Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Have you seen resumes w/ "Ironman Finisher" listed?
Quote | Reply
If so, thoughts?

Quote | Reply
Someone I know saw IM finish listed on a resume. He was excited that a triathlete/ IM might be working with him so they could train together. Turns out it was a lie and applicant hadn't done an IM. He asked in the interview was his splits were and guy fessed up he hadn't done one.
Quote Reply
Re: Have you seen resumes w/ "Ironman Finisher" listed? [KathyG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KathyG wrote:
Someone I know saw IM finish listed on a resume. He was excited that a triathlete/ IM might be working with him so they could train together. Turns out it was a lie and applicant hadn't done an IM. He asked in the interview was his splits were and guy fessed up he hadn't done one.

he didn't realize that wouldn't mean anything to anyone except those who are also finishers haha!

-Jason
Quote | Reply
I see it a lot on resumes and I think its great. Never hear negative aspects for including it under hobby or interests.
Quote Reply
Re: Have you seen resumes w/ "Ironman Finisher" listed? [ndrfnnut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seeing that gives me a mental picture (mostly positive) of the person's dedication to something, outlook, pride in a job well done. I know other's will see it almost in the same light as the "M-dot" tattoo, but imagine if someone put: cross fit instructor or former US Ski team member, etc. In the end it may have no bearing on who they are or how they will do the job, but depending on your field it can also give some credibility.

Re: Have you seen resumes w/ "Ironman Finisher" listed? [ndrfnnut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Peaks the interest a bit, maybe move them to the "call back" pile, but that's about it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have 6 X Ironman Finisher on my resume. I used to work for a management consulting firm that specialized in fitting certain personality types with certain jobs, and to me, Ironman Finisher typically denotes someone who is goal-oriented, focused, persistent, etc. In other words not your typical lazy worker bee. Not only that, I have found that plenty of folks are curious about it (where, when, for God's sake WHY?!?) and that can lead to good conversation during an otherwise humdrum interview. Helps you stand out from the crowd.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ndrfnnut wrote:
If so, thoughts?

So I'm riding along on my TT bike and at a red light another guy, also on a p3 pulls up next to me.

With ALL the water bottles. 2 behind the seat, and a speedfil in the frame. ready for the apocalypse.

then I see it - Mdot tattoo on the calf.

well that does it, now we must play NONE SHALL PASS.

good workout. thankfully I am full time roadie now or I do not think I would have won.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup, have seen it. I like it, as I do triathlons.

I know that in my field, healthcare, a lot of employers do not want to hear that they're going to be employing someone who gladly states they could be spending 12+ hrs per week training instead of working. I find that extremely short-sighted, but it's unfortunately a reality. Even if you've got the academic credentials to justify it.

I really tone down my sports exploits nowadays in interviews. I still list it and invariably get asked about it, but it's more of a 'have-done great experience that I don't have as much time for since I work so much' on interview day, even if I'm training just as hard now as I did before.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My boss was recently going through resumes and put a resume in the no pile because it had triathlon under hobbies/interests. I told him what I thought about that and he said his impression of triathletes is that triathlon is all they care about. He's a runner too. I reminded him that I'm a triathlete (never done a full but some halfs and olympics) and it didn't change his opinion. Maybe I should be looking for a new job... anyway I would still put it on there, I would say there are more people who look at it as a positive or neutral rather than a negative.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've seen it before, have also seen "ING New York City Marathon Finisher but didn't bring it up in either interview until the very end as I wanted to discuss the job and situational questions that would be relevant first.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have it on my resume. I ended up spending an entire portion of an interview talking about triathlon with the woman that was interviewing me because she had done a few as well. Didn't get the job, but that was because I sucked at the rest of the interview.

I don't think it is a bad thing. People seem to be generally interested in it, they ask a question or two and then move on. I think it shows dedication, etc as others have said.
Quote Reply
Re: Have you seen resumes w/ "Ironman Finisher" listed? [G Mac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah, there will be a few people who see it is a negative, but you probably don't want to work there anyway. A friend of mine used to do workouts at lunch, and his boss said he had to stop.

that would be the kind of crap you would deal with if your resume went in the NO pile because you listed fitness as a hobby.

however it IS a bit pretentious to list ironman finisher, rather than just "triathlon" as a hobby.

but then I roll around deep carbon wheels in cat4 bike races so can I talk?

=)

Last edited by: jackmott: Mar 2, 12 6:33
Quote Reply
Re: Have you seen resumes w/ "Ironman Finisher" listed? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
yeah, there will be a few people who see it is a negative, but you probably don't want to work there anyway. A friend of mine used to do workouts at lunch, and his boss said he had to stop.

that would be the kind of crap you would deal with if your resume went in the NO pile because you listed fitness as a hobby.

however it IS a bit pretentious to list ironman finisher, rather than just "triathlon" as a hobby.

=)

You hit the nail on the head! If they don't want a "triathlete", then a "triathlete" doesn't want them!

That goes for most hobbies/passions. Just like a smoker isn't going to be happy at a smoke free workplace, and a vegetarian won't be happy working at the butcher shop.

Austin Hardy -

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally I'd react more positively if the resume said "Ironman competitor" or "Triathlete".
"Ironman Finisher" makes me wonder: Is this someone who is satisfied with simply accomplishing a task, rather than someone driven to do their best while accomplishing a task?
I'd have a series of questions to uncover that answer.
"Marathon runner" or "Runner": positive.
"Marathon finisher": ?
That's just me, though. The resume would neither move up nor down based on that phrase.
Quote Reply
Re: Have you seen resumes w/ "Ironman Finisher" listed? [caf0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I see you fnished a marathon? what was your time?"
"4:01"
"ohhh, so sorry, sub 4 or get out of here!"

=)

caf0 wrote:
Personally I'd react more positively if the resume said "Ironman competitor" or "Triathlete".
"Ironman Finisher" makes me wonder: Is this someone who is satisfied with simply accomplishing a task, rather than someone driven to do their best while accomplishing a task?
That's just me, though. The resume would neither move up nor down based on that phrase.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd might read it as someone who will spend 10+ hours a week training and may or may not let their job duties lag while in heavy training. Plus, depending on location, may want "special privileges" when it's time to race. Plus you have the "typical attitude" of an athlete who needs to tell you they do IMs which may not jive with the workplace. It does tell you alot about their personality.

I'd much rather see a more generic "likes to compete in triathlon and running races" or something. It's more approachable, you're not alienating a prospective HR person, resume screener or future boss who may not be able to do an IM for any number of reasons.
Quote Reply
Re: Have you seen resumes w/ "Ironman Finisher" listed? [G Mac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
G Mac wrote:
My boss was recently going through resumes and put a resume in the no pile because it had triathlon under hobbies/interests. I told him what I thought about that and he said his impression of triathletes is that triathlon is all they care about. He's a runner too. I reminded him that I'm a triathlete (never done a full but some halfs and olympics) and it didn't change his opinion. Maybe I should be looking for a new job... anyway I would still put it on there, I would say there are more people who look at it as a positive or neutral rather than a negative.

As has been said, if someone doesn't want me to work there because I'm dedicated to working out way too much, I don't want to work there. A swim and ride before work and a run at lunch means I'm alert and attentive for the day, not that I DGAF about my work.
Quote Reply
Re: Have you seen resumes w/ "Ironman Finisher" listed? [Aust1227] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aust1227 wrote:
jackmott wrote:

=)

You hit the nail on the head! If they don't want a "triathlete", then a "triathlete" doesn't want them!

That goes for most hobbies/passions. Just like a smoker isn't going to be happy at a smoke free workplace, and a vegetarian won't be happy working at the butcher shop.

I have it on mine for exactly that reason. I want them to know what they are getting. Some see it positively. I have been turned down by some because they see it as a negative. That's cool, I don't want to work with those losers anyway.

To some degree high tech is a young man's sport. In my team, the guys in their mid to late 40's driving the hardest are actually athletes too....marathon runners, soccer players, gym rats and myself in triathlon. Most of the guys can't keep up with our pace....it's all good. They just don't have the energy we have (most of us have the energy of a 22 year old, and the experience and business savvy from 2 decades in the trenches....hard to beat that combination). Any employer who can't see that does not deserve my energy, drive and intellect. There are plenty of places that I can work who will see the benefit of having this category of employee.

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Have you seen resumes w/ "Ironman Finisher" listed? [npage148] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in the camp of stating that Triathlon is a "hobby" / "activity" that I have an interest in. Or state you "do" Triathlons. Stating that you are an Ironman finisher, to me, would be like putting your time and I think that is pretentious.

Indicating what your interests are is a good thing and should help you to get picked in the initial weeding out process.

I include skiing on my resume but don't state that I ski 2 to 4 times a week and generally ski off-piste, have exceeded 80 kph and prefer black and double black areas. Too much information.

But, beware, when I read these things on a resume there is a better than even chance that I will ask you about it and quickly find your interest level. From an interview perspective, asking something about an activity like this let's me gauge your interest level, then I can compare that to the interest shown when we talk about the job. And if I don't see a "similar" interest level then you be in trouble.

BC Don
Pain is temporary, not giving it your all lasts all Winter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Im in the surgical field and when i have it in mine that i am a Triathlete. When i go for interviews they always ask about it and why i put it in there and the best answer i tell them is " I am a very motivated person and whatever i put my mind to i try and do it as hard as i can plus i just don't like to finish but i want to finish with a bang". As long as you come up with a great catch with it you should put it in your resume. just my 2 cents

-------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Have you seen resumes w/ "Ironman Finisher" listed? [caf0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
caf0 wrote:

Here is another thought.

In High School and University, the guy or girl who played varsity sports and got straight A's was the hero.

The business world does not have these quantifiable metrics as there are in high school and university where excellence is clearly rewarded and to some degree mediocrity is punished. In the business world, to some degree, there is a lot of mediocrity that is accepted as there is often not a direct way to quantifying relative merit, unless you are working in a sales or executive position where the numbers speak.

You might be interviewing with someone in the mediocre camp, who was in that group in high school and university. They probably really don't want that many people on their team who played varsity sports and got A's in French and Calculus and Renaissance History, and also partied pretty hard and pulled it all off.....it makes them feel threatened. That's great....you don't want to work there either. You want to work for the guys who did play varsity and were top of their class. They will see the value of your athletic pursuits, because they know from a young age what excellence is all about. It was driven into their heads in youth. They will get it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had it on my resume a long time ago. I interviewed with one of the guys who would be my boss (former stanford swimmer). His only comment on my mention of triathlon (not that it matters, but i went 9:XX in hawaii) was "that swim time isn't very good." The rest of the interview wasn't much better, glad I didn't end up getting that job, the guy was a dick.
Quote Reply
Re: Have you seen resumes w/ "Ironman Finisher" listed? [BCDon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been at the same company for 6 years now. I was actually just updating my resume a few weeks back with my current job info. I ended up putting Ironman in there. I've done a few tri's, but the Ironman races stick out for sure. Granted, I haven't sent my resume out to anyone in 6 years, but I will keep it in there if/when I eventually do. I have an "Activities" section at the bottom of my resume. Here are two of my three:

Runner – Have completed several ½ marathons, marathons and ultra-running events all over the world
Triathlete - Have completed multiple Sprint, Olympic, ½ Ironman, and full Ironman distance races
Quote Reply
Re: Have you seen resumes w/ "Ironman Finisher" listed? [fzzl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fzzl wrote:
I had it on my resume a long time ago. I interviewed with one of the guys who would be my boss (former stanford swimmer). His only comment on my mention of triathlon (not that it matters, but i went 9:XX in hawaii) was "that swim time isn't very good." The rest of the interview wasn't much better, glad I didn't end up getting that job, the guy was a dick.

or that guy was hilarious!
by the way, excellent backdoor brag, which I think is justified. you go sub 10 at kona you can brag!

Quote Reply

Prev Next