Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Help analyze my IM Raleigh 70.3 Power Profile
Quote | Reply
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/512296962

I pushed 230 watts avg. I'm 5'11" and 152lbs on race day. I ride a 2012 cervelo P3 with a zipp firecrest 606 setup and a giro air attack helmet (no visor). I was in the aero bars 99% of the time and I have a lovely aero fit and low stack height. my power meter is a quarq riken. my tires are conti gp4000s and in great condition. aero bars are the aura pro that came with the bike.

based on my math in best bike split and looking at some friends data on strava, it seems like i should have gone a bit faster? i did drop my chain at one point (i'm a dope) but besides that 1 minute pause i never stopped.

would you also conclude i should be going faster? thoughts on what to investigate?
Last edited by: ghostrocket: Jun 3, 14 5:49
Quote Reply
Re: Help analyze my IM Raleigh 70.3 Power Profile [ghostrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah something def. seems a little off there. Either your power meter isn't reading right or you had a tire rub? Were you surprised to ride with this power or was this power something you expected from analyzing your power in training?
Quote Reply
Re: Help analyze my IM Raleigh 70.3 Power Profile [mdgreene] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks. i don't believe i had a tire rub but certainly possible. i checked before the race like usual. that power was actually a bit conservative against plan. i was able to get off and run a AG best 1:25:12. it's comforting to know i'm not overanalyzing and that something does indeed seem amiss. ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On the upside, your VI was 1.013 - pretty even.

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: Help analyze my IM Raleigh 70.3 Power Profile [Runner Rick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
haha thanks i was proud of that and had a great run as a result.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what power meter?

But yeah you ought to be going like 25+mph at 230 watts

I would first check that the power meter is accurate, because even bad bearings wouldn't slow you down that much normally

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you zero your torque?
Quote Reply
Re: Help analyze my IM Raleigh 70.3 Power Profile [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
quarq riken. i manually zero'd before the race and recalibrated right in the beginning of the bike.
Last edited by: ghostrocket: Jun 3, 14 6:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is your position like? Do you have any pics?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree with mdgreene. Something seems a bit off. I raced Raleigh on Sunday as well on a '08 p2c, Zipp disc & 404, giro aero helmet, 160 lbs and 5' 10". My NP was only 190, however bike time was only 4 minutes slower than yours.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ghostrocket wrote:
quarq riken. i manually zero'd before the race and recalibrated right in the beginning of the bike.

First order of business would be to check the calibration.
If that is good, go do a test loop at 230 and see if speed is similar.

If you really are going ~21mph @ 230 watts, you might check that wheel and BB and pulley bearings aren't completely dead, or adjusted wrong.

Quote Reply
Re: Help analyze my IM Raleigh 70.3 Power Profile [dmorris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
when the finisher pix go up ill see if i can grab one that gives a good look from the day.

obligatory:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
what power meter?

But yeah you ought to be going like 25+mph at 230 watts

I would first check that the power meter is accurate, because even bad bearings wouldn't slow you down that much normally

On that course, on that day...that's a stretch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At 5'11" I wouldn't expect him to go 25mph on 230 watts

His speed looks in line with his power for someone of that height.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks. sounds like i'll be hitting west river drive here in philly for some TT testing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
how you figure "25+mph at 230 watts"?
Quote Reply
Re: Help analyze my IM Raleigh 70.3 Power Profile [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Garmin Connect has you riding at 91% FTP - have you set that properly? For a course with only 2200 ft of elevation, that speed does seem a little low for around 230 watts. I'm about your size (6', 170), and do training rides around that wattage at 21-22 mph w/no areo stuff, so something seems a bit off.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting. I went 2.37 and change off 229W average, with a slightly higher NP of 238W. I'm 6'3", 200lbs, and I ride a Felt DA with a Hed Jet 6 and a wheelcover on a Powertap wheel. I use a Giro Advantage helmet and a De Soto Liftfoil suit. I also threw away about 2 minutes dropping my bag of endurolytes and circling back to pick them up. Some thoughts:

- I was early (45-49, second wave), so the wind wasn't really kicking up until I got to around mile 30
- I did burn a few matches on the steep climbs between mile 40 and 50
- There was a lot of slower-moving traffic to work through for the first 25 miles, but mostly that was just endless opportunities to ride in draft and then overtake
- About 6 guys from my age group worked together fairly well from mile 10 to mile 30, holding good gaps but keeping the pace steady - often I'd find myself 5 bike lengths back of the train on the flat pushing 160 watts

My race report is here:
https://patrickrunner.wordpress.com/...-70-3-june-1st-2014/

Of course, my power meter could be understating the awesomeness of my quads, or yours could be overstating your power, and don't Powertaps report lower numbers than crank-based systems, because of drivetrain losses?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Previous to this race where do you stack up against top age groupers? Your very best age group triathletes ride around 250-260 for the half distance which some of them rode in Raleigh between 2:18 and 2:22. Your 2nd tier age group cyclist will ride between 210 and 230 watts for the half distance and those guys road between 2:25 and 2:32 on Sunday. That's a long way from a 2:40? If your typically riding with top age groupers then you had some kind of mechanical. I bit complicated but again I don't think that power adds up to 21 mph. I don't think even in the very best position 230 watts comes close to 25mph on sunday but it also doesn't get you 21 mph either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you pulled up the data in Golden Cheetah or TP? Garmin Connect is notorious for erroneous average power calculations - basically it calculates averages based on head unit data so Smart Recording vs. 1s recording changes the average power values. I would be curious to see what the data looks like outside of GC.

Quote | Reply
i'm usually on the pointy end of the my AG. i would agree 230 watts isn't 25mph on that day but think its better than 21. sounds like i have some things to investigate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ghostrocket wrote:
i'm usually on the pointy end of the my AG. i would agree 230 watts isn't 25mph on that day but think its better than 21. sounds like i have some things to investigate.

If it was windy and roads were bad it might all make sense, but you said compared to others your time didn't make sense right?

Quote Reply
Re: Help analyze my IM Raleigh 70.3 Power Profile [BeastTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BeastTri wrote:
how you figure "25+mph at 230 watts"?

Extrapolating from someone I know who is 5'11" and does 27mph @ 235 watts on a hilly, windy course with non perfect pavement.

Subtract some speed for half iron bike setup being less slick.

Quote Reply
Re: Help analyze my IM Raleigh 70.3 Power Profile [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i generally use TP not garmin connect. just figured out how to make the TP public

http://tpks.ws/Qz1T
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
correct. it wasn't that windy IMHO. also the roads were very nice. so nice, in fact, i'd like to do the race again next year. here's the TP link btw http://tpks.ws/Qz1T
Quote Reply

Prev Next