Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: HED H3+ [ludlaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
like someone said above, 2sec/km is likely within the range of the difference between the 20mm SS and the 22mm Attack considering both aero and Crr, unless you knew you had a good Attack (Crr same as SS 23mm). Even so, the SS 23mm is narrower than the 22mm Attack I think in actual measured width.

ludlaw wrote:
Interesting. So in my limited field testing yesterday I rode a Jet 6 (C2 not +) with a 22mm Attack, a H3+ with a 22mm Attack (different tire) and H3 with 20mm SS. The Jet 6 and H3+ performed about the same and the H3 was much faster watt for watt. I wonder about using a 20mm SS on the H3+ @ 90 psi.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: HED H3+ [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no, they updated that comment, as 2w/km is ~ 20w by ROT.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericM40-44 wrote:
Zipp told us that the GP4000s 23mm is the fastest tire for their wheel

I'm curious if someone can point to a source for that claim.

I recall the rim was reportedly:
(a) optimized for a 23C tire,
... but I was looking for and never saw a claim that:
(b) a 23C tire was optimal for that rim.

Two statements with similar, but not quite the same, meaning.

In my experience testing tires and rims (in CFD and wind tunnel testing), the most aero tire is usually narrower than the rim it's on, and the most aero rim is usually wider than the tire mounted on it.

HED's recent patent puts some numbers on this relationship.

Cheers,
Damon

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Last edited by: damon_rinard: Feb 23, 16 13:59
Quote Reply
Re: HED H3+ [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
people don't want to hear that or will justify other reasons for going for the slower combo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damon, I don't remember for sure, and don't want to name names but I think that I remember Jordan Rapp saying something about it here when he was a Zipp athlete. I think it was more an accident that they found the 23mm GP4000s to be faster, not by design, so b) in your post. But I also wonder, because they have a graph that shows the 22mm Attack slightly faster still, in line with what you would expect a narrower tire to be. Maybe it was just an urban myth that got spread around ST.

I always wondered about the claims of a 23mm GP4000s as it's a bit wider than my Firecrest 808s. Luckily I have a 22mm Attack on par with the Crr of a 23mm SS or 24mm Turbo Cotton, 24mm Force, etc. and so I run that up front. I always considered the 20mm SS too narrow for my wheels and also not as fast rolling as my 22mm Attack.

that said, I brought that up as an example of the industry's race to be the fastest at 20 degrees of yaw and 18mph, for *individual* components, which muddies the water with what we're really after as lower yaw athletes:

what's the fastest wheel tire combo for our bikes?
What is the optimized tire for our wheel?
Is the HED 3 "watts to spin" myth really true or not?
Why does everyone report great things from the H3 when all competitors and even HED in some graphs have it slower?
If the H3 is a good wheel, does the H3+ additional width allow for a better rolling tire and what are the aero gains/penalties of the wider rim?

damon_rinard wrote:
ericM40-44 wrote:

I recall the rim was reportedly
(1) optimized for a 23C tire, but I was looking for and never saw a claim that

In my experience testing tires and rims (in CFD and wind tunnel testing), the most aero tire is usually narrower than the rim it's on, and the most aero rim is usually wider than the tire mounted on it.

In fact HED's patent puts numbers on this effect.

Cheers,
Damon

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Last edited by: ericM40-44: Feb 23, 16 11:06
Quote Reply
Re: HED H3+ [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
whoops. yeah that is a lot.

jeffp wrote:
no, they updated that comment, as 2w/km is ~ 20w by ROT.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jeffp wrote:
people don't want to hear that or will justify other reasons for going for the slower combo

Except that's only addressing the aero part of the equation.

"Low Crr can make up for a lot of aero 'sins' " - me :-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: HED H3+ [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes, hence my statement that dual 23ss probably the best choice even tho not the most aero.

that said, crr was not going to make up what I saw on the p5-6 with the 4000s aero penalty
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I were you I'd try to get my hands on a 23mm super sonic and swap the tire between the rims between runs. I have a HED3+ coming in about three weeks so I'll do some testing with a fresh 22mm Attack.

I have a new route for field testing that's heavily tree lined. Should be near zero yaw.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Right, lots of imaginary flow analysis going on.

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom, some of this doesn't add up. You found the HED 6+, the Specialized Roval, and the HED 3 all with optimal tires to be nearly the same.

However the OP finds the H3 w/ 20mm SS to be 20 watts better than the H3+ or Jet C2 both with Conti Attacks.

Assuming both Attack and 20mm SS roll the same, what do you make of this?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Damon, any insight on watts to spin?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jeffp wrote:
yes, hence my statement that dual 23ss probably the best choice even tho not the most aero.

that said, crr was not going to make up what I saw on the p5-6 with the 4000s aero penalty

I'm starting to wonder if high yaw components play nicely with each other and low yaw components play nicely with each other but mixing them is a crap shoot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you could wonder how well same position was held for 3 10km laps=varies around
you could wonder how wind conditions remained static=varies around
you could wonder if temps remained constant=varies around
you could wonder if air pressure remained static=varies around

we did not get numbers for power, speed or any of the above.
i'd take the supplied info as anecdotal until more data supplied
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericM40-44 wrote:
Tom, some of this doesn't add up. You found the HED 6+, the Specialized Roval, and the HED 3 all with optimal tires to be nearly the same.

However the OP finds the H3 w/ 20mm SS to be 20 watts better than the H3+ or Jet C2 both with Conti Attacks.

Assuming both Attack and 20mm SS roll the same, what do you make of this?

2 things:
1. He probably doesn't have a "magic" Attack with the lower Crr
2. As he pointed out, the difference could be in wheel only vs. in-bike testing...although, the testing we did in the Win Tunnel tended to show that the deltas in aero for front-wheel only "held" when put into the 2 bikes tested (Venge Vias and Stinner w/S5 fork).

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A long time ago, I got 1-5% in a CFD simulation, but I don't really trust it as definitive since I never validated it.

Electrical power to drive the wheel in a tunnel is easy to measure, but also includes the motor's losses and tire rolling resistance due to the roller's press-on force. It's not easy to separate these components.

I'm still waiting for a clear answer, but so far other things are higher on my list.

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
having just taken my bike outside the last 2 days for inaugural runs of the year, I am not sure I would test any tire in a jet+/H3+ wheel above 90 psi. I did 90 psi yesterday(1st outdoor of year) and damn, I was getting beat up badly compared to the trainer :( tried 80 psi today and it was a lot nicer, still feel jarred on the larger cracked in road but the smaller cracks/chip seal type stuff felt smoother. you still know you are on it, but much nicer at 80 than 90. could be the 23SS I ut on front with latex tube vs double butyl yesterday. looks like it will be a while before ride 3 outdoors happens. turning colder again with snow in forecast. Maybe another 9 days or more to get above 50 again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

i won't have a chance to do any real life testing.

for TTing, what's the best combo considering both crr and cda? my hunch from all i've read is that it is h3+/20SS, or attack if I'm worried about flats.

h3+ / 20SS
h3+ / attack
h3+ / 23 SS

h3 / 20SS
Quote Reply
Re: HED H3+ [buzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think a 20mm SS would fit safely on the H3+ (I'll let you know in about a week when I get mine). A 23mm SS is probably a better bet.
Quote Reply
Re: HED H3+ [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it will fit, HED wont recommend it, and you are on your own using it

tires on the plus rims seem to get locked on even when deflated until you push them back to center channel
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericM40-44 wrote:
Damon, I don't remember for sure, and don't want to name names but I think that I remember Jordan Rapp saying something about it here when he was a Zipp athlete. I think it was more an accident that they found the 23mm GP4000s to be faster, not by design, so b) in your post. But I also wonder, because they have a graph that shows the 22mm Attack slightly faster still, in line with what you would expect a narrower tire to be. Maybe it was just an urban myth that got spread around ST.

I always wondered about the claims of a 23mm GP4000s as it's a bit wider than my Firecrest 808s. Luckily I have a 22mm Attack on par with the Crr of a 23mm SS or 24mm Turbo Cotton, 24mm Force, etc. and so I run that up front. I always considered the 20mm SS too narrow for my wheels and also not as fast rolling as my 22mm Attack.

that said, I brought that up as an example of the industry's race to be the fastest at 20 degrees of yaw and 18mph, for *individual* components, which muddies the water with what we're really after as lower yaw athletes:

what's the fastest wheel tire combo for our bikes?
What is the optimized tire for our wheel?
Is the HED 3 "watts to spin" myth really true or not?
Why does everyone report great things from the H3 when all competitors and even HED in some graphs have it slower?
If the H3 is a good wheel, does the H3+ additional width allow for a better rolling tire and what are the aero gains/penalties of the wider rim?

damon_rinard wrote:
ericM40-44 wrote:

I recall the rim was reportedly
(1) optimized for a 23C tire, but I was looking for and never saw a claim that

In fact HED's patent puts numbers on this effect.

Cheers,
Damon

The wheel was designed around use of a 23mm tire, but that doesn't necessarily mean that a 23mm tire was fastest. It's still really hard to get around the speed of narrowness (aerodynamically). In this case, it was more issues of total fit. Basically, trying to minimize the penalty of using a wider tire. The goal, of course, was to design a rim for tires that people actually use. And to try to shrink the aero hit so that Crr gains more than made up for it.

Yes, the GP4000S was a "fluke" by all accounts. Maybe Continental knew what they were doing, but maybe not. There's also some importance that different rims do better with different tires. I.e., the GP4000S was a really good match for the Firecrest shape. But that doesn't mean it was/is THE fastest tire (aerodynamically) for ALL wheels.

At the time the wheels were benchmarked, I *recall* (perhaps incorrectly) that the 22mm attack (and some of the other newer Conti tires) hadn't yet been upgraded to the Black Chili rubber, so they were fast aero-wise but bad for Crr. That's hard for Zipp to update with speed, because Continental is a separate company.

Anyway, I think the fastest - aero tire - is still the narrowest (though maybe not if you are talking SUPER narrow tires like 18 or 19mm where the lip would be really pronounced; but nobody really seems to run those anymore anyway...). In terms of practical tires, the 22mm Attack seems to be the fastest, but of course it is a (relatively) narrow tire, though it'll be wider on a wider rim than it would be on a narrower rim.

All your other questions are good questions that I don't have much to add except, "it depends." And, in the case of the H3, it *seems* like the "it depends" depends on MORE variables than other wheels. Like, the variance on that wheel is quite high depending on other stuff...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

suppose one wanted the trade-off of the extra flat resistance of a gp4000 ...

on an h3+, over 40 km/h

how many seconds over 40km would i be losing vs a 23mm supersonic?

am i splitting hairs at that point? or could it be > 10 seconds?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd guess 20-30sec of crr time depending on your speed/yaw conditions, except that is a shot in the dark, completely
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

hmm .. well if that was the case it would be significant!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well, don't know how the two stack up aerowise or on which particular bike set up.
Quote Reply

Prev Next