Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Heel pain Help
Quote | Reply
Im a running novice and have developed a new pain. My left heel hurts when I get out of bed, but warms up and feels fine after 2 or 3 min of walking. actually running doesnt seem to bother it. I dont think its the planter thing, but seems to be more of an achilies thing. the area that hurts is very small and doesnt radiate up or into my foot. Is this achlies tendonitis? I do calf stretching, but its not helping. I tried rest, but it only seemed to get worse, so I went back to running 2-3 x wk 30-45min at a time.

Thanks for any advise
Quote Reply
Re: Heel pain Help [DamageInc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Based upon having both ailments, if the pain is on the bottom of the heel, probably plantar fascitis. If the pain is on the back of the heel, probaly achilles tendonitis.
Quote Reply
Re: Heel pain Help [MPB1950] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably plantar fascitis as you suggest. Try icing it initially. Can also often be treated by your local chiro or PT with ultra-sound treatments. This condition is usually associated with over pronation of the foot. Custom orthotics are often helpful in correcting this if it continues to be stubborn..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
take care of your calves to take care of your plantar fascia and your achilles tendon. the more loose and pliable your calves are, the less prone you will be those kinds of injury - according to my doctor.

good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where exactly is the pain?

Bottom of heel, inside, outside, up near the achilies?

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: Heel pain Help [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last nite I poked around on it and found a tender spot on the middle of the heel where the achilles attaches. Info on another site said for AT no running for 2 weeks, ice, and good streching after 1 week of rest. What about biking? It doesn't hurt when I ride, but will this aggravate it? Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have found that riding up steep hills sometimes causes me AT.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A year and a half ago I had pain on the inside of my heel just below the ankle bone. I went to the doctor because I thought that I had stress fractures. What the doctor (a sports medicine doctor) found was an inflamed tendon stretched over a nerve, some call this tarsel tunnel syndrome. A good test for this is to pinch the back of your heels just behind the ankle bone, if you have pain on the inside, this might be your problem.

He said this was happening cuz the shoes that I was wearing were flat on the inside and I needed arch support to hold up my arch. My foot was flattening out while running and causing the stress on the tendons that support it. Not necessarily motion control shoes were needed, just some more arch support.

I used some anti-inflamatories and ice for a couple of weeks, changed insoles in my shoes (eventually changed to different shoes) and started running at half of my previous milage and built up using the 10% rule. I also keep my calves stretched out really well as someone else has allready pointed out.

This wouldn't normally hurt untill I was close to finishing my runs and immediately afterwards. All other times I was just fine.

I hope this helps.

jaretj
Quote Reply