Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Have you experienced "rolling coal"?
Quote | Reply
I live in a semi rural area, and we have a lot of red necks riding around in these tuned up and tricked out diesel pickup trucks. Recently it seems that a lot of them have affixed some sort of exhaust mechanism that allows the truck to spew thick black smoke out of the tail pipes. Even more troubling is that these degenerates have taken a liking to targeting runners and cyclist with this trick. Ill be riding or running by and one of these assholes will slow down, flip a switch, rev up their V8 turbodiesel 355 hemi magnum and shoot this shit right at me. It is some of the most abhorrent, anti-social, degenerate behavior I have ever encountered. Further research on my part has revealed that this is actually called "rolling coal" and is sort of a thing with these guys. Have any of you experienced any of this while out? Who here has any suggestions for counter measures or action I can take on my part when I encounter this. It makes me so mad that it literally ruins my enjoyment of my ride or run for the rest of the time.
Last edited by: crujones#33: May 4, 15 11:38
Quote Reply
Re: Have you experienced "rolling coal"? [crujones#33] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I feel for you, but I don't have any solutions. However, it could be worse: a cracker in a truck pointing a loaded gun at your face.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Urban Dictionary isn't too far off yours. Makes for a good laugh.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/...?term=Rollin%27+Coal

Unfortunate though they feel the need to target runners and cyclists.

--------------------------------------------------
Non-Swimming Duathlete
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've gotten it once. A front and rear camera on your bike so you can document it and get license plates is your best counter measure.

http://thecolbertreport.cc.com/.../bfvmgh/coal-rolling
Last edited by: kny: May 3, 15 10:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't been targeted personally but I've seen one of said pickups do exactly what you describe to a Prius. Really pissed me off for a variety of reasons. It's illegal under the Clean Air Act fwiw. I'd take down their license plate number and report them to the EPA. You'll probably be ignored at first but if enough people do it the EPA will do something... probably track down the shops that installed said devices and fine them/bankrupt them.
Quote Reply
Re: Have you experienced "rolling coal"? [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kny wrote:
crujones#33 wrote:
I live in a semi rural area, and we have a lot of red neck crackers riding around in these tuned up and tricked out diesel pickup trucks. Recently it seems that a lot of them have affixed some sort of exhaust mechanism that allows the truck to spew thick black smoke out of the tail pipes. Even more troubling is that these degenerates have taken a liking to targeting runners and cyclist with this trick. Ill be riding or running by and one of these assholes will slow down, flip a switch, rev up their V8 turbodiesel 355 hemi magnum and shoot this shit right at me. It is some of the most abhorrent, anti-social, degenerate behavior I have ever encountered. Further research on my part has revealed that this is actually called "rolling coal" and is sort of a thing with these guys. Have any of you experienced any of this while out? Who here has any suggestions for counter measures or action I can take on my part when I encounter this. It makes me so mad that it literally ruins my enjoyment of my ride or run for the rest of the time.

I've gotten it once. A front and rear camera on your bike so you can document it and get license plates is your best counter measure.

That too. Sue them. Seriously. They've intentionally endangered your health and well-being. A good lawyer should make short work of the case especially considering the modification is illegal.

There are very few things in life that are as effective as hitting someone in their wallet.
Quote Reply
Re: Have you experienced "rolling coal"? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
There are very few things in life that are as effective as hitting someone in their wallet.

x2

And there are very few things in life that are as effective as hitting a corporation that is a bad actor in their wallet.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh dear. I thought that was a euphemism for something more personal in nature….
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This happened to a few of us at IM Boulder last year in the fracking section of the course. Not sure what you can do about, except put it into perspective. These guys get their jollies by blowing smoke at cyclists as they drive away. Not a very "macho" thing to do. We could have pitched a fit at the time, but in the end we got to accomplish a challenging personal goal at the end of the day. What did they accomplish? Not much. I will agree with other folks that if it is a chronic problem, it's easy to get a GoPro and film the incidents and report them. That certainly couldn't hurt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
get it on a gopro!
Quote Reply
Re: Have you experienced "rolling coal"? [rbrnut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rbrnut wrote:
The Urban Dictionary isn't too far off yours. Makes for a good laugh.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/...?term=Rollin%27+Coal

Unfortunate though they feel the need to target runners and cyclists.

Ha, that top entry really has something against Cummins..

Never had it done to me living both in GA and WV (and nj but before this was a thing). In GA near a lake it was just people being reckless with trailers. Here in WV I have not had an issue but a friend/coworker has and thinks this is a terrible place to ride (he just hates the state in general really). I have two diesels, one being a cummins in a jeep wrangler actually, and I'm quite familiar with the sound. Every time I hear a diesel come up behind me I prepare to be in a smoke cloud but so far never happened. From what I can hear people do the same as I do, which is give it a little fuel before coming up on the cyclist and then coast past not getting back on it until well past and even then doing so lightly as not to leave a cloud. Since I have two I'm pretty conscious about not leaving a cloud even 500 ft out that someone might have to ride through. If you know the sound you can tell which ones have a particulate filter and which ones don't has they go past.
Quote Reply
Re: Have you experienced "rolling coal"? [mrtopher1980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
had someone do this to me a month and a half ago, i heard him roll up close beside me on a narrow single lane street and as soon as i saw the side of the truck i knew what was about to happen.

caught up to the prick 2 blocks later while he was stuck at the red light. emptied my water bottle through his open drivers side window before he realized what was happening. casually cut through a park and rode off.

karma can be a b%tch.
Quote Reply
Re: Have you experienced "rolling coal"? [RONDAL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you pee in it first?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
move to canada. its too cold for the necks to get that red here;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
crujones#33 wrote:
I live in a semi rural area, and we have a lot of red neck crackers...

I'm curious why this is acceptable, but if I was complaining about certain drivers in an urban area using a racial generalization....

You know what, nevermind.
Quote Reply
Re: Have you experienced "rolling coal"? [RONDAL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RONDAL wrote:
had someone do this to me a month and a half ago, i heard him roll up close beside me on a narrow single lane street and as soon as i saw the side of the truck i knew what was about to happen.

caught up to the prick 2 blocks later while he was stuck at the red light. emptied my water bottle through his open drivers side window before he realized what was happening. casually cut through a park and rode off.

karma can be a b%tch.

While I don't condone what he did, your idiotic behaviour doesn't help address the problem and could escalate very quickly to get yourself hurt. People like you are probably the reason the drivers hate cyclists to begin with.

Act like an adult
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of the many reasons why it would be a bad idea for me to carry while riding.
Quote Reply
Re: Have you experienced "rolling coal"? [Rambler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rambler wrote:
One of the many reasons why it would be a bad idea for me to carry while riding.

Yup.
Quote Reply
Re: Have you experienced "rolling coal"? [mvenneta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mvenneta wrote:
RONDAL wrote:

karma can be a b%tch.

While I don't condone what he did, your idiotic behaviour doesn't help address the problem and could escalate very quickly to get yourself hurt. People like you are probably the reason the drivers hate cyclists to begin with.

Act like an adult

Appreciate your feedback and i'll take it under advisement.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happened to me earlier this spring. I alternated between being pissed and laughing for the next 15 minutes.

This isn't something I get worked up about. Its immature behavior for sure, but I don't take it personally.

I didn't realize it is an illegal modification though, so I will try to get plates if it ever happens again. That would be sweet revenge.

I don't know what to say about the poster in this thread who would consider shooting someone over this due to their anger. Hopefully it was a tongue in cheek comment.
Quote Reply
Re: Have you experienced "rolling coal"? [TashaSkippy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"That would be sweet revenge."

Sweet revenge would be finding out where they park the thing and shoving a roll of frozen pillsbury chocolate chip cookie dough down the exhaust pipe with a stick.

Quote Reply
Re: Have you experienced "rolling coal"? [mvenneta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mvenneta wrote:
RONDAL wrote:

karma can be a b%tch.

Act like an adult

Do you think people hate cyclists any more than they hate it when a group of bikers are riding slow and blocking traffic? Ever notice how drivers don't seem to pass the bikers as close as possible?

Ever wonder why that might be the case?
Quote Reply
Re: Have you experienced "rolling coal"? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Sue them. Seriously. They've intentionally endangered your health and well-being. A good lawyer should make short work of the case especially considering the modification is illegal.

It may not be worth the time and effort. I suspect the type of person who would have this modification done to his pick up has very little in his wallet as most of his available funds have been invested in the a fore mentioned pickup, maybe a nice gun, and a shit load of beer.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I run farms in rural areas where cyclists are a normal thing on roads and I have had the privilege to be on both sides of this as a rider and a driver. I like the diesel smell so that doesn't really bother me, what sucks is when they have an old truck without emissions equipment, a tuner, or a new truck with the EGR removed and really gun it. Losing visibility in a group or on a curvy road is rather unnerving.
The only two times I have "rolled coal" on riders are when I did it unintentionally trying to make a pass with a heavy stock trailer and when it was a rider on the same shop team as I am who was all over the yellow line.
Quote Reply
Re: Have you experienced "rolling coal"? [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kdw wrote:
"That would be sweet revenge."

Sweet revenge would be finding out where they park the thing and shoving a roll of frozen pillsbury chocolate chip cookie dough down the exhaust pipe with a stick.

that would be both sweet and delicious smelling....
Quote Reply

Prev Next