Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help! - can't remove pedals from cranks
Quote | Reply
I'm trying to take the pedals off my PCs to put back on my old cranks. I'll be racing this weekend and I want to switch the cranks out.

The problem is that my LBS put the pedals on so damn tight I cannot move them. Does anyone have any hints to loosen the pedals?

Thanks,

matt
Quote Reply
Re: Help! - can't remove pedals from cranks [Matt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My husband uses heat for too-tight pedals. He drags out a blow torch, like the kind Martha Stewart uses to make creme brulee, and just heats up the connection, then has another go. It usually works. Be sure to clean and then lube the parts before putting them back together.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
(First make sure you are turning them the right way)

If all else fails I use an 18" section of 1" inside diameter gas pipe that I use for setting crown races and put the handle of the pedal wrench part way inside it for extra leverage. Never fails.
Quote Reply
Re: Help! - can't remove pedals from cranks [mises] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just to reiterate the previous post: make sure you are going the right way. I stripped one of my pedals b/c I didn't realize that one side is reverse threaded.

=============
Adam Duncan
New York, NY
Quote Reply
Re: Help! - can't remove pedals from cranks [Jacquie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Excellent! The blowtorch took them right off and did include a "wow factor" that cannot be overlooked.

Thanks everyone for your help!

matt

"When I cleaned up my diction, I had nothing left to say" -- Van Morrison
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
now go to the lbs and say the following words to them..."torque wrench".

like explaining twent first century technology to the uci they will scratch thier heads. then they will fling poo at you and pull up carpet and stand on thier hind legs and beat thier chest.

why is torque wrenchs so hated by the cycling community.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply