Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Hammer Nutrition Article
Quote | Reply
I was wondering if anyone has read an article that Hammer Nutrition pushed out recently regarding glycogen and timing of pre race Kcal intake?

http://www.hammernutrition.com/...al-knowledge-section

I would be interested in hearing from anyone from a scientific aspect. Thanks

Graham Wilson
USAT Level III Elite Coach
http://www.thewilsongroup.biz
Quote Reply
Re: Hammer Nutrition Article [feman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't comment from a scientific approach, but I have followed this method with really good success. Zero GI issues which has made such a huge impact in my ability to run off the bike!

My Website || Twitter || Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its pretty much what I do. Eat bread and PB when I wake up and a gel right before the gun. Whoever gave me that formula must've been working off the same principles of this article. It works for me and the science makes sense.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I pretty much disregard everything I hear from Hammer Nutrition. After they said you should not combine complex and simple sugars I don't trust them at all.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: Hammer Nutrition Article [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
I pretty much disregard everything I hear from Hammer Nutrition. After they said you should not combine complex and simple sugars I don't trust them at all.

jaretj

And why would you do that? Do you have conflicting information from another source or just your own anecdotal experience?

BTW, not new info from Hammer. That info has been published in multiple editions of their Endurance Athlete's Guide to Success.
Quote Reply
Re: Hammer Nutrition Article [TriBiker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriBiker wrote:
jaretj wrote:

jaretj

And why would you do that? Do you have conflicting information from another source or just your own anecdotal experience?

BTW, not new info from Hammer. That info has been published in multiple editions of their Endurance Athlete's Guide to Success.

Yes, it is completely wrong. Read the Lore of Running by Tim Noakes. Mixing different kinds of sugars in the right ratios will change the absorption process and you can get more calories in you using different paths.

They purposely misled people to sell their product.

They have some good info in their little booklet you referenced but it's all biased toward their products. They will sell you something for every little section of that article.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At my age it is dead fire certain that I will get up at 2:00 to use the bathroom. I put a 6-800 cal bottle in the bathroom, drink it when I get up, and then sleep in 'til race time.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
TriBiker wrote:
jaretj wrote:

jaretj

Yes, it is completely wrong. Read the Lore of Running by Tim Noakes. Mixing different kinds of sugars in the right ratios will change the absorption process and you can get more calories in you using different paths.

They have some good info in their little booklet you referenced but it's all biased toward their products. They will sell you something for every little section of that article.
Is that the part of the Lore of Running TN wants to rewrite following his epiphany on carbs? (mainly pink but also mainly serious)
Quote Reply
Re: Hammer Nutrition Article [TriNewbieZA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's science from just about any textbook on the subject in the last 20 years. I just mentioned one of them.

Don't get me wrong, Hammer makes a lot of good products but that "science" they use to sell it, not the whole truth.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
It's science from just about any textbook on the subject in the last 20 years. I just mentioned one of them.

Don't get me wrong, Hammer makes a lot of good products but that "science" they use to sell it, not the whole truth.

jaretj
Absolutely. How many companies use the whole truth to sell their products? As with everything you read...take with a pinch of salt and a dose of google search on the subject.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

I would say "misled" is a little heavy handed, but sure every company has a vested interest. I never got the impression in my communications with Bill Misner (impeccable credentials) gave a crap about selling anything, he just quoted me the science and never pushed a product. I guess ultimately we've all got to trust someone and be satisfied with our choice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You forgot to mention the artificial sweeteners in Hammer products.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
TriBiker wrote:
jaretj wrote:

jaretj

^^THIS^^ and I'm also on the Hammer blows bandwagon.

But in all fairness, EVERY company does stuff like this.
Quote Reply
Re: Hammer Nutrition Article [BrentwoodTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Please understand me, I'm not in the Hammer products Blows bandwagon, Just their articles are biased towards their products and one should not consider them as the authority on nutrition.

I have many friends that use their products and they do well with them. Personally I don't, but then again I use products that other people have issues with or just plainly don't like.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BrentwoodTriGuy wrote:
jaretj wrote:
TriBiker wrote:
jaretj wrote:

jaretj

And every jerk who can't resist to comment negatively does stuff like this. Geez.
Quote Reply
Re: Hammer Nutrition Article [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Old Hickory wrote:
BrentwoodTriGuy wrote:
jaretj wrote:
TriBiker wrote:
jaretj wrote:

jaretj

And every jerk who can't resist to comment negatively does stuff like this. Geez.

Not a jerk... just not taking the time to write out a long detailed reason why.... so, lazy would be better ;)

Hammer is not a good company. Years ago a swimmer tested positive for banned substances because Hammer contained bad ingredients when they said they didn't. That's reason enough to dislike this company.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

BACK TO TOPIC

I take in 500-600 Calories 3hrs before the dance. 15 minutes to gun another 100 calories w/ caffeine. It works every time. Only time I have bonked or felt depleted is when I didn't time nutrition on the bike. The run turned into a slow painful day. HA!
Quote Reply
Re: Hammer Nutrition Article [cobragolf79] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And back on topic...I eat two to three pop tarts (400 to 600 calories) two to three hours before every race and feel ready and raring to go every time.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in the same camp, not pop tarts though, I'm a bagel with peanut butter and banana kind of guy. Then 1-2 servings of Espresso Gel 20-30 minutes before the gun. Works like a charm for me regardless of the race distance.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If that is what you do every time, how do you know the Hammer plan of no breakfast would not work better for you? Not saying I buy it. I can barely imagine racing a sprint without breakfast.

Does anybody actually do this? Did anybody take the time to check their research?
Quote Reply
Re: Hammer Nutrition Article [MDub] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MDub wrote:
I can't comment from a scientific approach, but I have followed this method with really good success. Zero GI issues which has made such a huge impact in my ability to run off the bike!
+1

/Howie Nordström
Quote Reply
Re: Hammer Nutrition Article [lllusion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been using hammer the last 3 months and found it fine with me. (gel) The only reason I use this product is that the race this coming weekend is using Hammer for on course nutrition. .........I try to train using the product being offered at the event so at the water stations I can use the nutrition without distress. Also in case I need something or I drop something on the bike.

I think they are one of the only companies that sell Gel in bulk. thats a nice feature.

With all this nutrision talk, Bear Paws have been my main sourse of fuel lately!
Quote Reply
Re: Hammer Nutrition Article [Dirtsmart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you even read the question? So much armchair analysis on ST - I'm new around here, but yikes. So many opinions shared with so little evidence (anecdotal is not evidence, neither is n=1).

Clued in by a previous poster, I pulled out my "Lore of Running, 4th ed." and starting on pg137, Noakes talks about nutrition specific to the question. After a few pages of reading, it seems that the studies at the time (copyright 2003) show that carb loading has more to do with preventing hypoglycemia and keeping the liver glycogen stores high during the start of exercise than it does with increasing muscle glycogen stores(pg152). Its POSSIBLE that conventional wisdom (Noakes et al.) and HAMMER are BOTH right. Noakes et al. advocating carb loading and eating 3-hours prior to increase liver glycogen stores before, and HAMMER advocating ingesting glycogen during (with their product obviously, but no reason similar products wouldn't work) to "top off" or increase liver glycogen during exercise. If you have the book, and are interested in this, I recommend the handful of pages to shed more light on whats (possibly) going on.

If somebody has an actual study they could add that adds to this or changes the thinking, that would be interesting.
Quote Reply
Re: Hammer Nutrition Article [MVM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MVM wrote:
If that is what you do every time, how do you know the Hammer plan of no breakfast would not work better for you? .....

I've done more than a few races
Quote Reply
Re: Hammer Nutrition Article [Dirtsmart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been using Hammer Nutrition and Supplements exclusively for 1.5 years and six races. It's the only nutrition with which I have zero GI problems, and that's saying something given my digestive issues. I've tested each product individually to see the effects on my training and racing performance; they all help: HEED, Sustained Energy, Hammer Bars & Gels, Endurolytes Extreme, Race Caps Supreme, Mito Caps, Anti-Fatigue Caps, Tissue Rejuvenator, Vegan Protein, Premium Insurance Caps, and this week I'm testing Race Day Boost. My pre-race nutrition has changed over this time and is now very much in line with Hammer recommendations because that's what works (better... for me).

chossmonster wrote:
...I pulled out my "Lore of Running, 4th ed." and starting on pg137...
Thanks!

/Howie Nordström
Quote Reply

Prev Next