Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Headphones for trainer
Quote | Reply
Living in Minnesota requires a fair amount of time on the trainer in the early morning or late evening when I prefer to not have the TV or music on too loud and disturb everyone else. Does anyone have any suggestions for headphones, probably prefer wireless, possibly BT that have a good mix of sound quality, durability (hold up to sweat), and comfort/stays in place.

Any suggestions?

Jeff Vanis' Blog | Challenge Family USA - Use code JVTRI15 to save 10% off your entry
Quote Reply
Re: Headphones for trainer [jvanistri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A lot of people rave about http://www.jaybirdsport.com/...luetooth-headphones/ , but to me they are kinda pricey.
I use an old model Motorola BT headset http://www.amazon.com/...ef=pd_rhf_gw_p_img_9
they suit my needs for the trainer, and they were only $35, had them for 2 years with no issues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I found 2 types that work well. Disclaimer, I am not an audiophile, just looking for something so I can hear my show/movie on the trainer.

1. most brands of cheap over the ear work fine. They get sweaty and wet, so i hang them in front of my fan afterward to dry. Most seem to hold up well, lasting a year or more. Then just pitch them, as they are cheap. I suspect the bacteria/mold inside the pads was pretty high, best not to think about it.

2. I have a pair of power beats; a little cooler than over the ear but much more expensive. Very good sound quality. Not wireless, but the cord come with a pretty long extension.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jvanistri wrote:
Living in Minnesota requires a fair amount of time on the trainer in the early morning or late evening when I prefer to not have the TV or music on too loud and disturb everyone else. Does anyone have any suggestions for headphones, probably prefer wireless, possibly BT that have a good mix of sound quality, durability (hold up to sweat), and comfort/stays in place.

Any suggestions?

Bluetooth - Jaybirds are the best but bulky.

Wired ($$$$) - Yurbuds, they really do not fall out but they are pricey.

Wired ($) - X-1 Audio, hold well, sound good, great quality for the price.

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jaybird Bluebuds X work well for me. I use a cheap bluetooth transmitter I bought on Amazon plugged into the PC. I generally get about 4-5 60-90 minute rides before I toss both on charge.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got the Yurbuds BT over the ear, Inspire(?), and haven't used them on the bike but on the treadmill they stay on great. The rubber earpiece covers come off so you can clean them and it also helps keep sweat off the actual speaker. Got mine on cyber Monday so the price was good but keep an eye out for coupons or discount codes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had a set of BT wireless LG HBS-730 headphones for a year that I've used for a quite a bit of time on the trainer and treadmill.

They work great on the trainer, on the treadmill I find they bounce around a bit too much unless I tuck them into my shirt.

cheers - mark
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got the PowerBeats 2 by Dre.

They've just updated the software to fix the audio lag with video and I really like them.

twomarks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just rock the Beats Solo 2.

If I'm riding inside I want a decent (obviously these aren't top shelf) audio experience. In ear for outside, but on the ear for inside.

The earpad foam gets a little damp, but its been months with no ill effects.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bose SoundSport. they aren't wireless, but they sound great, fit well and are good with sweat

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Highly recommend mpow bluetooth headsets. You can get them from Amazon. Cheap and work really well and sound quality is really good and better than some higher quality headphones I've used.

Didn't have much expectation when I bought them but they way exceeded all my expectation and would get another pair if mine break.

SmartBikeTrainers.com || YouTube || My Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Headphones for trainer [JTolandTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JTolandTRI wrote:
Jaybird Bluebuds X work well for me. I use a cheap bluetooth transmitter I bought on Amazon plugged into the PC. I generally get about 4-5 60-90 minute rides before I toss both on charge.

this is my setup as well, though I plug the BT transmitter into a TV as I Chromecast Netflix.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a cheapo pair of BT earphones on Amazon that seem to work ok. I doubt they will work too well for running (the volume controls/microphone/battery is bulky and may bounce around), but they should be fine on the trainer. I bought them for under $20, so if they die quickly I'm not out very much. They claim to get 5 hrs/charge, but I haven't pushed them past about 1 1/2.

They are in-ear style, which work ok for me, but some people might have issues with them falling out, especially if you sweat a lot. The sound quality is so-so and they are a bit bass-y, and I doubt they will last longer than a year, but they currently cost $20.49 on amazon so you can get 4-6 pairs for the price of the Jaybirds.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OZAD4JA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.amazon.ca/...i_detailpage_o00_s00

$29!

The reviews were great, i was skeptical, but for $29 i thought why not.

Love these things... and if they wear down eventually i dont really care, they were so cheap.
Quote Reply
Re: Headphones for trainer [vancity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wish I would of seen the $29 options in this thread before buying mine. Spent $62 on Audio-Technica ATH-M30 from Amazon, and they are overkill.

They block the wind noise from two powerful fans (not desk fans like you see in an office, but one step shy of air cannons from Home Depot / Lowes) and go as loud as I need them to. Not sure if it matters, but they are plugged into a stereo, not a computer.
Quote Reply
Re: Headphones for trainer [TryScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use a pair of $10 in the ear Sony cheapos I get at Staples. Sound is okay and they last about 2 years. For $10 you can't beat them.
Quote Reply
Re: Headphones for trainer [mattr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I sweat like a hooker in church. I've had to send my Jaybirds in to be covered under their sweat proof guarantee on three different occasions. I always wear a hat or sweatband and still soak the things.

Anybody found a set of headphones (preferably Bluetooth) that are truly sweatproof?

Right now I run with Pyle sports waterproof MP3 headphones. They're made for swimming and so far have held up to me sweating all over them, but I'd love a BT option.
Last edited by: ClydeMonster: Jan 19, 15 18:35
Quote Reply
Re: Headphones for trainer [ClydeMonster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've burned through 2x Plantronics BackBeat Go 2 so scratch them off the Bluetooth options list. I too need buds because those over the ear ones are a catch for my profuse sweating! I was hoping the Jaybirds were a bit better than that as I was going to replace these when they die out of warranty the next time. Shame ...

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For headphones you can sweat in, especially on a trainer I prefer a simple and easy vertical headband headphone, like sony mdr-w08L or sonxtronic xdr-8000 or sonxtronic xdr-8001.

They don't fill up with sweat like earbuds or most other sport headphones and let my ears stay cool and comfortable.
http://www.sonxtronic.com/
http://www.sonxtronicxdr8000.com/
http://www.amazon.com/...-keywords=sonxtronic

They are pretty cheap and easy and light and don't fall out. no charging, no radiation, no static and plug is gold so think it wont corrode with sweat. great reviews.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you can suffer with the cord, the bose earbuds are pretty great. You can remove the ear pieces and clean them out. PLus they have a good quality sound with them.

2020 Team Zoot MTN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for the Bose Soundsport. Amazon just dropped the price $15 (a week after a bought them). I tried the Jaybird Bluebuds and while they fit and sound great, they did skip every once in a while and drained my phone battery pretty quickly.

The Bose "sit" on your ear, so they fit a bit differently but they sound great and I have had zero issues with them moving or falling out, either on the trainer or running.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been using the Motorola SD-10's for years on my trainer. I'm very happy with them.

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just get the Jaybird Sport. I have also owned the Bluebuds from Jaybird, but I prefer the sport because of the ear clips (the bluebuds don't have any earclip adapters, so they keep coming loose on those long workouts. Sound quality is identical.

Keep track of your receipt, as these are definitely NOT bulletproof, despite what their ads seem to claim. I have killed a Sport as well as a Bluebuds despite never rinsing or submerging them; I think sweat can work its way into the USB or power hole (even though they are covered) and fry it. But Jaybird is solid about honoring warrantees if you're under one, so you'll be good for at least a year. My current pair is going nearly 2 years strong. (I killed a pair of Bluebuds in 1 month!)

A possible backup is the cheap similar knockoffs on Amazon. I don't own them, but in retrospect, I would have bought one of these when I shipped my broken Jaybirds for a replacement (took about 1.5wks.)

I've gone 3.5hrs on my trainer with both, no battery issues at all.
Last edited by: lightheir: Feb 5, 15 16:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jvanistri wrote:

Any suggestions?

I've gone thru so many across all price ranges.. To me, headphones are disposable. I get the cheapest ones I can find that look comfortable. I buy several and just toss em after they quit! No sense stressing. Ymmv

---------------
It's not about what you've done, it's about what you're doing!
@trecca17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another Bose fan here. I've had mine for about 1.5 years and they have been great. Accidentally washed them about 6 months ago and they continue to work fine so the water resistance does work.
Quote Reply

Prev Next