?) and who knows what else should be on here.

Thanks!

Edit: Was having issues posting the photos from my phone but this is from us rolling down Beeline. On race day she's restricted to FFWD wheels, Clement tires (ugh) and Vie 13 team clothing but has a choice between her Poc Cerebel or one of the new Oakley helmets.

When she isn't on the lookout for road debris or she's racing, her head is much lower. Not turtling but low-er. After being hit by a car on the TT bike about 1.5 years ago shes had to try to find her mojo again.

Last edited by: Ohio_Roadie: Jan 27, 18 21:53
Quote Reply
Re: Help me optimize my GF’s UCI legs TT bike. Current topic: the cockpit. [Ohio_Roadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think there is another rear brake that will fit using the mounts already on the bike, tri rig will not work. Unless you fabricate some sort of adapter you are stuck with that rear brake.

But have you seen this thread:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/?post=4884412
That thread got my rear brake working much better. I think it is your only option.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me optimize my GF’s UCI legs TT bike. Current topic: the cockpit. [Ohio_Roadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
without seeing it, sounds like a pretty slick setup.

Quickest UCI legal bars are most likely the USE offerings (Tula/R1)

As above, rear brake you're pretty much stuck with without hacking it up.

Fast(est) tyres are probably the best thing she can buy to go faster. (Excluding obvious stuff like the best position)

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hate to refer you back to boring stock things, but the Felt Bayonet aero bar is supposedly super good, and UCI legal. But I have a HED Corsair on my DA, and that's great too. Also for the aero bottle, the stock Torhans is pretty good.

I'm always suprised (but shouldn't be) how little team support some of these pro women get. Two years ago I was helping a UCI-team woman who at the time was in contention for national team selection (she got the USA kit) piece together a TT bike for Tour of the Gila. I was literally calling up people, "Hey got some TT bars lying around?"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 IThe the new TriRig is UCI legal. That would be slick and easily adjustable. Maybe Nick would do a favor for a pro to get some exposure.

Tires are a great suggestion. A set of TLRs would be a huge advantage over a Maxis or other turd sponsor tire. Next would be a helmet that works well. Size down on the skinsuit or get a decent skinsuit like the Castelli BP depending on support level.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me optimize my GF’s UCI legs TT bike. Current topic: the cockpit. [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
IThe the new TriRig is UCI legal. That would be slick and easily adjustable. Maybe Nick would do a favor for a pro to get some exposure.

Tires are a great suggestion. A set of TLRs would be a huge advantage over a Maxis or other turd sponsor tire. Next would be a helmet that works well. Size down on the skinsuit or get a decent skinsuit like the Castelli BP depending on support level.

That Tri-rig bar can't be used on the Felt DA. The DA does not have a normal steerer tube to attach to, it has the the bayonet fork that the "stem" bolts to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Premier bike has a set of oversized pullies and a waxed chain that is probably both quite good but cheaper than almost anything else on the market.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me optimize my GF’s UCI legs TT bike. Current topic: the cockpit. [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:

I was looking at the new TriRig bar but shipping appears to be April if I remember seeing correctly?

I would love to have her on some faster tires but she's stuck on FFWD and Clement tubies. She currently has the Poc Cerebel but has the option of Oakley's new offering as they are technically a team sponsor. They are a UCI squad so team kit is a requirement, in this case Vie 13 is it and I think she has the xxs skinsuit which needs some hemming on the arms and to shorten the torso.

Are you still in AZ? I've recently taken up a new job in Phoenix so I'll be around.

trail wrote:
I hate to refer you back to boring stock things, but the Felt Bayonet aero bar is supposedly super good, and UCI legal. But I have a HED Corsair on my DA, and that's great too. Also for the aero bottle, the stock Torhans is pretty good.

I'm always suprised (but shouldn't be) how little team support some of these pro women get. Two years ago I was helping a UCI-team woman who at the time was in contention for national team selection (she got the USA kit) piece together a TT bike for Tour of the Gila. I was literally calling up people, "Hey got some TT bars lying around?"

Let's just say that most American "pro" UCI teams on the men's and woman's sides are scrapping by and the riders are willing to put up with anything because it is either that or to back out of the sport. I've seen quite a few pros, including myself a few years ago, asking, begging, hoping that any sort of constructive assistance would come in with the next tail wind.

As far as the bottle goes, I think the Torhans is illegal. I was thinking either the Elite Crono CX or Arundel Chrono 2.

chaparral wrote:
I don't think there is another rear brake that will fit using the mounts already on the bike, tri rig will not work. Unless you fabricate some sort of adapter you are stuck with that rear brake.

But have you seen this thread:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/?post=4884412
That thread got my rear brake working much better. I think it is your only option.

Thanks. I think I'll try to get the stock brake going. Wish me luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It looks like she is sitting too far back on the saddle and needs a much longer stem.

How tall is she?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3T aero levers (levers stick out in clean air, so they have an outsized impact)

+1 on the ability for her to get a lot more aero. That position looks more like a triathlon AG than an elite cyclist (who has the added bebefit of not having to run afterwords).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some good suggestions on here, so I expand on some of them.
- Tula is faster than the R1. Other great UCI legal options are the PRO Missile Evo, ENVE SES, HED Corsair, and Felt Bayonet 3/KCNC clone.
- Elite Crono is much better than the Arundel. Not only is it faster, but it won't eject at the tiniest bump.
- Pulleys should be last on the list. A proper waxed chain is a good call though (DA>KMC).
- The 3T brake levers shown are one of the most aero options for traditional bars, however they do not have a return spring so purchase accordingly.

How tall is she as her position looks super compact, even for UCI regs. If there's room, she should stretch out.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me optimize my GF’s UCI legs TT bike. Current topic: the cockpit. [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What he said.

That position is very compact. Eyeball wind tunnel is flawed, but arm pads and extensions could come forward a good bit. A little tilt up (within rules) is worth trying too. Allow a good two weeks for adaptation.

The pad width looks good from a practical aero point of view. Going narrower is more aero but takes real effort for some. Female riders offen have more difficulty with it.

Developing aero, fit and other fun stuff at Red is Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Help me optimize my GF’s UCI legs TT bike. Current topic: the cockpit. [SkippyKitten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OP has mentioned his girlfriend is stuck on clement tubies- is there a possibility of riding de-badged tubies from another brand?

The clement strada LGG (I'm assuming shes using these cos these are clement's highest end) is horrible- its tested near the bottom and she's giving up 5-6 watts per tyre versus all rounders like the gp4k. Thats a ten watt loss right there.

Maybe she isn't going to be able to run something like a gp ss or corsa g+ (too obvious) but even running something like the corsa elite (same tread pattern) would be better than the clement. Use a marker to black out any logos and I'm not sure anyone would be looking too closely?

I've known several uci conti racers and across the board tt equipment support has always sucked. Many were not afraid to provide their own (even at the risk of pissing off sponsors) - think blacked out specialized shiv frames, de badged wheels- those that were serious about their cycling careers at least.
Obviously if changing tyres means a change of 40th to 30th place then there isnt really a point, but if its a differencd of say 10th place to top 5 I would chance it. Management isnt going to kick up a fuss at the expense of better results if it's kept on the down low.

The other equipment- ffwd wheels arent horrible- not the best but certainly no dogs, so I wouldnt worry too much about them.

For bars- the zipp alumina clip on with evos is a good starting point but I wouldn't do too much until she's gone to get the position dialled in. She'll need some degree of adjustability so the alumina clip on with a good base bar is a good choice to stick with for now. Pro missile alloy or the profile design aeria alloy would be good choices IMO- good performance for low cost and can probably get something fancier later once the position is confirmed.

Helmet- depending on position I'd go with the oakley. Jim manton has said initial results are good. Cerebel only really works for some positions.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me optimize my GF’s UCI legs TT bike. Current topic: the cockpit. [davidalone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good shout on the tubs.

As far as the Cerebral is concerned, it tested very fast for me and a couple teammates (one even uses it for track endurance events). Considering Jim has a penchant for hyperbole *ahem*Aerohead*ahem*, I'd opt for the POC over the Oakley (or just Aerolab it to be sure).
Quote Reply