Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help me figure out which cassette(s)
Quote | Reply
I have 11-28, 12-25, and 11-32 cassettes.
Chainrings are 53-39
My "happy cadence" is 95ish, but I can tolerate 85-105 pretty well. Don't like to grind below 85 if I can help it.

I am more in the "participant" category than "competitor." My FTP is about 230ish, hopefully better by race day. Its the power/weight ratio that really gets me - right now I'm 229 lbs and my watts/kg is just under two. I'm on a good trend here, lost 40ish lbs since last Summer and 6 lbs since Thanksgiving. So I anticipate my watts/kg being better by Summer tri season, too, but still fairly modest. When I go on a long ride (2+ hours) at an endurance pace, Garmin says average speed about 18-19ish; that would be better on a closed course with no stoplights/traffic/etc but sill far from elite speeds.

My main events this year are Ironman Costa Rica and Ironman Muncie (both 70.3).

I live in Central Indiana. There are a couple of hills around here that are both long and steep enough to get me into the 25t 39t combo.
Muncie is actually a good deal flatter than where I live, so I'm pretty sure I'd be OK with the 12-25 there - maybe even tempted to get a 11-23.
http://www.ironman.com/~/media/789c657222404aecbe1a35d90ffa1bf5/im703muncie%20bike%20elevation%20tbt%202016.pdf
The elevation map for Muncie is a .pdf, not an image. Link above should work.

I am not clever interpreting the elevation maps, but looking at the Costa Rica course it has a max variation of 120 ish meters compared to 40 ish for Muncie.
The hills at the very beginning and very end look kind of "spiky" to this elevation-map-illiterate middle-aged-triathlete.

There are two loops of this course.
Does it look like the 11-28 would be "granny" enough for me for this course?
Reluctant to get into the 11-32 because (a) that much bigger jumps between gears for the rest of the course, and (b) have to change the RD to medium cage and other hassles (guess I could try one of those derailleur hanger extender things).
Last edited by: alathIN: Jan 26, 17 13:14
Quote Reply
Re: Help me figure out which cassette(s) [alathIN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What matters is the grade, that first spike looks about 120 meters of elevation over about 2km. That's an average grade of 6%. I'm sure there will be sections steeper. Why not just go with the 11-32? Sure the gaps between cogs will be large but it's better to have that big ol' granny and no need it than to need it and not have it.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me figure out which cassette(s) [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Using mass of 115kg for rider plus bike, he'll go ~12kph up a 6% climb at 250W (realistic given the duration of the climb). 39x32 just about lets him do 80rpm. 39x28 would be closer to 70rpm.

For the OP, is a 50x34 crankset an option?
Quote Reply
Re: Help me figure out which cassette(s) [vjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

When I saw his size and standard cranks I was all "like, WTF"? Then I saw where he lives and I was, like, "Oh, okaaay."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vjohn wrote:
Using mass of 115kg for rider plus bike, he'll go ~12kph up a 6% climb at 250W (realistic given the duration of the climb). 39x32 just about lets him do 80rpm. 39x28 would be closer to 70rpm.

~ ish.
I'm a bit addicted to my power meter and it's 130 bcd.
I have a pair of FSA chainrings that are 50 - 38 130bcd; not sure these are really intended to go together but could try them. Didn't come as a pair - they're odds and ends. Not sure the 38 makes a huge difference over 39 though.
Just to add a bit more hassle factor, my Red/Quarq is the notorious "hidden bolt" design so a bit of a pain to switch out chainrings.
Last edited by: alathIN: Jan 26, 17 14:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
alathIN wrote:
vjohn wrote:

~ ish.
I'm a bit addicted to my power meter and it's 130 bcd.
I have a pair of FSA chainrings that are 50 - 38 130bcd; not sure these are really intended to go together but could try them. Didn't come as a pair - they're odds and ends. Not sure the 38 makes a huge difference over 39 though.
Just to add a bit more hassle factor, my Red/Quarq is the notorious "hidden bolt" design so a bit of a pain to switch out chainrings.
I wouldn't bother changing the rings just to get from 39 to 38. It would be worth it for 36 or 34.
You didn't say what groupset you're using. Have you a 9, 10 or 11 speed group?
If it's 9, I'd avoid the 32 unless I really needed it, but would still rather have the gear I needed than suffer up the hill and have smaller gaps. On the other hand the hills are not long and you can probably manage a lower RPM of 60-70 for the steeper bits without too much discomfort. If you have an 10 or 11, you may as well go with the 32 if it's not too inconvenient. I think you'd manage with 28.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me figure out which cassette(s) [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a 10 speed Rival group set.
I've got the 11-32 cassette and the mid cage RD - both on my wife's bike - also Rival 10spd - at the moment but she doesn't need the 32 either except when we vacay in Michigan dune land. So it's just the hassle factor of trading for this one race.
I think the mid-to-smaller cogs are pretty similar on the 11-28 and 11-32, you don't get the huge jumps until you get into the big cogs.
So I'm getting the idea this trade will be worth the hassle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vjohn wrote:

Update - just wanted to let you know this was very helpful.

I got on the trainer and fooled around with intervals at 250W 70rpm, 250@80rpm, etc.
One bit of good news, I think it is time to retest my ftp because it was really easy to hold 250 watts - 270 was do-able if I was at 80 rpm.
Definitely easier (for me anyway) to do this at the higher rpm.

So 11-32 it is.
Your numbers here helped me get an idea of what this was going to feel like. I feel confident that the 32t is the right call (most people here were saying that anyway) and also feel like I do not have to be intimidated by these climbs, I know I can get to the top of them at this speed without burning out.

How did you calculate these? I am guessing there is an app....

Anyway, thanks - very helpful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
alathIN wrote:
vjohn wrote:

Update - just wanted to let you know this was very helpful.

I got on the trainer and fooled around with intervals at 250W 70rpm, 250@80rpm, etc.
One bit of good news, I think it is time to retest my ftp because it was really easy to hold 250 watts - 270 was do-able if I was at 80 rpm.
Definitely easier (for me anyway) to do this at the higher rpm.

So 11-32 it is.
Your numbers here helped me get an idea of what this was going to feel like. I feel confident that the 32t is the right call (most people here were saying that anyway) and also feel like I do not have to be intimidated by these climbs, I know I can get to the top of them at this speed without burning out.

How did you calculate these? I am guessing there is an app....

Anyway, thanks - very helpful.

I'm glad it was helpful!

First, I used Tom Compton's excellent http://analyticcycling.com to determine your speed on the climb, given the power you had talked about and the masses you'd provided. Then I used Sheldon Brown's (RIP) gear calculator at http://sheldonbrown.com/gear-calc.html to determine what gearing would enable you to maintain a reasonable cadence.

There may well be a more convenient app for this, but this is how I've done it for 10+ years.
Last edited by: vjohn: Feb 8, 17 13:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bring a couple if not all of your cassettes. Drive or better yet ride any substantial climbs before race day and choose your cassette accordingly. Keep in mind that the gear that you're "fine to ride up a climb" is not necessarily the gear you'll want to race up in. In general you'll want a smaller gear to race up a hill than you'd think you need by riding that hill while out cruising around.

Never, ever, ever, ever pick your gearing sight unseen and then travel to that race without other options in your gear bag. Unless you want to pay top dollar at the race expo to buy something that you already have at home that is...

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Quote Reply