Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hawaii Worlds Epic Battle....
Quote | Reply
There's been a lot of chitchat about this years worlds and all the drafting and overcrowding, and most all of it is true. But what you won't hear, is that in the middle of all that mayhem, there was a truly classic battle that was played out between two of the sports great legends. One you will know, and one you probably won't, unless you were doing triathlons before 1995. Here is my race report;

Morning of the race I'm racking my bike, and across from me I see my old friend Scott Molina. Scott needs no introduction, probably the winningest pro of all time, and overall amateur winner of two Ironmans this year. We shake hands, and agree to have a few beers after the race( couldn't find you buddy, but drank to your great race anyway). Then right before the start, another old friend from Mexico emerges from the crowd, Ricardo Gonzalez, also just turned 45 like Scott. He is Mexico's equilevant of Scott Molina, the winningest pro they ever produced, and just an all round nice guy. I raced in Mexico a lot in my career, and he would be ever present, and usually dominate the world class fields. We shake hands quickly, and he looks at me and says,"Looks like it's gonna be a fast swim." Race starts off at a blistering pace, and 5 of us get away into a lead pack. First time since I began racing age group that I got to swim in a pack of more than two, and this one is hauling ass, and I don't have to pull. After the first loop we begin to lap the slower swimmers from the other heats, and it is one fine mess. This is a really tight course, with a lot of 90 degree turns, so there was a lot of head thumping and suit grabbing going on. I was riding Ricardo and Molina until we all hit the breast strokers with about 600 to go, and I lost them.

Molina exits ahead of Ricardo by a couple seconds, but Ricardo bolts out of transition and gets a 25 second jump. It takes Molina about half the ride to close it down, and he puts a small gap on Ricardo going into T2. Meanwhile I pass a couple guys, and a couple pass me, holding onto a top 10 spot into T2. Ricardo blazes the T2 transition, and once again passes Scott while he is idle. It takes him almost half the run to close it down, and Ricardo tells me the next 3k is just hanging onto Molina while he puts the hammer down. I'm out there somewhere running myself into 19th, when I hear the announcer yell out that Scott Molina has just won the 45-49 age group. It's not till later that I see Ricardo at an internet cafe, where he tells me the story of how he won the race, in the final sprint by a couple seconds. I seem to remember that he beat Simon Lessing in a race in Mexico in a final sprint, so it doesn't surprise me. They post two of the fastest legit times of the day( I'm throwing out a lot of the younger guys times, since they were in the draft legal race), and had a battle a kin to the Ironwar of '89 between Mark and Dave.

Welcome to the age group guys, I think I'll leave it now.......
Quote Reply
Re: Hawaii Worlds Epic Battle.... [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark,

Great story. I was thinking of making a bit of a come-back myself next year at age 45, but perhaps not given the talent that's around. Life on the sidelines is pretty nice! Maybe I'll just stay here.

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the report Monty. All the waves have drafting packs out on the bike? It looked like the men's 40-44 was a good race as well. Your last sentence.... Does that mean your not racing Ag at all? Or just worlds?

Jim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Monty, I was looking at the results, and effectively our man Skid gave away the race with slower transitions ? Seriously, Ricardo really blew his socks off in transition. This guy is the Terminator, how could he have such "Lame" transitions. I think you have to put him back on the USTS circuit. All this Ironman racing and he's taking T1 and T2 like they are Cuban cigar breaks....

Congrats to Skid and Ricardo. Thanks for the details on the Epic battle.

Its really cool to see all these ex pros duking it out. This is what is cool about triathlon.

We need the Masters Pro division with some big ass prize money and none of this "training 6 hours per week". Everyone has to show up on race day with a training log certifying 30 hour training weeks and zero tapering...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Monty, I say the results and said wow, that must have been a race.

Now, what happened to Scott? He beat Ricardo in all three events, but totally got his butt kicked in T1. With Scotts background, something funny must have happened since Scott is known to have every detail down. As was posted in a thread about bike being aero, get the "free" time by kicking butt in the transistions before you worry about the 1% edge of the bike.

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Hawaii Worlds Epic Battle.... [jman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
/Your last sentence.... Does that mean your not racing Ag at all? Or just worlds? /

I'll quit racing when they pry my cold, dead fingers off my bike. I'm turning 50, so that was my last race with the youngsters, I get my AARP card now.I t's a bit disconcerning about the way ITU puts on its races, and next year is going to be a 3 loop bike course. If they are not going to enforce drafting, then just make it legal. This inbetween race where half are doing it(and getting away with it) and half are not, just pisses everyone off. But now that I've done a few of their events, it is very clear to me that it is not about the athlete and their races, it is about them, and their image outside our little community. I went to duathlon worlds this year, and for 200 bucks we didn't even get a T-shirt. I say burn it down, and start all over......
Last edited by: monty: Oct 13, 05 14:01
Quote Reply
Re: Hawaii Worlds Epic Battle.... [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
...As the drill sergeant tells the cadet as he pick a flint of dust out of some random corner of the barracks and yells at him, "THE DEVIL IS IN THE DETAILS"
Quote Reply
Re: Hawaii Worlds Epic Battle.... [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am just interested in the details so I can see if I can use the knowledge to improve my T times

dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

I'll quit racing when they pry my cold, dead fingers off my bike. I'm turning 50, so that was my last race with the youngsters, I get my AARP card now.I

50 years old?

Dude, you´re one helluva fast and furious oldie:)

Next time I´m coming to Xanthusia to train, I better bring my raceflats! How´s the poolproject going btw?

It´s truly inspiring to see a lot of the original players in our sport still duke it out like they do and the never-say-die attitude. Class-acts!
Quote Reply
Re: Hawaii Worlds Epic Battle.... [Jonas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Jonas, good to hear from you, and congrats on your strong victory in Italy. The pool is being grouted as we speak, and the hot tub on the hill has a stairway to heaven to get to it now.

Yes, the next time you come, be ready. This was the third season since my heart surgery, and I feel that I'm ready to put in some of the old efforts. Training 10 hours a week has made racing a real challenge, but it was all I could do. But now the doc says do what I feel like, I will either be ok, or die. No more pushing fat, old Monty around. The new improved, Full Monty is coming to race next year.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ya know....... do we all have to do each race to the very utmost of our ability in every single respect in order to avoid criticism?? How about my late-night carousing the night(s) before?? How about the silly training I did all week? How about the bogie boarding and watersliude park trip the day before?? Just because a guy takes it a bit cruisy here or there doesn't mean he ain't generally going hard and also having fun. I'm sure we've all had races where we just wanted to get out there and do it, go hard cuz going hard feels great and that's all there is too it. I certainly don't mean any disrespect to any one by not screaming through transitions like a banshee on fire. I just like doing races like I like to do them and whatever place I get or time I get is just fine with me. I hope you all can learn to enjoy your races as much as I enjoy mine. Here's to another 25 years of racing! :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Hawaii Worlds Epic Battle.... [skid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scott,

Great post. That's what it really is all about.

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Hawaii Worlds Epic Battle.... [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good, cuz then we can still here bout the good ol days...........not today.

t~
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're scaring me!

Seriously, I forgot to mention you looked damned fit at Pac Coast. And, I saw you running along the beach, there. You were generating a sand wake behind you!

See ya next season, Monty.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The battle you didn't see:

while you guys were duking it out up front I was trying to gradually make a move up. After a terrible swim, I came out about 4 minutes down from you guys, I put the hammer down on the bike and started moving up. Every once in a while I would glance behind to see if I had picked up any leeches and sure enough had an Aussie guy riding my wheel after 3 miles. He stayed there until the hill at the turn around, when he finally went by and I never saw him again until the run. He was the only bike to pass me on course. A check at the turn around had Monty about 1:30 ahead still and with some quick math I figured I could possibly catch him by the end of the bike. I caught several large packs (15+ riders) and just blew through them. I was amazed at some of these guys and their obvious drafting. As I was catching this once duo, the front guy pulled out to pass another rider and the guy on his wheel followed right along, staying about 6 inches from his wheel the whole time. Didn't see what country he was from, but he had an all red uniform on (not the multi colored red of Canada). Blew by them and had some words that weren't quite encouraging for the drafter. When we came to the final downhill on Diamondhead, I still hadn't caught Monty. Even though I am usually a bit reserved on the downhills, I let it rip on this one was cruised down it holding just over 40mph. Came around the downhill curve and there was my training partner Mike Lyle wiped out on the side of the road. Never did catch Monty on the bike. Started the run feeling pretty good and figured I would just run Monty down since that his weakest event. Unfortunetely for me, the run is also my weakest event now because of the bad knee. Gradually started reeling Monty in, but it seemed the closer I got, the harder it became to finally close the gap. By the halfway of the run, I was really suffering. As I got closer to Monty, I actually thought about going by on the other side of the road from him so he wouldn't see me and try to go with me but decided to take my chances. Went by and we stayed close the rest of the way to the finish as we pretty much felt like we were running in quicksand. Wasn't a great race, but I was happy with it. Here's to the off season and renewed hope of improvement.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Re: Hawaii Worlds Epic Battle.... [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Mike,

If Scott and Ricardo were reminisent of the '89 Ironwar, then you and I were Foreman and Frasier, they way they would fight today. It was actually quite funny when I saw you on the first lap of the run at around 3k. I just figured you would be coming by my slugish ass in a k or two. When I got to 8 k and you were just getting there, I knew you were hurting too, and I laughed to myself, should I go with the killer 8 minute pace, or just suffer to the finish. I decided to suffer on, but when you started coming back to me in the final 1/4 mile, I put in a big 7:30 surge. Mind you, the whole time this battel between heavyweights is going on, we are being passed by slew of other racers. Non the less, the battle was on, and we fought it like it was for all the marbles....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what do you mean "Non the less, the battle was on, and we fought it like it was for all the marbles.... "

it was for all the marbles. ;-)

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Re: Hawaii Worlds Epic Battle.... [skid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey man, congrats on a great race at World's and good luck at Kona.

If it came across the wrong way, I did not mean to sound critical. Holy crap, how can a poser like me "criticize" someone like Molina about transitions.

I just found it amusing as I always tell athletes that I mentor that the easiest way to pick up speed for free is in transition. Sorry for using your race as an example.

In any event, I've been inspired by your racing. Everything from USTS, WTT in Tahoe, Nice, Hawaii etc etc and all your recent accomplishments. Please keep em coming. It gives all of us 40 year olds "no excuses"

Again, clean up in Kona on Saturday !
Quote Reply
Re: Hawaii Worlds Epic Battle.... [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Monty, Skid, Mike,
You guys bleepin rock. It's guys like you that keep me going at 10:30 at night after the kids and wife are asleep.
The race logs were awesome. Racing is fun-esp. against someone at or close to the same level. Yeah, I am racing the bop right now but, it's still a race and still a blast. Keep up the great work and the great reports.

Mahalo,
Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Hawaii Worlds Epic Battle.... [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey DP, thanks for the complimentary remarks as always. I'm not replying to you specifically here, just making a general comment - that there's lots of ways and reasons to enter an event. I just hope to make that point clear. I read all the comments about people like Larsen and other people who like being out there doing events having a blast in their own way. That's all.

Cheers,

Skid
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No worries with drafting next year, Monty, worlds are in Lausanne :-) Just train a lot for climbing and descending and you'll be ahead of the competition.
Quote Reply