Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help me get my run back...
Quote | Reply
So I have spent the past year dealing with lower leg injuries(calf, Achilles) which have severly limited my running. So much so that a small group I got together lasted only 2 weeks because I got hurt the first week and another person got hurt the second.

Essentially, the story is this: I have been off of running by PT orders since early January when I reinjured my achilles. Orthotics were ordered, and I finally received them last week. I went out to try a quick 3K run without pushing things on Sunday. Going slow, I made it about nearly about 1K before walking a bit, and splitting about 65-35 run/walk for another 1.5K. Last night, I managed to cover off the 3.2K loop, making it a little longer running before walking, but a lot less walking overall. I would say 70-30 run, and it felt a bit better. The problems the orthotics are solving seem to be fine, it's just the legs feel weak and the aerobic capacity isn't there.

Here is the upcoming schedule: a 5K race on April 6, an 8K on April 28, building up to a Half IM on july 8. The 5k in particular I would not be running with a time goal in mind. Frankly, the goal would be to run it without stopping, and anything else is gravy.

A few questions: 1)Everyone tells me take it easy and not to push too fast. Should I take an every-other-day approach for a time? 2)Should I use the HRM to manage pace, or just try to stay nice and slow and just run? 3)Should I make the run a focus for the next little while(ie, run a bunch of 5K runs, etc) and cut back on the other events?

Thanks for any help.

"I can endure more pain than anyone you've ever met. That's why I can beat anyone I've ever met." Steve Prefontaine, Without Limits
Quote Reply
Re: Help me get my run back... [Bluefan75] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After my achilles injury I did some time on the stepper at very high cadence, tiny steps, in running posture after a warm up on a exercycle or other.
I tried Chi running, and the light stepping, high cadence really helped. After getting the mileage up, I started doing Ken Mierke's technique on some of the shorter runs, intermittently through the run.
If you aren't doing eccentric exercises, I found them very helpful. When my achilles starts talking to me, I go back to them. Why I ever stop is beyond me.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me get my run back... [docfuel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've heard about the Chi running. I may look into that. A tempo trainer will probably be good as well.

The eccentric exercises have been suggested by PT a couple of times. I just need to do them a little more regularly....:-)

"I can endure more pain than anyone you've ever met. That's why I can beat anyone I've ever met." Steve Prefontaine, Without Limits
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think chi is really good for stressing light quick steps and good posture.
I got a metroGnome from American Music something. $20 including shipping. It's tiny and cliips to your ear. I wrapped it in a little piece of saran wrap to decrease the noise and because someone here on ST said the sweat affected theirs. You can set different rates and beat patterns. Warning: it's easy to lose. And, it only adjusts in 8bpm increments. I use 184 and the high-low beat (beep-boop-beep-boop-....)

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After a few months of tweaking my running form/cadence etc. and feeling slow and miserable. I kept blaming fitness, but really the problem was that I wasn't just running anymore, I was contorting my run form to what I read is the "most efficient" or "faster". ST is all about reading this book and using that cadence or form, but really go watch the IM Hawaii from '89 and watch Dave Scott (I think) run and you will see it isn't necessarily about the form, assuming that you aren't competing head to head for Kona (he did lose). He runs like he has wooden legs.
Just run with your HR monitor (to make sure you aren't pushing too hard, it will come back but not if you aren't recovering), keep very good records and ease into your distance, the old "no more than ~10% volume increase per week"(depending on the individual). A lot of people will disagree with me, however, everyone is different. A one day rest between run days is a good idea, or at least a couple rest days a week (two on, one off). I can't say how the 5k's will help your fitness but can't imagine they would do more than a focused training plan, unless of course you need them to keep you focused.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me get my run back... [ClimbandCycle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What he said.

You are letting your schedule influence your recovery. With this injury, always EASE your way back into it.

Quote | Reply
I have found the following brick workout to be helpful for improving my run and hopefully it can do the same for you.

First, you need take said brick and go to a very busy part of your town's commercial district. If you are properly prepared you will be well-hydrated, wearing your running shoes, and will have already stretched. A face mask of somekind may be helpful for your workout recovery.

Then apply your face mask, locate a conviniently located and occupied police car and hurl your brick into the windshield.

I assure you this brick workout will be the best running workout of your life.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me get my run back... [ClimbandCycle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well the 5k is part of a race series. I'm really looking at the first one only for a finish, and to set a baseline. Plus, if you complete all 6 races you are in a draw for a trip to Vegas. If I end up having to walk I walk. I'm not planning on pushing it. But yeah, getting out and running is the big thing for me as well. Plus, I figure a couple pounds dropped will help things immensely as well.

Quote Reply