Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Heated Gloves--Updated with Product Review
Quote | Reply
I have used the gloves ten times, and as recent as today for a 12m run (20F), and yesterday (15F) for a shorter run.

PROS:

• They are awesome and anybody who runs and bikes in very cold weather needs them.
  • My hands are not only always at least warm, but sometimes I have to lower the heat because my entire body overheats at the high level. There are three heat settings.
  • They are lightweight and the material is nice.
  • Charging them is easy. Hold the charge for 2-4 hours--depending the heat setting you use.

CONS:

• Not cheap but absolutely worth it. Retail around $170, but I got size large for $134 on Amazon (see below). [I would almost pay anything after experiencing a run without the post-run defrost].
  • While they are lightweight, they are heavy at the wrists because the batteries are there. The wrist slides around while you run, but there is velcro to tighten up the wrist some. But since they're liners anyway and not a bit bulky, I wear them under mittens that hold the wrist in place. Its now perfect.

I wish I had these for the past 20 years, but they havent existed like this for 20 years, so Im not looking back.

Venture Heat City Collection Heated Glove Liners (Black, Large)
by Venture Heat
[/url] 21 customer reviews

List Price:$169.99Price:$134.92 & FREE SHIPPINGYou Save:$35.07 (21%)
Note: Not eligible for Amazon Prime. Available with free Prime shipping from other sellers on Amazon.
Only 15 left in stock.
Ships from and sold by Powersport Superstore.
Size: Large

• Medium
    $159.57

• Large
    $134.92

• X-Large
    $169.99

• XX-Large
    $169.99

• Up to 6 hours of heated comfort
  • Fitted, slim design
  • One touch temperature controller

solo wrote:
I live in the NE, and run year-round. During the height of winter I can run with nothing more than a l/s shirt and vest with pants, but my hands become frozen even with two quality layers of gloves or mittens. The pain is so much when I come home from the "defrost" that I swear out loud for 10 mins like I kicked a brick wall barefoot. I dont think its Raynauds, but it doesnt matter if it is because there is nothing I can do about it other than to stop running in 25 degree temps.

Anyway, Ive had it, so Im looking to buy a pair of rechargeable heated liners or gloves. There is nothing specifically for running so it makes me think that its not a great technology for this application. Anybody have experience or thoughts? Ive done some research and found this as the strongest contender:

Last edited by: solo: Jan 12, 15 18:45
Quote Reply
Re: Heated Gloves [solo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live in Minnesota where it's colder than New England and i have the opposite problem. I often take off my mittens to cool off when I'm running. Which brings me to my point. Wear mittens not gloves if your hands are cold. I see you do sometimes. If you need more warmth, throw in some hand warmers. Have you tried that? Those gloves look thin if the battery dies they may not cut it.

Or they could be awesome

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Last edited by: veganerd: Nov 16, 14 19:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wonder if you need to warm your core up more - your cold hands might reflect inadequate clothing on your trunk and legs. I would try adding two extra layers to the top and one extra layer to your legs before splashing out on buying fancier gloves.

(I frequently run in -20C, not much choice in Alberta, either brave the cold or face the dreadmill...)
Quote Reply
Re: Heated Gloves [Drdan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly on target - keep the core warm first. The body will steal heat from the expendable (fingers and toes) extremities to protect the vital organs. Keep your head warm - it's a radiator. Mittens over a thin glove and if necessary chemical warmer packets (ski supply/sporting goods store). That combination is as warm as you can get as warm as you can get. (and a LOT cheaper!)
Quote Reply
Re: Heated Gloves [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Re: Heated Gloves [Drdan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's an old boy scout saying; if your hands are cold, wear a hat...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in the same situation as you and what works for me is wearing a very thick running glove such as the Sugoi RSR. Before I go out to run, I warm my hands under hot water, dry them, then immediately put on the gloves.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ever tried neoprene gloves? Game changer for me. You don't even need the expensive cycling ones, get some kayak gloves. I know you said cycling, but hands is hands.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a pair of liners that are almost the same from a Canadian company and love them. You can buy a thin water resistant / wind resistant shell to put over them and they do a wonderful thing.

I commute by bike and over the years have bought every glove on the market and can't keep my hands warm under about -5C. These have done wonders and I still commute on bike at -20C (I use a heavier over glove at that temp).

Mittens are great for keeping fingers warm but certain don't help my thumb. Core? Well my core is plenty warm. Those hand warmer things? Great idea, but they don't keep fingers warm. A hat? That's dumb.

Buy them, love them. Use them a lot. They are great for hiking, watching parades, sitting and watching sporting events. Riding bikes, skiing etc.... And I have used mine for running on uber cold days as well. To keep the battery from bouncing I put the gloves on and then a tight base layer to hold the battery pack against my skin.

I am on year three for my pair and just wore them last night while I was in a parade. I can't wait for the company to come out with heated socks next.

Ian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have Raynauds and my right hand is worse than the left, so it doesn't really matter how warm the core is, my right fingers are painfully cold in 60 degree temps or below. I bought some neoprene gloves and they work better than any other glove I've tried. They are bulky, but since I can't use my fingers when they are cold anyway, I'm okay with that. Hiwever, mittens are the best, especially with a hand warmer in them. Lobster claw gloves work pretty well too, since each finger isn't isolated. Pearl Izumi makes these, and I'm sure other companies do too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in the same boat, and I've tried every suggestion made in this thread except the heated gloves. Where did you find them? (link)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
in x country skiing, I find both toes and fingers freeze if there is the least bit of tightness in boots or gloves. ie restricting circulation. the looser their surroundings, the warmer my toes and fingers feel. I too get raynaulds which usually requires running warm water over fingers for a while to get them to not resemble dead white corpses and stop the pain :) even if my core is sweating so badly that to stop would be a bad idea, fingers and toes will still be frozen
Quote Reply
Re: Heated Gloves [GhiaGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My GF has raynauds as well and uses the bright yellow PI lobster gloves great for skate skiing and early spring riding.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife has Raynaud's and has the glove version of those liners. Has only had them for about 3 weeks, but so far so good.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I'm wearing these in MN
Quote Reply
Re: Heated Gloves [Ironma'am] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The gloves I found are made by Venture Heat.

http://www.ventureheat.com/17-battery-heated-gloves
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
I live in Minnesota where it's colder than New England and i have the opposite problem. I often take off my mittens to cool off when I'm running. Which brings me to my point. Wear mittens not gloves if your hands are cold. I see you do sometimes. If you need more warmth, throw in some hand warmers. Have you tried that? Those gloves look thin if the battery dies they may not cut it.

Or they could be awesome

I like the hand warmers, but since I run 4-5x week and its cold 4-5x week, it would cost some serious cash to last through the winter.

I think Im going to buy the gloves and report back here. If I find they work, then hopefully the ST folks insane enough to not live in year-round warm weather can benefit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be very interested in your results. I may try them as well. Thanks for the link.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They are cheaper on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/...Liners/dp/B007A5N0D2
Quote Reply
Re: Heated Gloves [J-No] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is the lowest temp you have ridden with these and not had your fingers go numb?

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: Heated Gloves [Ironma'am] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironma'am wrote:
I'll be very interested in your results. I may try them as well. Thanks for the link.

Let me get the link for where my wife bought her's (full mitten version of the glove liner, she said they were the same price and the mittens are warm).

Here is the link

http://www.thewarmingstore.com/...-heated-mittens.html

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Last edited by: DavHamm: Nov 17, 14 17:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the same problem. Doesn't matter what my core temperature is, my fingers go numb. Once gloves are not enough I go with the following in this order

1. Lobster claws
2. Heated gloves - I use the Gerbing's fleece gloves but I am considering these ones in the future
3. Heated gloves + Bar Mitts

Plus, if your toes get warm, you can use their heated socks too. Combine those with the big battery and your toes will be warm all day but you won't have any money left to pay the electricity bill!

Yes, I know, this stuff costs way too much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the same problem. A few of my friends swear by these and ride at temps close to zero.

http://barmitts.com

I may try these this year. I can get away with lobster claws for temps down to 25.
Quote Reply
Re: Heated Gloves [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JoeO wrote:
I have the same problem. Doesn't matter what my core temperature is, my fingers go numb. Once gloves are not enough I go with the following in this order

1. Lobster claws
2. Heated gloves - I use the Gerbing's fleece gloves but I am considering these ones in the future
3. Heated gloves + Bar Mitts

Plus, if your toes get warm, you can use their heated socks too. Combine those with the big battery and your toes will be warm all day but you won't have any money left to pay the electricity bill!

Yes, I know, this stuff costs way too much.

Yes, the stuff is relatively expensive. But after almost 20 years of running (and snowshoe running) though the winter on otherwise awesome runs, I think I have (and anybody else on ST) has shown the commitment. Its funny that Im all guilty thinking about spending $150 on gloves so my hands dont literally freeze, but I didnt have a second thought spending ++$5000 on a tri bike I use only during tri season.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's a website that may help. It's Web Bike World. I couldn't really call it the Slowtwitch of motorcycles, more like the Consumer Reports. Motorcycling has in common with triathlon that some of its practitioners like to practitionate in unreasonable weather. And since there's little to no exercise and concomitant generation of body heat involved, motorcyclists seem to be more prone to chilly appendages. Web Bike World to the rescue -- this topic is written about a lot on that site, and there are many, many product reviews. These are indeed similar to Slowtwitch articles in that they are intelligently and knowledgeably written.

Start here:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/...tm?q=heated%20gloves
Quote Reply

Prev Next