Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help me diagnose this problem I have when my mileage gets over 10 miles(long run)
Quote | Reply
M48, 220lbs. I'm training for my first marathon in May. On my last two long runs last week 14 miles and this week 15 miles, at around the 10 mile mark my lower back starts getting tighter and I get a dull ache on the front of where my quads connect to my hips in front and on the outside of my knees. It feels like my legs are losing power and my stride turns into more of a shuffle and I lose any 'snap' that my legs have.

The first longer run I ran in Clifton 2's which felt like I was bottoming out the sole so I switched to my Bondi4's which seemed to help a little bit. Ive ordered a pair of Vanquish 2's to try as well.

Is this just due to my age? weight? shoe? Increased mileage too fast? I'm following Hal Higdon novice 2 marathon plan.

Ive ran several half marathons over the years and challenged myself this year on a full marathon but am beginning to wonder if my body can handle it.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me diagnose this problem I have when my mileage gets over 10 miles(long run) [1xatbandcamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, so when you run long you get tired. Even if you are better trained most people get tired at 20 miles or so in to a marathon. Being 220 lbs is not helping. Running long distances at that weight is going to hurt at some point.

Quote Reply
Re: Help me diagnose this problem I have when my mileage gets over 10 miles(long run) [1xatbandcamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ideally your long run is not going to be more than about 25% of your weekly milage; 30% worst case. If your long run exceeds that, expect it to hurt more, and you'll be slowing down in the process. If this is a plan that is designed around finishing, and not racing, you might just be hitting the limits of what you can do based on low volume.

The lower back pain may be a result of age and weight. Or, you may be able to help yourself by running more erect. Bending forward at the waist puts more stress on the back. The pain high on the leg sounds like tired hip flexors; not unusual when building volume. The pain near the knee may be IT band syndrome; look it up. (Not enough details to really know more.) But IT band syndrome is another common issue when building volume.

I'm 6'0" and weight 152lbs. When I weight 160lbs, the extra weight is very noticeable when running. I cannot imagine adding another 60lbs to that. I admire your desire, but if it were me, I'd be trying to lose weight prior to worrying about the speed. So keep the volume, even increase it, but lower pace and try to just burn more calories. When I need to lose weight, I go out for my long runs/rides, having just coffee for breakfast and no calories during the workout. I don't worry about speed, just going as far as I can. That alone, on the weekends, and I can lose 1-2 pounds/week.

2015 USAT Long Course National Champion (M50-54)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it's just a lack of fitness and miles. Once you get used to running more miles per week, and also accumulate lots of runs over 90 minutes long, this will get better. I had the same thing happen training for my first few marathons. Getting under 200lbs will help significantly; Running more helps with this too!
Quote Reply
Re: Help me diagnose this problem I have when my mileage gets over 10 miles(long run) [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I started my Ironman journey at 221 lbs and now am down to 170, but during the initial "getting back in shape" period I learned to keep my heart rate low for the entire run and not focus as much on the pace. The longer you stay running with an elevated heart rate the harder it becomes as the length increases. As others have mentioned this is just a lack of fitness and the extra weight. It could also be your diet, maybe lack of good carbs or your body not utilizing fat for fuel as efficiently. For me I ran too hard in the beginning as I was focused on pace too much. As I backed it down a bit my fitness gains improved and I was able to run a faster pace at the same heart rate. For me at 33 years old that heart rate was 145 max. I could maintain that without any issues. As well, any long run should be difficult and challenge you, but you want to finish strong and adapt.

I'd focus primarily on cleaning up the diet and drop some weight the right way and keep that heart rate low for the long runs and over time you'll be set.

Good luck!
Last edited by: mbecks2: Mar 7, 16 9:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm no expert but that sounds like a lack of core strength to me. As you fatigue, your posture will disimprove. What you describe sounds to me like perhaps your pelvis is shifting as your core gets tired and that changes the alignment of your back and hips. I used to have some back and hip problems running which have improved dramatically after doing some work on general flexibility and core strength. I never get back pain anymore and hip pain is rare.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is your nutrition like before and during the runs? Are you hydrating properly? Bringing a gel with you?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hate to say it, but the weight is not helping.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting ideas thanks. As I review the plan I'm on the Hal Higdon novice 2, my long run is 50% of the total weeks volume. This definitely could be causing issues. Yes I am heavier than normal now but I'm 6'4" and not built like a triathlete to begin with. Realistically I could get to 205 maybe 200. I'm sure this would make a huge difference. I'll add some core and flexibility work of which I am doing none at the moment.

Before my runs I usually do a half peanut butter sandwich with honey and I bring a Coke to sip on after my midway point. Im running at around 9:30 pace so I don't feel like I'm getting tired per se but it feels more back and hip related to the fatigue. I'll throw on my heart rate strap next long run and see where I'm at there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think it's a weight issue. Losing a few pounds will make running easier but you have pretty basic aches and pains for your age. Bending forward is common when you get tired. When I run into a strong headwind I get a sore back. The inner groin pain is normal on long runs. I get that in the early season and that goes away as my mileage and strength go up. The IT pain if not severe can be remedied with a foam roller and can be used to stretch the back as well. Almost everyone could use core stabilization but if you aren't already doing so you might add some easy windsprints and other form running drills. I do them after my run on a nice level, grass site. Start slow jog, build up to about 80% full speed, hold for 20-30 yards and then gradually slow down. First 2-3 kinda suck but once you get used to them kicking out 6-10 isn't that hard and that really helps me with the inner thigh pain I get on longer runs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just to chime in here with my $0.02, I've had lower back pain that can resurface after a really long run. Like others have said, after running for like 2+ hours your back's going to hurt if it's not strong enough. I've incorporated planks, especially reverse planks, into my routine. The reverse plank is where you lie on your back in front of a standard weight room bench, put your heels up on it, and plank. I hold for 2-3 minutes, which really works the lower back. You just have to be careful that you're strong enough to do this without pain! Good luck on your first marathon!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am 44 and i did my first full marathon last year using Hal Higdon's Novice 2.

I am also quite a bit heavier than you (250# at 6'3"), like has been alluded to... the extra weight is not doing us any favor.

I think the biggest problem with that plan (and a lot of other ones) is that there isn't any focus on strengthening core (knees to nipples).

I've been adding a dynamic warm up and run specific strengthening after each workout. It feels like i am getting stronger and hopefully less injury prone (i just hope the lighter and faster are coming).

I do the same thing as them, just slower
Quote Reply
Re: Help me diagnose this problem I have when my mileage gets over 10 miles(long run) [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
I'm no expert but that sounds like a lack of core strength to me. As you fatigue, your posture will disimprove. What you describe sounds to me like perhaps your pelvis is shifting as your core gets tired and that changes the alignment of your back and hips. I used to have some back and hip problems running which have improved dramatically after doing some work on general flexibility and core strength. I never get back pain anymore and hip pain is rare.

I second this assessment. This is almost certainly a core strength issue. Granted, carrying extra pounds doesn't help, but it further exacerbates the core strength issue. I'd say start working on things like crunches, planks (both front and side), twists, and other such core exercises. Keep in mind that we are all essentially apes who learned to balance on our hind legs. The core strength is what makes this possible. We neglect it at our peril.
Last edited by: RJSuperfreaky: Mar 7, 16 13:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1xatbandcamp wrote:
Interesting ideas thanks. As I review the plan I'm on the Hal Higdon novice 2, my long run is 50% of the total weeks volume. This definitely could be causing issues. Yes I am heavier than normal now but I'm 6'4" and not built like a triathlete to begin with. Realistically I could get to 205 maybe 200. I'm sure this would make a huge difference. I'll add some core and flexibility work of which I am doing none at the moment.

Before my runs I usually do a half peanut butter sandwich with honey and I bring a Coke to sip on after my midway point. Im running at around 9:30 pace so I don't feel like I'm getting tired per se but it feels more back and hip related to the fatigue. I'll throw on my heart rate strap next long run and see where I'm at there.

Wow, 50% of your weekly volume in 1 long run...I'm no runner, just a bike racer, but I couldn't imagine my weekly long ride being 125 miles :)

"not built like a triathlete" just means that you haven't spent enough of your life swimming, biking, and running. A skinny person who hasn't trained much isn't very fast either. At 6'4" there isn't any reason why you couldn't comfortably be 180-190, probably lower, as long as you aren't benching 400lbs twice a week.

-Physiojoe
Instagram: @thephysiojoe
Cycling coach, Elite racer on Wooster Bikewerks p/b Wootown Bagels
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you're doing too much either volume or intensity
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am your size and a good deal older. Didn't even do a trip or run until age 54. My suggestions - run in as much padding as you can - Bondi level of padding. Next your long run should be no more than 30% of your weekly distance. I run 6 days a week and am averaging 36-40 miles a week. I always take the day off after a long run. Probably due to my age of 61, recovery seems harder the older you get. My 5k time is around 23:30. My training pace for long runs is about 10:15 to 10:30. In other words I run easy unless I am running hard, nothing in between. This is what works for me.

http://bigmikega.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Re: Help me diagnose this problem I have when my mileage gets over 10 miles(long run) [BigMikeGA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigMikeGA wrote:
....My suggestions - run in as much padding as you can - Bondi level of padding......
I don't think padding is the answer. it might slightly reduce impact forces if running technique is poor but it will not do anything to address the root cause of the problem. If the problem is core strength, cushioned trainers won't help. In fact they could be a negative. I tend to run with better posture and technique the more minimal my footwear because sloppy technique feels bad when you remove the cushioning.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1xatbandcamp wrote:
Before my runs I usually do a half peanut butter sandwich with honey and I bring a Coke to sip on after my midway point.

Energy is a big factor, here. Drink water and gel every 4 miles. I presume a Coke could substitute, but, again, every 4 miles. Also, drink a good 12-16 oz of water with that sammy before you take off.

That's the formula that worked best for me, at least.

Good luck. You are doing well at 9:30 given the "hoss" body type.

"If everything seems in control, you aren't going fast enough" -- Mario Andretti
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any time is see people trying to solve problems with running shoes I get concerned. Running is a complete chain from your head to your feet. Just doing things down at the feet can work but often times they don't. Much of the training advice you'lve gotten makes some sense. Your long run shouldn't be 50% of your running. What I would like to see is a video of you running. Not on a treadmill but on the road. Use. A phone and send it to me I'd be happy to help. It at least would let you know you are heading in the right way chasing the shoes.

Send me a private message and I'll give you my email.

Dave Jewell
Free Run Speed

Quote Reply
Re: Help me diagnose this problem I have when my mileage gets over 10 miles(long run) [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:

This was the first thing that came to mind. I am ready for the "weightlifting is stupid" people to jump in, but it really helps with my endurance. You don't have to be a lunkhead, but strength training helps with posture and lets me run longer without the muscles in my back and core getting tired. In turn, that helps my legs stay fresh.

I also agree with the general flexibility issue. When I make myself stick with 10 minutes of basic yoga stretches 3x/week, my hips and legs feel much better. I also don't get as sore after a long workout.
Quote Reply