Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hardest Iron-distance?
Quote | Reply
Hi there,

Im looking into the options for the harder Iron-distance races and stumbled across this: The Evergreen 228, http://www.evergreen-endurance.com/en/welcome/. The course looks beautiful but serious... Unless I'm mistaken this looks like it may be one of the Hardest long distance Tri's out there - certainly in terms of height gain, although I think they do have an extended cut off time of 24Hrs? There is also the half Iron (EG2118) but I'm a bit 'all or nothing'!

Has anyone raced this event before or can they offer a comparison to Norseman/Swissman etc? I'm a very experienced trail/ ultra runner and this race could suit me, its nice to see this event bringing in a trail run marathon. Also can anyone advise on the best Gear ratio for a bike course like this?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Hardest Iron-distance? [mountainrunner1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know how hard it is for comparison but the run goes straight up the road in front of my apartment and that run from Cham town centre to the Plan d'aiguille sucks..........and the way down is worse.........

That is a monstrous course run wise, i usually do town centre to brevant which is about the same elevation gain but a significantly longer route, chapeau to anyone that enters or finishes..........
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow! The bike a lone looks crazy already with 15,800ft of climbing. The Alps usually aren't super steep so I would think a 34 x 27 might be fine. Must be an awesome race location and quite an adventure, but probably with better changes of good weather vs Norseman (and easier to get to!).

Quote | Reply
Weather - I'd not count on the weather, thats within 2 weeks of UTMB and I think 2 years ago, maybe 3, UTMB was re-routed due to snow / ice, closed passes, each year the weather for the last three I think has been pretty poor. Last summer was the wettest on record in the valley - so much snow the glaciers actually grew........which is good.

The biggest issue weather wise is likely to be the bike - the plan d'aiguille is just not that high, so if it is crap, probably the worse you get is rain and cold...........
Quote Reply
Re: Hardest Iron-distance? [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey guys - Thanks

I spoke to the organisers and they assured me that whilst the Chamonix mountain whether is unpredictable (part of the appeal!) the historic forecasts actually show its a good time of year for the course in general! I guess they have no interest in running an event in bad weather??. I have actually run on the Grand balcon Nord (I think its called) before and really like it... Killer up and down indeed but great trail! In any case I'm in..!
Quote Reply
Re: Hardest Iron-distance? [Cobble] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes thanks, sounds like good advise re the gear ratio... Thanks for the advice - Im booked up, now lets train for this beast!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They've told the UTMB that as well - its still been crap. Though thats obviously bad luck.

The petit and grand balcon nord are awesome, in fact the run down from argentierre is great. there's a mountain bike challenge of attempting to do both the petit sue and petit nord and to not dab. I can't even come close but its a good ride.

I don't know what logistics are like, I'd look at accommodation now if you're going to stay in Cham when you finish. Pointe Isabelle's probably the best location hotel wise, alternatively you can see what Mountain Base or the other agents have in terms of availability over that weekend.

I'd definitely advise staying and as soon as you finish go to the Moo bar for a burger, then Munchies the next night.
Quote Reply
Re: Hardest Iron-distance? [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool, thanks for the advice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're willing to travel there are a series in Europe which are epic.

Celtman - West coast of Scotland with offroad mountain marathon
Norseman and Swissman both of which are insane.
Quote Reply
Re: Hardest Iron-distance? [thebuzzle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did my first ultra at the weekend, man coming down a mountain brutal if you are not used to it, both body and mentally. I have done supposed tough IM Nice, Lanza and Norseman , but nothing left me in this much pain after the race.

I guess going up hill, ie at Norseman is a whole lot easier than coming down!
Quote Reply
Re: Hardest Iron-distance? [Roydema] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha Ha, yes it going to be very tough! I get the impression the event has a slightly different feel about it... a real emphasis on natural beauty and the journey with an extended cut-off time (24hrs) too. I see it more as an endurance challenge than an IM race tbh.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is another race in Scotland called City to Summit.
Total of about 20,000ft of elevation and the run takes you up and down Ben Nevis (highest mountain in the UK).

The route is all point to point rather than laps, it's more of an adventure race than anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I took photographs of the run portion whilst I was there last week - it really is brutal - I suspect that it will start to rival embrun, celtman and others assuming it survives.....

I'd not want to be descending from plan d'aguile at night and I'm pretty certain that some people will be doing most of their second lap if not first and second in the dark
Quote Reply
Re: Hardest Iron-distance? [Roydema] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Roydema wrote:
I did my first ultra at the weekend, man coming down a mountain brutal if you are not used to it, both body and mentally. I have done supposed tough IM Nice, Lanza and Norseman , but nothing left me in this much pain after the race.

I guess going up hill, ie at Norseman is a whole lot easier than coming down!

Did my first Norseman in 2013, lighting struck and the railway down was out. So all participants had to walk down. So best of both worlds ;)
Quote Reply