Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help! Where to place bottles on my new Felt IA 14
Quote | Reply
Hi all -

I just recently purchased a Felt IA 14. LOVE LOVE LOVE this bike. I am racing Lake Placid 70.3 this summer. Suggestions for where to place hydration (with pics)? I would like to put a "regular" bottle between the aerobars (not a fan of the ones with the straws - prefer a regular bottle) and one behind the seat I think. I picked up a XLab Aero Cage optimizer mount so I am thinking I can use that somewhere?

I'm not a newbie triathlete by any stretch. On my old Felt (11 years old) I had 2 bottles behind the seat using a Minoura mount and a profile cage that held 2 bottles. That, however, is heavy. I'd like to try to go lighter.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Help! Where to place bottles on my new Felt IA 14 [uptown423] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am watching this thread, because I have the same questions. I have done a ton of upgrades to my IA16, but my hydration has not been very strategic so far. I have a Cobb JOF saddle, so I have their seat hydration bracket with 2 bottles. I originally had an XLab Torpedo 500 on the stock bars. When I upgraded to Tririg bars, I moved the XLab cage and bottle over, but not the rest of the Torpedo 500 assembly. I also have a cage on the down tube that is empty, except to store an empty bottle during a race if I cannot discard it in time.
  • I am curious about other BTA bottle options, since I can pretty much use any cage and bottle with the Tririg Alpha X bracket.
  • I am curious about potentially better or more aero rear seat brackets or hydration options (and why better)
  • I am curious about whether I should totally remove the down tube cage and never put anything there (for this, I will need to improve my race refill skills)

Quote Reply
Re: Help! Where to place bottles on my new Felt IA 14 [uptown423] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have an ia10. I keep three bottle cages on my bike so I can start a race with three bottles (which is usually enough for a 70.3 and allows me skip the first water stop in an IM), and after the first bottle is done and discarded I have an empty cage for hand-ups.

My configuration is a little unorthodox. I have two back to back cages BTA since I have long arms and therefore extensions, and this doesn't seem to affect handling at all. The 'inboard' BTA cage is the one that's left empty after the first bottle is done. The third single cage is zip tied behind my seat, angled out of the wind. keeps it simple, more or less.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have one on the downtube and a gorilla cage zip tied behind the seat. I've never ridden with a BTA because I like to keep the front clean

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I too am working on this set up and plan. Have the new IA3, and at present, I have one bottle on the down tube and one non-straw XLAB Torpedo bottle on the aero bars. Works great. Later in the year when I transition from half to full training, I think I'll add a single bottle behind the saddle. I use the "cal-pack" for tube and air cartridges, and an aero bag, attached to the seat post on top tube, for nutrition.
Quote Reply
Re: Help! Where to place bottles on my new Felt IA 14 [Jimmy B.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jimmy B....I think I like this set up the best. I just purchased an IA2 and love the bike. I like the "keep it simple" philosophy and don't see the need to have more than two bottles during racing, even long course. Long race training I'd go to 3 bottles.
I'm coming of a Shiv, which I do miss the stored water in the frame.
Is there a better way to put a cage behind the seat aside from zip ties?
Quote Reply
Re: Help! Where to place bottles on my new Felt IA 14 [IVcoops] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think this behind the seat bottle cage will work. xlab-delta-225-ism-rear-hyd
Quote Reply