Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Help - Ongoing numbness in lower leg and foot
Quote | Reply
I've had numbness in my lower leg and foot for more than 1.5 years now (onset while getting acupuncture treatment), resulting in a drop foot. I therefore haven't been able to race. Has anyone had that? If so, how did you get your sensation back? It seems I have tried pretty much everything. Unfortunately, to no prevail. Even though it also impacts me on the bike (but I seem to be able to compensate quite a bit with my other leg), it makes running almost impossible as I have a hard time pushing off the ground, balance is off, and the numb leg is so much weaker. I also constantly hit my other lower leg with the numb foot while running due to lack of control. I'm so, so frustrated. :( Any help is very much appreciated!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Help - Ongoing numbness in lower leg and foot [trirocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trirocket wrote:
I've had numbness in my lower leg and foot for more than 1.5 years now (onset while getting acupuncture treatment), resulting in a drop foot. I therefore haven't been able to race. Has anyone had that? If so, how did you get your sensation back? It seems I have tried pretty much everything. Unfortunately, to no prevail. Even though it also impacts me on the bike (but I seem to be able to compensate quite a bit with my other leg), it makes running almost impossible as I have a hard time pushing off the ground, balance is off, and the numb leg is so much weaker. I also constantly hit my other lower leg with the numb foot while running due to lack of control. I'm so, so frustrated. :( Any help is very much appreciated!!!

What is the primary cause? Have you had scans done? EMGs? This sounds like a nerve compression or injury situation. The acupuncture needles are pretty small but technically if they popped one directly into one of the nerves then it can cause damage, but need more information to know how this has happened and has there been any recovery at all etc. It sounds like both numbness (sensory) and motor weakness??
Quote Reply
Re: Help - Ongoing numbness in lower leg and foot [Amnesia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In October 2021 I got acupuncture treatment for a hip injury on the other side. While on the table, my left big toe started feeling numb. I asked the acupuncturist if she had put a needle in it. She said she wasn't even close. It turned out that the majority of the needles were in the hamstring. The following day I did hill repeats (running) and realized every time I did a u-turn, the left foot plopped down wherever it wanted as I couldn't control it.
I had a NCT done, which showed the same results as back in 2007 (I ended up with neuropathy in my lower leg after navicular surgery, but had no numbness for all those years and was able to run at high speed). The prick test showed that is numbness in numerous areas.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, both numbness and motor weakness. Also, my hamstring feels like cramping up any minute - even when just sitting around, but it doesn't.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trirocket wrote:
Yes, both numbness and motor weakness. Also, my hamstring feels like cramping up any minute - even when just sitting around, but it doesn't.

Disclaimer first-I am an MD but not in this area, but in an area that needs to assess issues like this frequently.
Have you had any scans of your lower back?
I will attach a picture here....can you map out where your numbness is??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AInt no doc, but recently saw this.... lack of vitamin b12?

Quote Reply
Re: Help - Ongoing numbness in lower leg and foot [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought about that too and started taking 5,000 mcg of B12.
The thing is the numbness started while getting treated by an acupuncturist.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, I have had MRIs of the lower back and hamstrings. They showed partial tears on hamstrings and glute, which may or may not be older injuries.
Would you mind sending a pic of the left leg to map out the numb areas? Thank you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trirocket wrote:
Yes, I have had MRIs of the lower back and hamstrings. They showed partial tears on hamstrings and glute, which may or may not be older injuries.
Would you mind sending a pic of the left leg to map out the numb areas? Thank you.

It was attached back in Post 5....
Last edited by: Amnesia: Jun 19, 23 5:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I reversed the diagram as my numbness is on the left leg. I hope you can see the marked areas.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trirocket wrote:
Thanks. I reversed the diagram as my numbness is on the left leg. I hope you can see the marked areas.

Can you attach it?? (or send it to me as a PM)
The distribution is helpful when looking at the potential level of the lesion.
When you were having acupuncture, where was the area the person was working on at the time when this happened
Sometimes there is a clear precipitating event which causes something to happen, however often in medicine what the patient thinks is the triggering event versus what actually might have been can be quite different, so we always try and keep an open mind on things.
I will say, as much as you won't want to hear this, if you have had numbness and weakness for 18 months now, the chances of that recovering are slim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought it was attached. Let me try again....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow! That was a character builder to attach those files. But I think in finally worked. Fingers crossed....
Attached is the map outlining where the numbness is as well as the placement of the acupuncture needles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you see the attachments? What are your thoughts?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trirocket wrote:
Did you see the attachments? What are your thoughts?

Sorry, have had a mad few days in theatre.
Will look properly this evening and get back to you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do a search for iliac artery endofibrosis on this site and google. Many here have it, and some underwent surgery (iirc, Dr Cherry was the go-to guy/gal). Mine presents like a “wooden leg” when my HR a is pushed too high for a specified period.

One thing I recall is it took many of us a long time to finally get a diagnosis.

From my bookmarks

https://www.cfp.ca/content/62/4/318

https://www.sciencedirect.com/...ii/S1078588409001804

https://velo.outsideonline.com/...tery-endofibrosis-2/
Quote Reply
Re: Help - Ongoing numbness in lower leg and foot [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought I’d found a solution to my issues, and the OP’s here, but this doesn’t sound like mine as it suggests symptoms go away almost as soon as you stop? Whereas my left leg is gently aching/ throbbing as I sit drinking my coffee and had a rest day yesterday! My physio suggested compression syndrome but I haven’t worked out how to get a test for that on the nhs yet
Quote Reply
Re: Help - Ongoing numbness in lower leg and foot [Lankysprinter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is your numbness 24/7? And does it feel "crampy" and as if your foot has fallen asleep?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh, wow! Would you mind describing in more detail what your leg feels like? Does it kind of plop down on the ground when running and hit your other calf because you are not in control of it? Does it also tend to cramp up and is weak?
Do you have any pain?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never any pain. I go back to “wooden leg” being the best and most complete descriptor when it occurs: loss of strength, worsening as effort continues; loss of feeling (but not like numbness … more like a “phantom limb”); some loss of mobility and range of motion. Sensation that if I continue at effort, the leg will just stop functioning altogether. The muscles continue to fire, but less, at first, and then significantly. But I’ve never fallen over.

In addition to the terms in my earlier note, you’ll get useful hits from searching Iliac arterial endofibrosis.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got you!
But it feels normal when you are not cycling?
How about when running? Do you feel out of balance and as if you might be falling down any minute?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
davetallo wrote:
Never any pain. I go back to “wooden leg” being the best and most complete descriptor when it occurs: loss of strength, worsening as effort continues; loss of feeling (but not like numbness … more like a “phantom limb”); some loss of mobility and range of motion. Sensation that if I continue at effort, the leg will just stop functioning altogether. The muscles continue to fire, but less, at first, and then significantly. But I’ve never fallen over.
Mine is similar but with the regular low level ache/ throbbing which feels like when you might be getting shin splints and need to back off the running for a week, except I’ve had it for 4 years so it can’t still be shin splints!

Have you had the strength tested and have you had any nerve testing?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It doesn’t (didn’t) feel funny when at rest. Maybe an odd tightness, but I put the sensation at 1/10.

Running, it would predictably come on at 8 minutes or so at z4 effort. Sometimes faster if I went out quickly, was experiencing higher blood pressure than nor am, or if it was unusually hot. Paces below that were fine, except for late-season HMP sessions, in which case, it would be about 20 minutes in. The feeling of the leg about to quit makes the “about to fall over” sensation.

Bike would be when riding at FTP, at around the same 8 minute point. This would occur whether I rode in aero, or in the hoods on a road bike. Oddly, I could ride in aero at lower intensities with no problems at all.
Last edited by: davetallo: Jun 22, 23 10:02
Quote Reply
Re: Help - Ongoing numbness in lower leg and foot [Lankysprinter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lankysprinter wrote:

Have you had the strength tested and have you had any nerve testing?

Both, and lots of other stuff in the years I was trying to get a diagnosis. Ultimately it was imaging (done immediately - like, within a minute iirc - after a graded treadmill test and and ABI that confirmed it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks so much for the info.
And you had the surgery and everything is back to normal? No more issues?
Quote Reply

Prev Next