Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Help: Looking for good endurance related book for vacation
Quote | Reply
Hello Slow twitchers,

I am going on vacation and am looking for good endurance themed book along the lines of:

Born to Run
Secret Race
I'm here to win

Any good suggestions? I love a good book on vacation.
Quote Reply
Re: Help: Looking for good endurance related book for vacation [Trip] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
17 hrs to Glory
It's a collection of mini biographies of top Ironman champs and a few others.

Eat&Run by Scott Juric
Start kind of slow, but finishes well. He also gives his account of what all went down with "Born to Run".

@christopher_borden •
Spinning Spoke • Dimond Bikes • Flo Cycling • Castelli Cycling
Quote Reply
Re: Help: Looking for good endurance related book for vacation [Trip] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trip wrote:
Hello Slow twitchers,

I am going on vacation and am looking for good endurance themed book along the lines of:

Born to Run
Secret Race
I'm here to win

Any good suggestions? I love a good book on vacation.

Non-fiction

'A Life Without Limits' - Chrissie Wellington. The best triathlon book I've read.
'The Iron War' - Well written, and pretty interesting even if you know the story well
'Running with the Kenyans' - Man moves to Kenya to try to learn to run like the Kenyans.

Fiction

'The Rider' - The best book about cycling ever (fiction or non-fiction). http://cyclingtips.com.au/2010/11/the-rider/
'Once a Runner' - A cult classic. There is a sequel too, but I didn't like it as much.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would say "It's Not About the Bike" or "Every Second Counts", but I can't find them at any book store; it's like the books never existed.

I liked "Death of Marco Pantani". It's dark, but fascinating from a psychological perspective.

On the lighter side "Once a Runner" is a cult classic fiction novel - great beach read.

Damn, that's a cold ass honkey.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bowerman and the men of Oregon
Unbroken

---------------------------------------
Fruit snacks are for winners
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
x2 on Iron war, Bowerman and men of Oregon, and Death of Marco Pantani.

I also enjoyed Deul in the Sun ( Alberto Salazar, Dick Bearsley and the Boston Marathon). Scott Jurek's book was pretty good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Born to Run and it's sequel Again to Carthage.

The latter is not as good. But still a decent enough read for vacation.
Quote Reply
Re: Help: Looking for good endurance related book for vacation [Borden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 on Eat & Run. I really enjoyed that book. It has some great recipes in there too!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Born to Run: Great book, great story. Probably the best overall as it is actually well written (written by a writer and not an athlete) and the story about the Mexican tribe is just fascinating. This is one of the books on the list that you can refer to when you're enduring a workout and needing to dig deep.
Running with the Buffalo: story about Colorado U cross country team during one coincidentally eventful season. True story about Adam Goucher's college days in the 90s, but still relevant. Gets in great detail about training regimen and races. Also well written.
UltraMarathon Man: This is what I have in mind when I mention Born to Run and Buffalo are well written...But regardless, Dean Karnazes is still pretty crazy and thus worth a read. This will take you one long flight to read. All of his books are the same for that matter...
Running with the Kenyans: Good book. Good story.
Secret Race: Great book, lots of details and despite what you already know about doping, you'll probably learn some more. And most importantly you realize how much these animals can actually endure.
I'm Here to Win: Another tally in the "not written by a writer" column. Macca is a phenomenal athlete, but his arrogance is a bit overwhelming, and it's displayed in his writting. This book also doesnt have much great info about training or too many racing tactics. Good easy quick read, but if you're looking for more substantive stuff, this is not your best bet.
Quote Reply
Re: Help: Looking for good endurance related book for vacation [bmeer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
X2 on Unbroken....wow what a book.

I *heart* weak, dumb ass people...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unbroken x1000
Running with the Kenyans
The Secret Race
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Breaking the Chain" by Willie Voet.
Book about the Festina 1998 Tour de France drug scandal written by the team's sounigueur. Read this on the bus in France. Really interesting and an eye opener.

"I met a guy up on that mountain who I grew to like, and do you know who that guy was? That's right, it was me."___Tim Moore, from the book "French Revolutions....Cycling the Tour de France". A great book. A guy with little to no cycling experience decides to ride the same route of the Tour de France. Hilarity ensues.

"To The Edge" by Kirk Johnson.
The book by the NY Time writer who takes up running after the suicide of his brother and eventually decides he has to run Badwater. Pretty interesting, especially the account of the race itself and the people who run it.

"Ultimate High--My Everest Odyssey" by Goran Kropp.
Kropp rode his bike 7,000 miles to/from Stockholm to Mt. Everest, attempted the summit and rode back and this is the story of that trip. He was killed a few years later in a climbing accident.

"A Rough Ride" by Paul Kimmage
Published in 1990, but an interesting read if you can find it.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eat & Run 4/5
Racing through the dark 4.5/5
Gold In the water 5/5..maybe 6/5
From lance to landis 4/5
Quote Reply
Re: Help: Looking for good endurance related book for vacation [bmeer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
who is the author of unbroken?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://gearpatrol.com/...nitive-mens-library/

Some of the books in the above are not necessarily related to endurance, but they are all great reads.
Quote Reply
Re: Help: Looking for good endurance related book for vacation [Noof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Laura hillibrand, same author as seabiscuit.

---------------------------------------
Fruit snacks are for winners
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not quite the same as those books but I really enjoyed:
Run to Overcome (Meb Keflezighi)
Running for My Life (Lopez Lomong)

They're more about their lives before running and how running changed it. They aren't very "science-y" but they are good reads.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+ 1 for Bowerman, Men of Oregon and Gold in the Water.

my suggestion - A long walk: true story of a trek to freedom.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 to both Unbroken and Iron War.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Proud member of the GUCrew
Twitter: @tripigeon Blog: Ironpigeon.com
Thoughts on AG sponsorships / community involvement: http://bit.ly/1dQlVDy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I finished "Can't Swim, Can't Ride, Can't Run" by Andy Holgate this morning. Very enjoyable. Chrissie's book is also a good read.

Coach Brain: Accelerate 3 ; Incoherent Ramblings
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bowerman and The Men of Oregon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Endurance: Shackelton's incredible voyage by Alfred Lansing

This is an amazing read that shows you just how much endurance a human can have as well as how good we have it. I found it very compelling.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eat & Run - just finishing it now...fast/good read
Crissie's book is awesome
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was on a cruise last year bored out of my mind and on the ship library I stumbled across "Golden Girl" about Olympic champion Natalie Coughlin. From an endurance perspective it was interesting because there was quite a bit about volume training and how it burns swimmers out at an early age.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Finding Ultra by Rich Roll
My Time by Bradley Wiggins
Quote Reply

Prev Next