Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help! Power crank advise needed.
Quote | Reply
Just got a new set. Do I need to get a DIFFERENT BB if I have D10? It seems to say as much in the instructions, but i'm no bike mechanic. And if so what works best? one more thing, Do those of you that have them train exclusively on them as suggested.
Quote Reply
Re: Help! Power crank advise needed. [igadave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seems Like I remember seeing on thier site that they do not work with the new D10 BB.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the first year I went exclusive except in racing (this was good for short races, but my quads lacked endurance for long races like Ironman). In year 3, I use them 4 days a week for bike commuting, total of ~140K per week or so. Two other days per week on regular cranks for ~250-300K.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]Just got a new set. Do I need to get a DIFFERENT BB if I have D10? It seems to say as much in the instructions, but i'm no bike mechanic. And if so what works best? one more thing, Do those of you that have them train exclusively on them as suggested.[/reply]

You need to replace the BB as DA10 doesn't have a BB for the PC's to attach to. If your PC's are octalink then I would suggest an ultegra BB.

You don't "need" to train on them exclusively unless you are looking for as much cycling improvement you can get as fast as you can get it. Lot's of users use them less with good results. I just think exclusive use is the optimum way to go. I think you should train on them as if you intended to race on them. If you were race ready on PC's then your performance on regular cranks should be optimum also since, if you pedal properly one cannot tell the difference between PC's and regular cranks, should you prefer to race on regular cranks. If you are not race ready on PC's then you are risking reverting back to your old form without knowing it (and slowing down and/or exhausting your pushing muscles cause you haven't been training them) racing on regular cranks.

Frank

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Re: Help! Power crank advise needed. [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Frank,

Two more questions

situtaion: I'm probably headed back to Afghanistan in a few months and will mostly be at Bagram AFB. So I was thinking of taking my cyclocross bike and a trainer with me. the running loop around the airfield is way to rocky to ride so I'm stuck with the trainer.

Question1: Is there any difference from adapting to PCs in a road position and then shifting to a tri position a few months later? Would that equate to another, but maybe shorter, adaption phase?

Question2: Bagram is dusty, not like sandstorm dusty, but it has it's moments. I will probably bring some tools and maintenance items. How high or low maintenance are PCs - rememeber we're more that likely talking about them being trainer bound.

thanks

Jim
Quote Reply
Re: Help! Power crank advise needed. [rgr195] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]Frank,

Two more questions

situtaion: I'm probably headed back to Afghanistan in a few months and will mostly be at Bagram AFB. So I was thinking of taking my cyclocross bike and a trainer with me. the running loop around the airfield is way to rocky to ride so I'm stuck with the trainer.

Question1: Is there any difference from adapting to PCs in a road position and then shifting to a tri position a few months later? Would that equate to another, but maybe shorter, adaption phase?

Question2: Bagram is dusty, not like sandstorm dusty, but it has it's moments. I will probably bring some tools and maintenance items. How high or low maintenance are PCs - rememeber we're more that likely talking about them being trainer bound.

thanks

Jim[/reply]

Jim,

Question 1. There seems to be little difference between road and tri adaption unless you will never get into the aero position on the road bike. Don't worry about it.

Question 2. I am not aware of a single failure due to dust or anything else environmental wise. Auser in Finland sent me a picture of his PC's covered with ice after a ride. Chad Walton has had his in Iraq for awhile without difficulty and I know several others have deployed with them without any problems I am aware of. I have carried my expo bike on the back of my car through awful conditions and washed if off at the car wash (as the only pre expo maintenance) without a problem. So they seem exceedingly low maintenence. If you are concerned add some light oil once a month or so or after an extreme exposure. Do not add grease to the clutch though, use oil. So, in a nutshell, don't worry about it.

Stay safe. Don't let Osamu capture your cranks or we may never catch him. :-)

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply