Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
HITS Napa hypothermia
Quote | Reply
Water was 37 degrees? Isn't there a cutoff for safety purposes?
http://www.sfgate.com/...toms-Of-11060306.php
Quote Reply
Re: HITS Napa hypothermia [seeyouincourt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Water temp wasn't 37. The temp at the lake was 37.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WTC and ITU both have temperature guidelines. 37F would have been a full swim cancellation. HITS does its own thing.
Quote Reply
Re: HITS Napa hypothermia [thisgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I misread that. Coludn't have been that much colder than the bay this morning off acquatic park then, when I swam, and it was raining.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The water temperature was between 59-64F via this link:
http://www.westernbass.com/lake/berryessa

There is a frost warning for the area, so the 37F is the air temperature via :

http://www.accuweather.com/...her-warnings/2643750

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
seeyouincourt wrote:

Did race in 2015. The valley up there is almost always close to freezing on race morning. Not sure if the rain hit up there this morning as well. That is a race where it is almost always necessary to put on a dry top and dry off before hitting the bike.

Re: HITS Napa hypothermia [JustinNorCal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Then you get on a moving bike and it's worse. Had a friend at Oceanside spend 25 minutes getting warm in T1, 58 degree water 50 air temp. 37 would be utterly miserable. Especially if not dressed for it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't remember it being that cold on the bike last year and the run was pretty warm. The really miserable part is the long slow drive out to the race.
Quote Reply
Re: HITS Napa hypothermia [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's actually a really nice bike course in Napa with a lot of newly paved roads, scenic, and only the occasional car.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
seeyouincourt wrote:
It's actually a really nice bike course in Napa with a lot of newly paved roads, scenic, and only the occasional car.

Yeah, now that Knoxville road is paved (most of the way) the bike course is much more enjoyable and navigable.

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
seeyouincourt wrote:
I don't remember it being that cold on the bike last year and the run was pretty warm. The really miserable part is the long slow drive out to the race.

Last year it rained Sat and Sunday, but was not super cold. The first year of Napa was real cold, which I am expecting tomorrow.
But, it is not supposed to rain and not be as cold as I thought. I have packed tons of different things to wear. If I were not going for
a time, I would spend a lot of time in T1 putting stuff on. But, ....

Shall be interesting. We are up to 70 inches of rain where I live. I am SO tired of the rain and cold!!!

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
seeyouincourt wrote:

Suck it up, buttercup.

I once got an ambulance ride to the hospital, after getting hypothermia on the bike after a chilly swim in a HIM.

And you know what?
IT WAS MY OWN DAMN FAULT.

I was stupid, and didn't dry off enough, nor did I wear warm enough clothing on the bike.
I literally had a jacket hanging at my rack in transition, but since I felt fine and surprisingly comfy after the HIM swim part, I left it there because I wanted to be more aero.
F'n idiot.

I've subsequently done races where that same sort of thing could have happened again, but I'm less stupid now, so I take the time in transition to properly dry off and/or put on appopriate clothing so I don't freeze and die on the bike.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: HITS Napa hypothermia [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, what was the temp? These guys do have a knack for freezing people. Cold races; Napa, Palm Sprngs, Hunter, North Country and even his year at Naples Fl. They do add to the problem, at Naples the Gulf was so churned up on Sunday that no one could swim in it. So, after making everyone wait around and around in 40 degrees, they decided to make everyone walk about 100 yds through the water. Then of course you froze on the bike and I didn't warm up any on the run.

These guys must just love to freeze people.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: HITS Napa hypothermia [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was probably even colder this morning. Temps were 5-6 degrees colder in my neck of the Bay this morning than yesterday.
Quote Reply
Re: HITS Napa hypothermia [Erin C.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HITS has been around for at least 5 years and they still haven't caught on to do this.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Last edited by: Sweeney: Apr 9, 17 16:08
Quote Reply
Re: HITS Napa hypothermia [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is an understatement ... there (HITS) lack of procedure and general care for athletes this weekend in Napa county was negligent behavior. I feel bad for less experienced athletes who don't have the guidance or race experience to make better choices that the RD should help make or provide for them.

-------------------------
Dave Latourette
http://www.TTENation.com
Quote Reply
Re: HITS Napa hypothermia [Erin C.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Erin C. wrote:
Was probably even colder this morning. Temps were 5-6 degrees colder in my neck of the Bay this morning than yesterday.

The water temp was 56.2
My wife had the air temp at 32.

I probably had hypothermia on the bike and was glad I did not crash.

Off the bike my legs were SO cold I have a terrible run.

Oh well, battle another day.

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: HITS Napa hypothermia [Dave Latourette] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dave Latourette wrote:
That is an understatement ... there (HITS) lack of procedure and general care for athletes this weekend in Napa county was negligent behavior. I feel bad for less experienced athletes who don't have the guidance or race experience to make better choices that the RD should help make or provide for them.

Dave, I have done every race HITS that as been put on at Napa. I have to be honest, today was by far the worst one that has been put on. I could go into lots of details but,...

What for me is the most upsetting is the race times are messed up. They have me down for a time 1.5 minutes slower than my watch. Have never had this happen.
When I talked to the RD he said but all the folks in the wave start are the same so nothing matters. I said you do not understand, some of us are racing for USAT ranking points. Final race time DOES matter, it is how we do compared to the first wave of studs. And having the correct relative times is how the rankings are done for everyone. They sent all the later waves from the start at times greater than what were put into the timing system, and by his response to me, he did not care. Even the race company timer did not care. This for me is more upsetting since this was a USAT certified race, and I only raced it chasing ranking points. No one even in my AG was, well, when you hit 60, what does one expect.

Wait to you hear about the bike racks. I sure was not happy seeing mine laying on the ground!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Raced there in 2012. 53dF water, brrrrr, but calm and sunny at T1, so didn't even think to dress warm. First ~15' of the bike were fine, and then we rode into a gigantic fog bank (35 miles maybe?), and I absolutely froze my fucking tits off. Shivering and weaving and utter lack of cognitive abilities.

And then of course it was baking hot for the end of the ride and all of the run. Go figure.

And, just like Murphy's Law wrote, totally my fault :)

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Re: HITS Napa hypothermia [renorider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
renorider wrote:
Raced there in 2012. 53dF water, brrrrr, but calm and sunny at T1, so didn't even think to dress warm. First ~15' of the bike were fine, and then we rode into a gigantic fog bank (35 miles maybe?), and I absolutely froze my fucking tits off. Shivering and weaving and utter lack of cognitive abilities.

And then of course it was baking hot for the end of the ride and all of the run. Go figure.

And, just like Murphy's Law wrote, totally my fault :)

It was hot on the run today? I was still freezing. Could not feel my feet. Legs would not work. I kept hoping when I hit some direct sun I would get
warm but never happened for me. :(

Quote Reply
Re: HITS Napa hypothermia [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:

It was hot on the run today?

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He still got brain-freeze, as evident by his rant.

renorider wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

Quote Reply
Re: HITS Napa hypothermia [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chris,
I was dressed just fine at Oceanside with a warm coffee in hand.
Thank you for your concerns though ;>)

Seriously though, I will never sign up for that race unless they push it back to at least June.

2017 Cervelo P2
2017 Cervelo S2
itraininla.com
#itraininla
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
renorider wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

I remember that race. Boy what I would have given to have had that issue again yesterday.

Oh well, the positive about signing up for an early season race is it got me to do various types of training I might not have done otherwise.
Still way behind for IMSR 70.3 but will just use it has a long training day. :( Just hope it is warmer or I will put on lots of clothes before I get
out on the bike since I do not care what my time will be.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just saw our local news with a title saying 1 cyclist is in the hospital and 30 others dealt with for Hypothermia from the HITS Napa race. Pretty bad.

Quote Reply

Prev Next