Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help cannot change into smallest cog.
Quote | Reply
I have reciently converted my nice Red P2K to 10sp as I have it on my road bike and was in the process of changing it from Sti to Thumb shifters. I just cannot get it to change down to the smallest cog. I have loosen the 'H' set screw right of ans far as it will go and still no joy. I have used these wheels ok on my road bike. I have a spacer on the back of the cassete, is it safe to move this to the front to move the cassete over?
Quote Reply
Re: Help cannot change into smallest cog. [boing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cable could be too tight. Undo it and see if the chain falls into place on the small cog. If it doesn't go into the small cog then you may need to adjust the limit screw. You may need to remove the spacer depending on its width (but don't put it on the other side of the cassette).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Adjust the H and L limit screws with the cable detached and the chain removed, pulleys should exactly line up with the cogs, and cable tension doesn't make you think that the limit is adjusted properly when in fact it is not. then attach the cable and install the chain.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Help cannot change into smallest cog. [jhendric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The cable is loose and it still will not go into the small sprocket. Any other suggestions?

I tried putting the cassete on to another wheel to is if that worked but it needs a spacer as it is loose (the other spacer will not fit over the free hub body as the splines must be bike on this wheel).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the cable is loose then you must not be adjusting the limit screw correctly, or you're adjusting the wrong one. Should be the bottom screw and you would need to turn it counter-clockwise.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is the derailleur cage getting caught on anything? is there adequate clearance for the chain? is the derailleur hanger properly aligned? is the derailleur properly installed (ie not cross threaded). is the derailleur broken or defective?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe a silly question, but are your bar-end shifters 10 speed?
Quote Reply
Re: Help cannot change into smallest cog. [jhendric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep they are a 10spd.

I have been adjusting the 'H' screw though I did loosen of both to see if that made any difference. It just seems to be the lowest the mech will go. I am wondering if maybe I need to re-align the rear wheel?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had the same problem happen on a Cervelo also. I don't know how good or smart it was to do, but I placed a 2mm washer in between the rear derailleur bolt and the frame hanger.

The derailleur originally would not travel all the way to the smallest cog with the cable undone and the travel screw all the way out. Once I put the washer in as a spacer, the travel problems were fixed. It may prevent 100% utilization of the threads, but I felt there was enough bolt threaded in to prevent stripping during normal use and might still be enough for that dreaded crash if it happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The washer under the derailleur clamp bolt is installed incorrectly preventing the derailleur from moving all the way down. The cable does NOT pass under the 90 degree clip under the bolt, rather it is clamped with the oblong edge of that washer, the bent portion is an antirotation device.

A common problem tough to diagnose.

Enjoy the sweet new bike!

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
can't help but to chime in.

The correct screw, is the "H" it stands for "High" which is the "smallest" cog. (Make sure your shift lever is in the position it would be in if you were riding in the smallest cog,either all the way forward or all the way back depending on how your shifters are set up). Turn the "H" screw counter clockwise, if you have a workstand put the bike in it turn the pedals in order to get the wheel moving and while you are pedaling turn the "H" screw until it drops onto the smallest cog. If that doesn't work, undo the cable anchor bolt just enough so the cable can move freely. Start pedaling again, the chain should drop. If the chain dropped to the small cog, that's good. Now readjust the "H" screw, turn it clockwise until it goes into the next cog, now turn it counterclockwise until it drops back to the small cog. Now retighten the cable, but first, turn the barrel adjuster, the little thing on the back of the derailleur that the cable and housing enter, turn that all the way clockwise until it stops, now back it out counterclockwise 3 turns. NOW tighten the cable use a pair of pliers if the cable is too short to grab with your fingers, pull it tight and at the same time tighten the anchor bolt back down onto the cable tighten it snug and then a little bit more. Now check the shifting. if it shifts up to the easier gears good, if it doesn't shift to the harder gears, loosen the barrel adjuster,turn it clockwise a 1/4 turn this should get it to work. If it doesn't shift to the easier gears, turn the barrel adjuster counter clockwise until it does, if that doesn't help then you'll need to undo the anchor bolt and pull the cable tighter, only after turning the barrel adjuster back in clockwise.

A little long winded but it should do the trick.
Quote Reply