Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Guru CR.901 Aerodynamics/Speed
Quote | Reply
I've been considering the Guru CR.901, but have been told by a handful of people that it has tested very poorly for aerodynamics, that it's not a fast bike and it's heavy. I've done some research and can't find any concrete proof of this or any comparison to super bikes like the Speed Concept or Shiv. I was hoping to get something a little more unique and custom after riding a Cervelo for 6 years, but I want a high performing bike. I'm competitive at the Ironman distance and can't afford to drop so much money on something that doesn't perform. Curious if anyone knows if these are just opinions or truly fact. And any feedback on the 901, Speed Concept and Shiv would also be great. Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: Guru CR.901 Aerodynamics/Speed [LazyMarathoner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LazyMarathoner wrote:
I was hoping to get something a little more unique and custom

are you 7 feet tall? 4 feet?

do you have crazy long or short wingspan?

any other morphological idiosyncrasies or defects?

then you don't need a custom bike.

Shiv and Speed Concept are fast bikes, especially for slower riders, and are highly adjustable.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Guru CR.901 Aerodynamics/Speed [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericM40-44 wrote:
LazyMarathoner wrote:
I was hoping to get something a little more unique and custom

are you 7 feet tall? 4 feet?

do you have crazy long or short wingspan?

any other morphological idiosyncrasies or defects?

then you don't need a custom bike.

Shiv and Speed Concept are fast bikes, especially for slower riders, and are highly adjustable.

Forgot to call out that I'm looking at the stock CR.901, not the custom. It's $850 cheaper. I do have some challenges with torso and leg length, but can definitely fit on a stock bike with some adjustments.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Look at Blue. I sure love my Triad SL......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haven't seen any testing of CR.901 but the old Crono tested terribly so people may be basing their opinions on that. The CR.901 does look vastly better than its predecessor but that doesn't mean it is at superbike level.

For TT bikes stick to production models (unless you have a weird position) as they will be faster.
But for a road bike feel free (if you're not a hardcore racer) to find some guy with a beard to do a custom steel frame with amazing lug work and crazy paint.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is heavy, ~1500g for my relatively small frame if I recall. My eyeball aero assessment would put it closer to the old P2C/P3C, certainly not any of the current super bikes, but like you I've never seen any tunnel results, just the old Chrono, which you could tell was an aero brick just by looking at it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What cervelo were/are you on or previously?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Guru head office is literally two doors down from my work place. I probably see more Gurus than I should due to proximity. Yet I see less Gurus than most other big brands (Specialized, Trek, etc.), and other local brands like Garneau, Devinci and Argon 18. I can probably count on one hand the number of Gurus I see on bike trails through the year.

Their whole thing is customization: size customization, paint customization. If you are looking for that, then they're for you. If not, look elsewhere, you will find better bikes, cheaper. They're not bad bikes - they're just not awesome. And they are pricey. Dollar for dollar, I do not see any reason why you would take a similarly priced Guru over a Cervelo, or a Argon 18, or a Specialized, or...

On the flip side, Guru usually does a clearance sale once a year on inventory, demos and returns. You could find a very good deal on a frame or complete bike, and that might bring it to par with other brands.
Quote Reply
Re: Guru CR.901 Aerodynamics/Speed [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
What cervelo were/are you on or previously?

I'm on a 2009 P2C. I've had it forever and it's been a good bike, but it's time to go. I am not at all interested in another Cervelo, but am open to the other superbikes if they truly are that much faster. I'm consistently around 10th in my AG and am aiming to step it up quite a bit next season so while I am attracted to the uniqueness of the Guru, I don't want to make a foolish purchase based on aesthetics.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well with a Trek you can get custom paint through Project 1. Even with Cervelo you can go through the approved custom painter and still retain the warranty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pimp your P2. Job done. Stop looking at bikes that won't make you any faster.

Mott did an interesting job on his wife's P2C:

http://austintriathlonstore.blogspot.de/...-aging-tri-bike.html

-------------------------------
´Get the most aero and light bike you can get. With the aero advantage you can be saving minutes and with the weight advantage you can be saving seconds. In a race against the clock both matter.´

BMANX
Quote Reply
Re: Guru CR.901 Aerodynamics/Speed [Barchettaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly what I am doing with the P2C
Quote Reply
Re: Guru CR.901 Aerodynamics/Speed [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The best aero bike is the one that fits you the best and gives you the optimal position, power output, and aerodynamics. The most aero bike is not necessarily the best bike for everyone. Put a person on the bike, then test power and aerodynamics. I think we go about testing all backwards. Don't test the aero properties of a bike without a rider. Test one person on several bikes, do the best fit for that person on the bike, then test the aero properties and power output. This would be ideal. Of course, it's tremendously expensive. With all that being said, I do have a CR.901 and love it. I got it because it fits me very well and some other bikes just weren't as comfortable despite swapping out parts to make them fit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BMANX wrote:
Exactly what I am doing with the P2C

Some more photos would be good, it's a team game remember (you do the work, we comment)

-------------------------------
´Get the most aero and light bike you can get. With the aero advantage you can be saving minutes and with the weight advantage you can be saving seconds. In a race against the clock both matter.´

BMANX
Quote Reply
Re: Guru CR.901 Aerodynamics/Speed [Barchettaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorting out the paint.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The other bike I'm looking at is the Speed Concept - any thoughts on that one?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do not think any of the bikes that you have mentioned are bad bikes. I think they are great if they fit you. BUT as others have mentioned, if the P2 fits, you can spend less money and upgrade that to be within seconds of the much more expensive bikes you are looking at. Just depends on if you want to upgrade and spend less or if you want to buy a new bike.
Last edited by: BMANX: Nov 20, 14 7:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 901. I knew when I bought it didn't stack up with the super bikes and didn't have any expectation that it did. I didn't pay even close to retail price, so the premium I would have paid to be slower wasn't as bad as it could have been. Still, I love the bike. It has a superb ride, allowed me to get in a position that would have required some creativity on most stock frames and IMO looks pretty good. Mostly, I liked my LBS and decided to go with their flagship brand despite the lack of wind tunnel pedigree.

I think you'd be happy with one if you got it, but don't expect it to be any faster than your P2.

-Andrew
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a friend that has a custom CR.901

It's a nice bike but nothing super-bike about it. With that said if I needed a bike and the fit was right I would have no problem purchasing one.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BMANX wrote:
I do not think any of the bikes that you have mentioned are bad bikes. I think they are great if they fit you. BUT as others have mentioned, if the P2 fits, you can spend less money and upgrade that to be within seconds of the much more expensive bikes you are looking at. Just depends on if you want to upgrade and spend less or if you want to buy a new bike.

I've already upgraded the P2 as much as it can be. It's a pretty old bike and started to have too many issues to tolerate. I have enjoyed it, but it did take 4 very expensive fittings to get the position right so I know I can do better. Luckily a lot of the upgrades I made can be moved over to the new frame, whatever I end up with.
Quote Reply
Re: Guru CR.901 Aerodynamics/Speed [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:

It's a nice bike but nothing super-bike about it. With that said if I needed a bike and the fit was right I would have no problem purchasing one.

jaretj

That's what I don't get about Guru. The custom frame is $4,900.

That's the same price as a bunch of superbike frames and I'm probably being kind by saying the Guru is at least two generations behind from an aero and tech standpoint.

People get sold on the "custom" bullshit angle with the Gurus. That's great if you're an outlier, which most aren't.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Guru CR.901 Aerodynamics/Speed [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
most aren't but if you are, it's probably good.

the old Cervelo geometry was borderline long enough for me. I'm 5'10 on a 51cm p2SL, -17 120mm stem slammed with a 5mm spacer under the pads. I don't think ANY of the new superbikes would fit me, about as close as I'd be able to get is the Shiv TT.

as far as guru's being 2 gen behind, that's fine with me. right now I'm at least 5 generations behind the curve....

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Nov 20, 14 7:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GMAN19030 wrote:
jaretj wrote:

jaretj

That's the same price as a bunch of superbike frames and I'm probably being kind by saying the Guru is at least two generations behind from an aero and tech standpoint.

People get sold on the "custom" bullshit angle with the Gurus. That's great if you're an outlier, which most aren't.

I agree with you, and that's coming from a guy who owns one. I don't understand why anyone would pay anywhere near full price for one.

-Andrew
Quote Reply
Re: Guru CR.901 Aerodynamics/Speed [AMT04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AMT04 wrote:
GMAN19030 wrote:
jaretj wrote:

jaretj

I agree with you, and that's coming from a guy who owns one. I don't understand why anyone would pay anywhere near full price for one.

Call it the Shama Effect here in Houston. :-)

He has convinced a shit ton of people with normal fit parameters to buy an overpriced, and antiquated "custom" bike.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GMAN19030 wrote:
AMT04 wrote:
GMAN19030 wrote:
jaretj wrote:

jaretj

Call it the Shama Effect here in Houston. :-)

He has convinced a shit ton of people with normal fit parameters to buy an overpriced, and antiquated "custom" bike.

They look good though! Honestly though, it's a good bike. Mid-tier at a premium price.

-Andrew
Quote Reply

Prev Next