Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Heat Training new science....
Quote | Reply
Some great new info on heat training. I've been a believer for quite some time, so it's nice to see some scientific support and study...

Hyperthermic Conditioning for Hypertrophy, Endurance, and Neurogenesis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHOlM-wlNjM

A leading communicator on the science of sauna use is Dr. Rhonda Patrick, PHD. “Hyperthermic conditioning” is what Patrick refers to as using sauna (both with and without exercise) can improve endurance and athletic performance through improved blood flow to skeletal muscles, skin and also the heart. Nutrient delivery to the muscles is improved (with a glycogen-sparing effect). The heat adaptation allows you to train at a lower core body temperature— thus sweating occurs at a lower core body temperature and supports mechanisms that helps dissipate heat. Muscle hypertrophy was also improved through sauna use, i.e., the gaining lean muscle mass. Patrick also reveals that frequent use of a hot sauna can raise the production of human growth hormone to levels that basically sound illegal.
Quote Reply
Re: Heat Training new science.... [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This topic fascinates me, but is there a transcript of this anywhere? I got 30 seconds into this video before shutting it off. Her voice pissed me off too badly. I can't take her seriously sounding like that, nor can I sit through 13 minutes of video having to listen to it.
Quote Reply
Re: Heat Training new science.... [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've also been fascinated by it and it has been VERY effective for me. After watching this I'm going to up my activity a bit more. I agree it's tough to listen to, but the info is really detailed and informative. I find many such experts don't excel at speaking. I haven't seen a transcript, but the original article was here:

http://lavamagazine.com/...th-hormone-and-more/
Quote Reply
Re: Heat Training new science.... [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree, voice is annoying. Here is the original article:
http://fourhourworkweek.com/2014/04/10/saunas-hyperthermic-conditioning-2/
Quote Reply
Re: Heat Training new science.... [subsubsubelite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
subsubsubelite wrote:
Agree, voice is annoying. Here is the original article:

Oh perfect. Thank you
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Small sample size (n=6) but other studies apparently support...What other studies? Where published? Where's the original study?

Only a citation comes up in Google Scholar. There are some references to a white paper (http://en.calameo.com/...041150264f1d2d0e287c), but I can't find any peer reviewed studies. Anybody been able to sight any peer reviewed studies by Dr Patrick on the subject?

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Heat Training new science.... [PhilipShambrook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PhilipShambrook wrote:
Small sample size (n=6) but other studies apparently support...What other studies? Where published? Where's the original study?

Only a citation comes up in Google Scholar. There are some references to a white paper (http://en.calameo.com/...041150264f1d2d0e287c), but I can't find any peer reviewed studies. Anybody been able to sight any peer reviewed studies by Dr Patrick on the subject?

Look at the web article linked below (also mentioned above but without easy to click hyperlink) with 48 references at the bottom. Should be enough literature there make a reasonable review of the claims?

I'm planning on building a ghetto-as DIY heat box in my garage to give this a whirl. I have some packing crates for a frame, plastic liner for walls, floor heater to get the temp up, and a thermocouple to monitor the temp.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did a total of 6 sauna sessions from 15 to 30 minutes each in the 10 days before an Oly race that's notoriously hot and humid. I cracked at that race before because of the heat and going too hard but this time I had one of my best races ever and PRed at the distance.
After watching the video I'll probably continue to do this regardless of expected temperatures. Heat acclimation is probably the next best thing you can do besides taking in loads of caffeine. I also train in a garage in 80+ F heat in South FL :)
Quote Reply
Re: Heat Training new science.... [Pantelones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Peer reviewed study before it was published in a web article?

Pantelones wrote:
PhilipShambrook wrote:

Look at the web article linked below (also mentioned above but without easy to click hyperlink) with 48 references at the bottom. Should be enough literature there make a reasonable review of the claims?

I'm planning on building a ghetto-as DIY heat box in my garage to give this a whirl. I have some packing crates for a frame, plastic liner for walls, floor heater to get the temp up, and a thermocouple to monitor the temp.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When you look closely at the references there is only a small number that appear directly relevant. This systematic review, when published, will possibly help - http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/...651858.CD012016/full. For now, the best evidence seems to come from the Chalmers 2014 study referenced in the protocol. Note that the results need to be interpreted with caution due to the small sample size and quality of the evidence.

That being said, most of us find that training in the heat better prepares us for competing in the heat. What is not so clear, is whether training in artificial environments such as saunas better prepares us for competing in general, and whether there are long term benefits or adverse effects.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Last edited by: PhilipShambrook: Jan 4, 17 12:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:
... A leading communicator on the science of sauna use ...

What does this mean?
Quote Reply
Re: Heat Training new science.... [Anton84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was just quoting from the actual article. Means what the author intended I suppose, just like leading nutritionist, or leading coach, as we all hear.

Anton84 wrote:
ggeiger wrote:
... A leading communicator on the science of sauna use ...

What does this mean?

I have had really great results training in heat, and have seen where it can add training effect previously. I think the video describes the "why" a bit more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dumb question, maybe -- would a hot tub do? Or a steam room? My local sauna sucks -- especially out of the pool, I freeze in that thing -- but the steam room is nice. Is there something about dry heat that makes this effective, or would water/steam work as well?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got it. I'm not arguing the merits here one way or the other (although I am usually pretty skeptical about anything that offers great results with little effort). I just though that "lead communicator" sounds odd - lead researcher/analyst sounds credible ... not sure what to make of "lead communicator".
Quote Reply
Re: Heat Training new science.... [Anton84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anton84 wrote:
Got it. I'm not arguing the merits here one way or the other (although I am usually pretty skeptical about anything that offers great results with little effort). I just though that "lead communicator" sounds odd - lead researcher/analyst sounds credible ... not sure what to make of "lead communicator".

That phrase gave me pause as well; it sounds made-up because it is. No self respecting scientist or academic would use a term like that in a professional setting.

Doesn't matter, I don't have access to a sauna anyway...

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Last edited by: CCF: Jan 4, 17 16:32
Quote Reply
Re: Heat Training new science.... [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CCF wrote:
Anton84 wrote:

That phrase gave me pause as well; it sounds made-up because it is. No self respecting scientist or academic would use a term like that in a professional setting.

I thought it was a phrase that the author of the article made up; not the scientist.

I have had great success in the past with heat training, but without any science just thought it was individual.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did this in 2014 before a race in a warm climate while I was training in Michigan in 40-50 deg weather.

It worked really well as I had the best run ever in a HIM by 5 minutes

I should have done it again for other races but I just got too occupied with other things :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wonder if this has anything to do with blood plasma expansion and if you can use the sauna to make it happen. I have noted that after doing hot weather races like St. Croix or Kona, immediately after coming home to Ottawa Canada, and riding the CT in the basement, I produce the same FTP range wattage (short bursts, it's not like I am doing full out sessions after tough racing) producing hardly any sweat. That lasts for around 10 days after I come back after which my body transforms back to "cold weather resident" and I am back to producing more sweat.

Last winter was the first winter in my life that I did not work out AT ALL outdoors. In fact, I barely spent more than 30 seconds per day outdoors, going from parking lot to office only. The rest of the time in 20-25C temps indoors, or in the pool, or on the CT. It was the first winter in my life when I hardly noticed the heat on the CT and I was doing some good watts. I chalked it out to being adapted "day to day" to always being in temperate.....but I realize I was doing a daily sauna after swimming for my physio/stretch routine.
Quote Reply
Re: Heat Training new science.... [jstonebarger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The problem with steam rooms is that they don't get hot enough for the theorized effect. . . steam rooms 110 degree, sauna 170 degrees.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Heat Training new science.... [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Being heat acclimated enhances endurance by the following mechanisms…
  1. It increases plasma volume and blood flow to the heart (stroke volume).2, 5 This results in reduced cardiovascular strain and lowers the heart rate for the same given workload.2 These cardiovascular improvements have been shown to enhance endurance in both highly trained and untrained athletes.2,5, 6
  2. It increases blood flow to the skeletal muscles, keeping them fueled with glucose, esterified fatty acids, and oxygen while removing by-products of the metabolic process such as lactic acid. The increased delivery of nutrients to muscles reduces their dependence on glycogen stores. Endurance athletes often hit a “wall” (or “bonk”) when they have depleted their muscle glycogen stores. Hyperthermic conditioning has been shown to reduce muscle glycogen use by 40%-50% compared to before heat acclimation.3, 7 This is presumably due to the increased blood flow to the muscles.3 In addition, lactate accumulation in blood and muscle during exercise is reduced after heat acclimation.5
  3. It improves thermoregulatory control, which operates by activating the sympathetic nervous system and increasing the blood flow to the skin and, thus the sweat rate. This dissipates some of the core body heat. After acclimation, sweating occurs at a lower core temperature and the sweat rate is maintained for a longer period.2"

devashish_paul wrote:
I wonder if this has anything to do with blood plasma expansion and if you can use the sauna to make it happen. I have noted that after doing hot weather races like St. Croix or Kona, immediately after coming home to Ottawa Canada, and riding the CT in the basement, I produce the same FTP range wattage (short bursts, it's not like I am doing full out sessions after tough racing) producing hardly any sweat. That lasts for around 10 days after I come back after which my body transforms back to "cold weather resident" and I am back to producing more sweat.

Last winter was the first winter in my life that I did not work out AT ALL outdoors. In fact, I barely spent more than 30 seconds per day outdoors, going from parking lot to office only. The rest of the time in 20-25C temps indoors, or in the pool, or on the CT. It was the first winter in my life when I hardly noticed the heat on the CT and I was doing some good watts. I chalked it out to being adapted "day to day" to always being in temperate.....but I realize I was doing a daily sauna after swimming for my physio/stretch routine.
Quote Reply
Re: Heat Training new science.... [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
david wrote:
The problem with steam rooms is that they don't get hot enough for the theorized effect. . . steam rooms 110 degree, sauna 170 degrees.

Yet the sauna often feels like nothing while the steam room can be killer hot.

Water heats and cools us a lot faster than dry air. At my gym people will often sit in the sauna for 20-30 minutes at a time. Few last half that in the steam room. The steam room certainly seems to raise my core temp more -- I'm just wondering if dry vs. wet makes a difference with these specific adaptations.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A third attempt at a google search revealed that at least the good doctor thinks steam heat works as well (from a comments list on her website):

Rhonda Patrick, PhD[S] 2 points3 points4 points 2 years ago

Most studies using sauna were dry sauna, it's applicable to wet sauna as well and I think, to a lesser extent, hot tub. I'm hoping that this article will instigate more research on heat stress. You can't patent a sauna and this directly effects the volume of research in the field.

Interesting candor about the profit-motive requisite to research these days, too.
Last edited by: jstonebarger: Jan 5, 17 10:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jstonebarger wrote:
david wrote:

Water heats and cools us a lot faster than dry air. At my gym people will often sit in the sauna for 20-30 minutes at a time. Few last half that in the steam room. The steam room certainly seems to raise my core temp more -- I'm just wondering if dry vs. wet makes a difference with these specific adaptations.

The air in a steam room is saturated with water vapor preventing one from cooling themselves by evaporation. By law they aren't allowed to have the temperature over 110*F as one would overheat too easily. In a dry sauna as long as one is hydrated sufficiently evaporative cooling does an outstanding job at keeping skin temperatures in check. I suspect time spent in a steam room might be somewhat to very effective in inducing positive improvements as well.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Heat Training new science.... [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
jstonebarger wrote:
david wrote:

The air in a steam room is saturated with water vapor preventing one from cooling themselves by evaporation. By law they aren't allowed to have the temperature over 110*F as one would overheat too easily. In a dry sauna as long as one is hydrated sufficiently evaporative cooling does an outstanding job at keeping skin temperatures in check. I suspect time spent in a steam room might be somewhat to very effective in inducing positive improvements as well.

Hugh

The steam room alternatively known as St. Croix, Houston, Tokyo and Taipei in the summer all work really well :-) So yes, I agree.
Quote Reply

Prev Next